What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 8 years later...

Just put a 10227 B-Wing Starfighter up on eBay today. I struggled a lot with whether to make shipping free or not, since it looks like for these large sets shipping runs to 20-30 dollars (and the B-Wing is not the largest set out there)! This is my first major set I'm trying to sell, so after looking at a lot of completed listings, I decided I'd probably get enough extra bidding action if I made shipping free to make it worth it. But, almost no one puts this set up for auction with for auction with free shipping (I only found one in the recent listings), so the higher price it got could have been an anomaly.

If anyone with a lot of experience out there could let me know these things, I'd appreciate it:

1. Do you find you get better prices offering free shipping or making buyers pay for it?
  2. Do you find you get better prices by doing auctions on eBay or "Buy it Now"?

I have some more big sets to sell, so I'm hoping to get this figured out and get the best possible prices on the ones I sell later.

Actually, I just sold a B-wing and shipped it out yesterday. with shipping, tracking and insurance ($200), it's 36 bucks, it's a huge set.

I think the bottom line for buyers are the total price that they are paying. If you are listing it as free shipping, your bidding price will most likely higher, and vice versa. At the end of the end, the person are paying the total cost.

when I first started, i used mostly auction instead of buy it now. These days, it really depends on what I am trying to sell. 

for the B-wing, I listed it as buy it now and let it sit. Usually buy it now ends up with a higher price, people are willing to pay a bit higher to get the set now, instead of starting a bidding war with others and have to wait for the auction to end.

for the quick flip sets/minifigures/polybag that's high demanding, I find that it's more 'fun' to do it auction. Because I like to see people 'fight' for my set, and I know that it's almost guarantee that it will meet a certain expected price.

Hope that helps.

My preference is for buyer pay actual shipping.  A closer buyer will bid or pay more since shipping is lower and they will save and you will pay less fees to ebay shipping charges so you will save.  The package will take less time to arrive and if they are within a few shipping zones of you your ebay shipping discount will be larger since priority shipping will be comprable to Standard post.  Its a win/win/win in my book.  IF the item is very rare or desirable the buyer won't care about the extra charges to ship to them on the other coast.

within the last week.

1 sealed The Zombies for $215 with free postage.  Great set still.  Can't wait for Halloween to unload more.

1 Black Pearl and 1 QAR (sealed sets w/o the boxes).

1 sealed Toy Story Western Train.

5 sealed Harry Potter Hagrid Hut sets.

1 sealed 10198 Tantive IV.

within the last week.

1 sealed The Zombies for $215 with free postage.  Great set still.  Can't wait for Halloween to unload more.

1 Black Pearl and 1 QAR (sealed sets w/o the boxes).

1 sealed Toy Story Western Train.

5 sealed Harry Potter Hagrid Hut sets.

1 sealed 10198 Tantive IV.

$215 for The Zombies?  Wow!  Great for you.

Annnnd....that's why I'm Bricklinking it.  Yikes.

$215 for The Zombies?  Wow!  Great for you.

Annnnd....that's why I'm Bricklinking it.  Yikes.

i think bricklinking it should be far cheaper.   about 12 months ago, i purchase the bride and groom w/ the manual for maybe $20-$25 total (my son's set).  Everything else is pretty cheap.  Good luck.

This weekend I sold a few agents sets and a 2008 fire station from my Cafe Corner CL lot.  I have the cost of my CC down to $153 (and soon to be a profit)  :)

Sold a used 4842 Hogwarts for $250 (bought last month for $125 - so that is a nice $80 profit)

**Prices always in US funds**

Was that a sealed/new set, or used? I've got a 4842 I'm putting together from a CL bulk set I bought. Would love to get north of $200 for it.

It was a used one. It sat on eBay for just under two weeks and you should be able to sell yours for over 200+ shipping with little difficulty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Brickpicker mobile app

It was a used one. It sat on eBay for just under two weeks and you should be able to sell yours for over 200+ shipping with little difficulty.

If it's complete, you should get $250 for it.  That's what I grossed for mine (shipping included).

If it's complete, you should get $250 for it.  That's what I grossed for mine (shipping included).

Great, thanks guys.  I haven't done my research on it yet, since I'm still working on.  I appreciate the quick feedback.

I just finally pulled all the pieces for it from the bulk lot.  I'm missing 8 pieces and one minifig from it.  I'm starting the search in my Bricklink/bulk inventory for the last 8 pieces now.  I have instructions, no box.  I need to put it together and take my photos, too.  So, a few weeks out from selling.  But good to hear.