Magic: The Gathering Movie officially announced...

Achilles

I know I'm an old fuddy-duddy or whatever, but I think the focus on the "Planeswalkers" as characters was a major downturn in the game mechanics and the lore itself. But I expect this to be a "Street Fighter the Movie" form of awful. 

Who knows, I'd love them to prove me wrong.

In all honesty I figured something like this would be coming down the line, though I did not expect it so soon. The fan base for Magic is very large indeed, I know quite a few people who play. Never could get myself into it personally, but it will no doubt do very well at the box office. Not sure if Lego would want to strike a deal on this, but if it is indeed on the scale of Harry Potter, as the article stated, though I don`t believe anything besides LOTR and Star Wars could compete, maybe they will. Interesting news, thanks for posting!

I honestly wonder why it took this long for one to come out. A rumor (more like hope) for a film based on Magic: The Gathering has been around for a long time. I certainly am not heavy duty or light for the matter on all the tidbits of the vast storylines but I know well enough there is a wealth of mythos and characters to tell a tale about. I can't say I liked this bit from the article though.

No word yet on how the adaptation of a dated card game that is largely played by aging men in the back rooms of strip mall comic book stores will play out

Well, comic books or just regular ones are 'dated' but still Hollywood keeps churning out films based on those, and I didn't realize my friends in high school were just aging farts to play with cards. Also, don't women play just as well?

I honestly wonder why it took this long for one to come out. A rumor (more like hope) for a film based on Magic: The Gathering has been around for a long time. I certainly am not heavy duty or light for the matter on all the tidbits of the vast storylines but I know well enough there is a wealth of mythos and characters to tell a tale about. I can't say I liked this bit from the article though.

Well, comic books or just regular ones are 'dated' but still Hollywood keeps churning out films based on those, and I didn't realize my friends in high school were just aging farts to play with cards. Also, don't women play just as well?

To be fair, some stereotypes exist for a reason. Are there exceptions? Of course. This past summer I went to a tournament to pick up a old friend for lunch, and there were apx 200 entrants. 1 of them was female. There were a lot of younger kids though and a few fogies like myself, but the bulk of the players seemed to be in the 18-25 year bracket, which is pretty much what it was 15 years ago as well. So, yea... Dorky males are pretty much the target audience for Magic. :)