10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Is this panic driven, or something else?

Yes, it is hype driven - but that doesn't mean that prices won't continue to rise.

There is no comparative justification for these prices - but once a frenzy begins (like with the stock market) crazy things can happen. 

Edited by KShine

How many town halls do u have?

Just a FYI...

Asking how many units someone has of a set, how much they paid for each, etc... is kinda like asking how much money they have in their bank accounts. Some folks might answer while others will not. Just wanted to let you know. Additionally, if I told you I own 30 units, how would you ever know I was lying? You couldn't :)

I was "lucky" enough to have WM deliver one in a heavily damaged box--first modular I built.

Yes, thats really lucky....

Sometimes i wish i got a damaged box too..... :boredom:

I knew a shop which have one Town Hall in Stock in a really damaged box (for 179 Euro)

I dont know if i should buy it. Must drive about 200mls one way to the shop (in a very small town and in a very small bookshop - yes a book store)

Unbelievable, but thats the reason why they didnt sell it until now. ;)

Just a FYI...

Asking how many units someone has of a set, how much they paid for each, etc... is kinda like asking how much money they have in their bank accounts. Some folks might answer while others will not. Just wanted to let you know. Additionally, if I told you I own 30 units, how would you ever know I was lying? You couldn't :)

Oh, ok - sorry.

I didnt think about that. Here in germany its normal to ask things like that....

• Like 1

It is not common to ask what the banc accounts balance is in germany....oO

Please let's not turn this into another Yanks vs Bratwurst skirmish.

Jaisonline's point that asking about inventory stocks is comparable to asking about account balances is just his POV (nothing wrong with that) and I hardly think that he wanted to come over as "In the US, we ..."

Please let's not turn this into another Yanks vs Bratwurst skirmish.

Jaisonline's point that asking about inventory stocks is comparable to asking about account balances is just his POV (nothing wrong with that) and I hardly think that he wanted to come over as "In the US, we ..."

In Soviet Russia inventory ask about YOU!

• Like 3

the problem is used ones are going for new prices, lol.

it's only going to get worse and the used one you buy now to build will still increase in value and should you choose to sell it in the future, you will make money.

the curve for used TH starts at the bottom on the left and goes up and to the right from here on out.

i paid almost $600 for a used CafeCorner and $1000 for a used GrandCarousel.  

a used TH for $200 will seem like a bargain in not too distant future and i imagine there are investors grabbing used TH's too.  when a new TH is getting 800-600, you can expect a used one to get at least half that and even more if it has a good box and intact instruction book.

Edited by cladner

Does LEGO have any reason to retire this set anymore? If we take the two reasons for early retirement to be 1) low popularity and 2) high MSRP, then all LEGO has to do is take a glance at ebay and amazon to see that there is still a market left for the set at way high prices. And for all the sales happening online at above MSRP right now, there are surely plenty of people left who missed out on the Town Hall and can't afford paying over MSRP but would jump on an opportunity to buy from LEGO again.

I admit that I don't know much about how LEGO works as a company, but it would seem really stubborn to me if they decide to go out of their way to retire this set early while there is still a proven demand. There are so many options available to them right now: making the set online-only, opening up back orders first, even raising the MSRP slightly for a re-release. Maybe all of these are uncommon, but so is retiring a set two years early, no?

Am I just being dense?

Does LEGO have any reason to retire this set anymore? If we take the two reasons for early retirement to be 1) low popularity and 2) high MSRP, then all LEGO has to do is take a glance at ebay and amazon to see that there is still a market left for the set at way high prices. And for all the sales happening online at above MSRP right now, there are surely plenty of people left who missed out on the Town Hall and can't afford paying over MSRP but would jump on an opportunity to buy from LEGO again.

I admit that I don't know much about how LEGO works as a company, but it would seem really stubborn to me if they decide to go out of their way to retire this set early while there is still a proven demand. There are so many options available to them right now: making the set online-only, opening up back orders first, even raising the MSRP slightly for a re-release. Maybe all of these are uncommon, but so is retiring a set two years early, no?

Am I just being dense?

There will be demand until it re-releases.  Then it will sit on the shelf.  :rofl:

• Like 1