The forums have come a long way in a year.

Blackjack

Were you on the forums a year ago  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Were you a member a year ago?

• Yes
    • No

I signed up for BP a year ago, and was thinking about what it was like back then.  New topics could sit in the new topics bar for a few days instead of a few hours.  I got onto the top 20 posters list with 190 posts.  TheOrcKing only had about 500 posts and stephen_rockefeller had 700! 

Feel free to talk about the growth of BP over the last year here!

I became a member January 28th of last year.  Feels like I have been on here longer, largely because I was viewing the website before I became a member, but I ultimately took the plunge.  Amazing how many people have been constant posters for around a month or two, and then have completely disappeared.

I became a member January 28th of last year.  Feels like I have been on here longer, largely because I was viewing the website before I became a member, but I ultimately took the plunge.  Amazing how many people have been constant posters for around a month or two, and then have completely disappeared.

I think this might mirror investing as a whole?  Older uses often mused about how many 'new' investors would stick around for the long haul after so many users joined post-USA Today article.  Perhaps they realized that months is usually not long enough to make a significant profit?

Speaking for myself, though, I dropped off the face of the forums when my first child was born and I started a second job part-time.  Thankfully things have calmed down enough for me to revel in my addiction to Lego again.

spener90-  I'm sure lots of folks join up hoping to make a big pile of easy money, but then drop back out when they realize the work, time, research, money, risk, etc that is required to yield an unknown amount of profit a few years down the line.  Or they start with flipping/parting out and take off when they're only making $2 an hour.  :money:

Honestly, I could've been in that second category.  I bought a few sets on clearance this fall (Goblin King at $70, great deal...) and decided to part them out for lots of quick money.  Of course, it didn't quite work out that way.  However, the reason I stuck with it (and I have a feeling a lot of the members here will echo this sentiment) is that I've always loved Lego.  When I'm opening up a set to separate minifigs and set pieces, I'm not working, I'm playing with Legos.  I'm not constructing giant battle scenes, I'm lining everyone up rank and file to jump into envelopes.

Two quick stats that I thought was pretty good.  We tripled the number of posts that were submitted in 2013 in December, there was a steady increase in the number of posts throughout the year, even the off summer months.  The most viewed forum is the Daily Deals and that is only a few months old. I am amazed to see its popularity in such a short time.   The Daily Deals forum is also Members Only, so who knows how many more views it would get if it was open to the public.  

But please don't open it to the public! :-)

I will echo the kudos in the thread. Teasing aside, you guys are doing some awesome and fun things with the site and building a great community. I certainly appreciate it. I also joined about one year ago, due to my mom showing me the USA Today article. I probably already had about 30 sets stashed at that time, mostly Star Wars. A year later I have about 300. I am not sure if my wife would agree that is good or not, but I sure love it.  

Two quick stats that I thought was pretty good.  We tripled the number of posts that were submitted in 2013 in December, there was a steady increase in the number of posts throughout the year, even the off summer months.  The most viewed forum is the Daily Deals and that is only a few months old. I am amazed to see its popularity in such a short time.   The Daily Deals forum is also Members Only, so who knows how many more views it would get if it was open to the public.  

That is really great... thanks for those interesting stats....

Congratulations to The Mack Bros Id say...

I am here nearly a year now i think... or is it more not 100% sure.

I have been a member here just a bit longer than being a moderator, both of which is going on more than a year now, and I am not planning to leave anytime soon or ever. The site can be a chore at times but it is fun. Plus I would not have had the opportunity to earn the Haunted House sitting on display in my room if it weren't for BrickPicker so I have Ed & Jeff to thank for that as well. I guess I could blame you guys for my Lego spending habits but let's face it. None of us need an excuse to buy more Lego. Ha. Also I wouldn't have found many of the deals from last year if it weren't for the whole 'Deal Hunting' bit so thanks again.

• Like 1

Dude. that is my birthday!

I still have 3 months and 1 day till I have been a member on Brickpicker for 1 year. I started lurking around the site in February 2013 and reading some of the blogs and posts. I became a member in April 2013 and was still a lurker. I started to post in the summer and I am still posting to this day. Over the last 9 months, I have seen a lot of great changes to the site. Great job Ed and Jeff for all that you do for the Brickpicker community.

Hey hey! Where have I been? Xbox One, that's where. Anyway I'm still here after a year of posting nonsense and occasionally fiddling with reselling. I actually hit 100 sales last week, right around my one year anniversary here I think. I probably wouldn't have achieved that without the advice and support I found on this site. Looking forward to another great BP year!

• Like 1

Hey hey! Where have I been? Xbox One, that's where. Anyway I'm still here after a year of posting nonsense and occasionally fiddling with reselling. I actually hit 100 sales last week, right around my one year anniversary here I think. I probably wouldn't have achieved that without the advice and support I found on this site. Looking forward to another great BP year!

Welcome back D!

You gotta change that newbie avatar man! :D

• Like 2

Hey, hey, welcome back you kooky bastard! :biggrin:

You gotta change that newbie avatar man! :D

I agree. Let's see....Diablo....Lego....oh I know!

bp_1389661384__diablo.png

• Like 1

Whats funny is when I joined the site, I just barely looked, joined, then left for like 4 months. DIdn't know what I was missing.

At least you joined... I just lurked and used what I could for the first few months... kept thinking how great it would be if I had the membership information, but didn't want to join.  I'm happy I did, then I look at my stash, which has grown from a tiny section of a closet, to the bottom part of a closet, to the whole closet, to one and a half closets, to two closets, to two closets and an entire storage rack in the basement, to two closets, an entire storage racks, and two large stashes in my room (and some 41999's hiding in another closet)... Sorry, no pictures everyone... maybe later.