10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

By the time I go through 128 pages of thread, the detective agency will also have retired!

Seriously, I get the idea and one only has to look on EBay UK to see that they are going for almost double MSRP whilst it has an on sale tag slapped on it in Lego Shop.

By the time I go through 128 pages of thread, the detective agency will also have retired!

Seriously, I get the idea and one only has to look on EBay UK to see that they are going for almost double MSRP whilst it has an on sale tag slapped on it in Lego Shop.

Yes, that's a 131 pages since Sept. 17, 2014.

where do guys see this set... two years from now? 500-550??

Easily...

I think this set has all the potential. It (not officially, I know) retired unexpected. Lego is more popular than ever. So the sets that went away suddenly will rise fast. The usual suspects will rise slowly.

where do guys see this set... two years from now? 500-550??

I sold one locally yesterday for $410 shipped (CAD). I almost backed out because I know if I wait a year or two I could probably get another couple hundred...but luckily I listened to Ed and have a few. But I'm not even thinking about selling another until it hits $550-600. I think maybe a year to get there...

Now that the current polll is outdated - official retirement was not announced in 2014, I would be fascinated to have a new poll on how many sets people own for resale.

e.***. none, 1, 2-5, 6-10.11-15, more than 15. That should give an insight into how hoarded this set has been.

This should give you some idea. On bricklink there are 208 THs available worldwide. Compare that to 1347 GEs.

I'd say TH caught alot off guard. Most importantly it caught the large resellers off guard. Guys that have 600-700 each of FB, GE and PS only have a handful of TH.

In the last 6 mos TH sold 368 units and there are only 208 available. For comparison FB did 280 but there are 991 still listed. GE did 366 vs 1347 available. IMO TH will perform like MS and CC. GE will do roughly the same as FB. 

• Like 1

I think this set will skyrocket, because:

1) EOL was very unexpected and without any logic, not just resellers, but also normal AFOLs missed the train (I have had several calls last days whether I have this set),

2) the set is from most popular AFOL theme - modulars, you just need it for completion of the serie,

3) this set is the biggest and one of the most iconic modular; you can miss the PS or DA, but not this set, which every visit will see towering above other modulars.

Based on this, it can easy reach EUR 300 till the middle of the year, EUR 350 till the end of year, and EUR 500 in the end of 2016, EUR 600-700 in 2017, etc, etc, till reaching the EUR 1000-1100 after 4-5 years.

Wow... wasn't watching and hadn't noticed this one had climbed that far.  Hey... just noticed:  Here in USA, Amazon and ebay prices are about the same at 2 x MSRP.

Also interesting, 10228 HH is also at 2 x MSRP (I think HH was the clear leader before).

And also noteworthy: both can be had for 10% less on Brick Classifieds ! :)

Tough one to call. Right now prices should be being tapered back by it being on sale at Lego and not yet formally retired. When that changes there should be a surge in demand but if you buy at 400USD what would be your selling point - 600, 800, 1200? It could take more time than it is worth to reach that amount  whereas there are other son to retire sets like EV which could turn a faster profit.

Anyone think it's worth buying now at $400? Ed has talked about buying sets over retail and having success. 

There are better options for your $400.

If you buy at $400 you now need around $475 on ebay just to break even after shipping and fees. Seems like there's lower hanging fruit out there.

I don't think you'll LOSE any money on it, but you might be holding for quite a while. At what point is it worth moving for you? 100 profit? 200, 400? Think about the price points it will have to hit for you to get that net profit. How many buyers will go that high? Do you start to get into riskier customers when sets get this expensive? I don't have any data on that, but it feels like a risk.

your hold will be pretty long at that entry point. Money is better invested in other sets IMO. If it was 250-275$ then yes, $400 is a bit rich for my own taste.

Yea I agree, just wanted to throw it out there. I only suggest it because it has risen so fast. 

I have a few but like most of us wish I had bought more. I would buy at $300 or less right now. Can't say I would pay that much over retail for HH or AA.