10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

Comes back to what I posted some weeks ago. A big legostore owner told me lego is to produce less bigger sets and ramping up production of the smaller sets cause lately they are selling the smaller ones more. He even said this in a regional newspaper when he was interviewed about his success as a lego entreponeur.

A Lego store owner???

Guest TabbyBoy

Lego UK has now restricted orders of rumoured EOL exclusives and modulars to 5 max. I had my order of 20 Pet Shops reduced to 5 this morning! ;-(

So, it must be our data. OK, thanks for solving that issue. Case closed. :thumbsup:

I would like to add that some people also buy in store and that would also skew your numbers lower. For example, I try and use affiliate links when possible but I also like to buy tax free. I may only make tax free purchases in person and as a Canadian, saving 8.5% tax on US msrp and exchange to Canadian funds is significant to me. For example, A GE can cost me 150us,163us or 199us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Brickpicker mobile app

Lego UK has now restricted orders of rumoured EOL exclusives and modulars to 5 max. I had my order of 20 Pet Shops reduced to 5 this morning! ;-(

Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant are rumored to be EOL???

Maybe they just set limits across the board for exclusives? To make it more like USA? To deal with them god damn resellers?

Guest TabbyBoy

So now the question is to get5 more of each grand emporium or r2d2 or both?

GE as I think R2-D2 will hang around until episode 7 is done.

PS is no where near EOL yet, surely. End of 2015 at the earliest if they keep the 5 year run.

You'll have to rope in the friends and family method of set buying :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not saying your data was incorrect, but that statement was based on the assumption that the buyers who bought those sets used the affiliate links.  Perhaps there were more people who did not use the affiliate links when declaring that they did.

Which brings us back to:

Think about the fact that not all people order the larger set online. There are bound to be some members that go to the Lego store to get some of the larger sets.

I would think that absence from a new catalog is less of an indicator that something will retire than presence in a catalog is an indicator that something will not. Not to say that that's always the case, but it makes sense logically. It makes no sense to use up prime advertising space promoting a set that won't be around much longer. It would lead to disappointed consumers who go to buy it and find out it's retired.

Guest TabbyBoy

The FB was not in the catalogs for at least a year before it finally retired. I think we have another 6 months or so left with this one.

Also the FB price seems to have plateaued somewhat in May.

The catalogue only shows a small fraction of what's for sale which is why I pay little attention to it.  I also noticed that the FB's price has not risen recently and has in fact fallen in some cases.  Could quick post-EOL flipping rather than long term hoarding become the norm?  It certainly appears to be the case with the 41999 and several CITY & Monster Flighters sets.

As others say, the FB retirement is the most important to date and will determine our future!

If timing becomes crucial then this will certainly separate the men from the boys.  Anyhow, I'm done selling for a while until nearer Xmas when I finally clear out the last of my crap CITY sets at prices that will shock the competition! ;-)

Well, look at 41999 which has sat at the same price for almost 6 months.  And Red Cargo Train, and lots of other stuff.  We're all waiting to see a set retired last year that has taken off for the moon like the Imperial Shuttle and POTC ships from 2012.

And I wouldn't make anything of GE not being in the catalog...Lego has too many new product lines!  Mixels, Agents, Movie, Friends, Disney...there just isn't room.