What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 7 years later...

Hope.

People see the lower price on an auction and they hope they can get it at that better price. Then they get caught up in bidding at the last second, because they've just got to have it.

Whenever I'm bidding on something, refuse to play the last minute game. I know what I want to pay and bid accordingly. I'm either going to get it for that or I won't.

This is why I start a lot of my auctions at .99. It's a perceived deal that people get hung up on and many times ends up higher than BIN's. The human psyche....go figure.

Edited by odysea11
  • Like 1

This is why I start a lot of my auctions at .99. It's a perceived deal that people get hung up on and many times ends up higher than BIN's. The human psyche....go figure.

Hmm. Every single .99 auction I have ever done the buyer got a real nice discount and I lost money. Never again.

• Like 2

Hmm. Every single .99 auction I have ever done the buyer got a real nice discount and I lost money. Never again.

Me too, but then I realized it was because I was listing crap that nobody searched for or wanted to buy. I'll probably dip my toes in the .99 cent auction water again once I reach top rated seller status.

Sorry but I straight up disagree with you here. The MAJORITY of UK auctions sell for less than the BIN equivalents. Maybe it's different in America but not this side of the pond. Put your listing up as an auction and most likely you're going to get fingers burnt!

Sorry but I straight up disagree with you here. The MAJORITY of UK auctions sell for less than the BIN equivalents. Maybe it's different in America but not this side of the pond. Put your listing up as an auction and most likely you're going to get fingers burnt!

Allow me to clarify....I rarely run BNIB on auctions. But I often run used sets through auction. I have been burned a few times over the years, but more often than not I am pleased with my final sale price.

Call me crazy, but I put the ball in the sellers court and let them pay what they feel it's value is.

Each has their own strategies, right or wrong, I still love this game!

I mostly use auction for used sets. 

The good thing about selling with auction starting at 1 euro is that you can already start packing the used set after you put up the auction. Cause there is a 99% chance someone bids and you sell. With BIN it can take months. 

Edited by Ciglione

I'm doing the same, but my buy in was $60. Sold Landspeeder, Luke, & Obi-Wan for $27 shipped.

Sent from my XT1028 using Brickpicker mobile app

At $60 buy in and selling a lot at $27 minus shipping - fees and the rest of parts maybe worth $30 top, where would be the profit?

Never mind, I just looked at the set and it looks like you could sell more than just building and lanspeeder. It seems like very little profit though at the end, on a $60 buy in?

Edited by ogmios

I mostly use auction for used sets.

The good thing about selling with auction starting at 1 euro is that you can already start packing the used set after you put up the auction. Cause there is a 99% chance someone bids and you sell. With BIN it can take months.

I sell a lot of used sets. I used to do auctions but one time I found a nice QAR used on Craigslist with minifigures, nice instructions, box, poster. The whole nine yards for $120 bucks. I even drove 200 miles round trip to get it.

Listed it on Ebay at auction starting at 99 bucks. Had 20 watchers...20!! I figured it would go for at least 220-240. But at the end of the auction only four total bids were made and it ended at about 165. Barely enough to cover gas and shipping.

Might have been an oddity but I learned my lesson and have done BIN ever since. If I really want to free up resources, the. I lower it a few bucks and it will sell. But regardless, I am going to meet my profit margin even if it takes a few months.

I sell a lot of used sets. I used to do auctions but one time I found a nice QAR used on Craigslist with minifigures, nice instructions, box, poster. The whole nine yards for $120 bucks. I even drove 200 miles round trip to get it.

Listed it on Ebay at auction starting at 99 bucks. Had 20 watchers...20!! I figured it would go for at least 220-240. But at the end of the auction only four total bids were made and it ended at about 165. Barely enough to cover gas and shipping.

Might have been an oddity but I learned my lesson and have done BIN ever since. If I really want to free up resources, the. I lower it a few bucks and it will sell. But regardless, I am going to meet my profit margin even if it takes a few months.

All the watchers were us, I bet

• Like 4

Allow me to clarify....I rarely run BNIB on auctions. But I often run used sets through auction. I have been burned a few times over the years, but more often than not I am pleased with my final sale price.

Call me crazy, but I put the ball in the sellers buyers court and let them pay what they feel it's value is.

Each has their own strategies, right or wrong, I still love this game!

Ooops......edit

At $60 buy in and selling a lot at $27 minus shipping - fees and the rest of parts maybe worth $30 top, where would be the profit?

Never mind, I just looked at the set and it looks like you could sell more than just building and lanspeeder. It seems like very little profit though at the end, on a $60 buy in?

I'm selling everything but the Cantina itself. Trying to sell the figs, landspeeder, and Dewback to get the Cantina for free for myself. I will do it, but it might take a couple months. I think this set will be worth parting out at a tidy profit after retirement.

Unrelated, but on topic, I just sold a Prince Charming minidoll from 41055 for $17 shipped (!)

Edited by randrace

Over the past 3 weeks, I sold all my Hero Factory Brain Attack clearance I picked up after Christmas.  Today, 44004, 44005, 44006, 44007, 4408, 44009, & 44011 for $105. All bought between $3-$7 each.

Well, I still have some Jet Rocka's I'm letting appreciate a little more before bundling them with newer stuff.