71005 - Minifigures - The Simpsons: Series 1

TheDarkness

The Simpsons  

106 members have voted

1. 1. From a scale of one to ten, how well do you believe Lego captured the look of The Simpsons?

• 1 - Ugly
    • 2 - Horrible
    • 3 - Poorly
    • 4 - Not bad
    • 5 - Decent
    • 6 - Spot on
    • 7 - Well done
    • 8 - Superb
    • 9 - Excellent
    • 10 - Perfect

I have seen what these are selling for (individual and as a set) and I'm not impressed. At 4-5$ per pack or 99-119$ per set, it seems silly to even bother, unless you can get them cheap. I have 2 complete sets that I am going to hold onto. The rest I may be returning. I don see where there is money to be made. That said I think they are awesome. The likeness to the characters they nailed.

• Like 1

For those interested. Target in Orem, Utah had a display but it was empty. My two closest Walmarts don't seem to be carrying minifigs. Toys R Us here sucks. No minifigs yet and their polybag selection is always terrible. Right now it's the halloween witch head, and the rocking horse.

I did however find 23 bags at Walgreens and bought them all. 

1 - Homer

4 - Bart

4 - Marge

1 - Grandpa

1 - Krusty

1 - Milhouse

3 - Ralph

2 - Apu

2 - Nelson

2 - Itchy

2 - Scratchy

Now on the hunt for Chief Wiggum, Mr.Burns, Lisa, Maggie, and Flanders.

Bump codes anyone?

This is from the UK, I grabbed 5 bags yesterday and had a good idea of who I got, checked bump codes against these and 100% correct.

http://unusual-encounters.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/hunting-for-lego-simpsons.html

I decided to create a crib sheet that I could save onto my phone so was accessible easily, PDF attached (images credited to @PaulTinyJackson from the Random Encounters blog). Hope this helps if you are searching for the odd one or two bags.

SBC.pdf

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone has posted a "feel" guide yet so I thought I would in case it would help anyone. I have felt up (poor choice of words) two cases in my local Walmart trying to find complete sets. I have listed the difficulty level and the item in the bag to find for each.

Homer - Easy - Donut - Small and round. Nothing like it in any other bag

Bart - Easy - Wheels - The wheels are separate from the skateboard

Marge - Easy - Hair - Long and round. Nothing like it in any other bag

Grandpa - HARD - One of the 3 that have square accessories. Grandpa is taller than Milhouse and Ralp. Feel for his longer legs that move.

Krusty - Easy - Pie- Completely round.

Milhouse - HARD - Square accessory. For Milhouse and Ralph I had to use the flashlight to see his face in the bag. His head is bigger than Ralph's.

Ralph - HARD - See above. Had to use flashlight at home for confirmation.

Apu - Medium - Find his coffee cup. Similar to Flanders cup but you can tell the difference. No handle.

Nelson - Easy - Baseball bat. Similar to Wiggum's club but longer.

Itchy - Easy - Club Big and oddly shaped with narrow handle. Nothing like it in any other bag.

Scratchy - Easy - Ax - Long with the ax head at the end.

Chief Wiggum - Easy - Find the club or find the bullhorn.

Mr.Burns - Easy - His rod of radioactive material is easy to find. Small and cylindrical. 

Lisa  - Easy - Sax - Feels funny in the bag. Find the end piece.

Maggie - Medium - Bear - This can be confused with other small items. You can feel the arms of the bear. Also note that maggie has no legs so you can feel for that.

Flanders - Easy - Tool box - Very distinctive rectangular shape.

Overall it's not that bad. Grandpa, Ralph, and Milhouse will cause you problems but other than those three it's fairly easy.

• Like 4

Don't know if anyone has posted a "feel" guide yet so I thought I would in case it would help anyone. I have felt up (poor choice of words) two cases in my local Walmart trying to find complete sets. I have listed the difficulty level and the item in the bag to find for each.

Grandpa - HARD - One of the 3 that have square accessories. Grandpa is taller than Milhouse and Ralp. Feel for his longer legs that move.

Milhouse - HARD - Square accessory. For Milhouse and Ralph I had to use the flashlight to see his face in the bag. His head is bigger than Ralph's.

Apu - Medium - Find his coffee cup. Similar to Flanders cup but you can tell the difference. No handle.

Itchy - Easy - Club Big and oddly shaped with narrow handle. Nothing like it in any other bag.

Mr.Burns - Easy - His rod of radioactive material is easy to find. Small and cylindrical. 

Maggie - Medium - Bear - This can be confused with other small items. You can feel the arms of the bear. Also note that maggie has no legs so you can feel for that.

Overall it's not that bad. Grandpa, Ralph, and Milhouse will cause you problems but other than those three it's fairly easy.

i have come around to the smooshing/feeling method since I have encounted up to 3 separate BUMP codes for each character.  i now do some feeling/smooshing followed by some bumping.

grandpa comes across to me as an upside down icecream cone head with a couple of prongs on the top.  also he has a square insert and head is too big for milhouse and ralph and doesn't have flander's tool box.

scatchy's head is gigantic.  it feels like there a large jumping jack in the bag.  sometimes ax is wedged into insert and difficult to feel.

i have sorted 148 of these and agree splitting milhouse and ralph is the toughest.  in the end the bump codes here were useful to split them up. i will try and get a decent photo of these with my smartphone.

Will this really be a limited production run as I heard from numerous sources? 

I pre-ordered 3 cases of them and got a telephone call before from the shop that they will only grant me one! I am really pIssed off. 

i think demand is underestimated.  you have a convergence of first commercially licensed LEGO CMF combined with the LEGO house which gets some AFOLs into them now because the CMF minifigs are better than the ones that came with the house.  Lastly, you get regular Simpsons fans which not as large as it might once have been still is not a factor to be ignored in the demand equation.

its really hard to say about the supply.

unopened cases in recent minifigure series seem to be solid investments.

new lego minifigure collectors are converted/afflicted/born every single day.

I hope we get a second Simpsons minifig series...

• Like 1

Ralph is easily recognized by weight. at about .346oz sealed he is significantly lighter than any other character. A gem scale costs about $25 and is well worth the investment. Between bump codes, weights, smooshing, and the flashlight technique, there shouldn't be any issues identifying a set.

Got some at my local TRU this weekend. Funny thing is that someone had identified all the figures and wrote in sharpie on the back of the sealed package what they were.

sounds like someone bought the box... Figured them out, wrote on them and returned what they didn't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Local tru will make them available upon opening on 5.1. Local Walmart will put them out at midnight on 5.1. Yet another Walmart had some. There is no consistency w any of this. I got 47 packs last week from a WM and I had a decent variety. It no Millhouse..got to find that one.

I'd say you're pretty spot on.  I went through a box earlier this week, and by the time I was done, I pretty much came to the same conclusions.

With Homer, you can also tell it's him because of the remote.  He's the only minifig with a 1x2 plate (in case you can't find the donut).

Grandpa actually was easy, to me, because of the legs.  He was just like Millhouse and Ralph, but with legs.

I agree, Millhouse and Ralph were the hardest for me.  I set those aside, and had to use the flashlight method to confirm my feelings. 

Guest ph4tb0i

I feel like this is one of those sets where every minifig will be worth something a year from now when Simpsons Series 2+ comes out....