Christmas Clearance.. What to Expect?

I have to say I am not sure if there will be much to clearance out after Christmas. Last year at this time I was hitting all kinds of stores and finding great deals everywhere. Retiring sets, recently retired sets, clearance items, etc. Then after Christmas I bought over 200 sets from various stores that had clearance sales. This year I have been to those same stores and found nothing. What worries me even more is that there isn't even anything left that would be clearanced after Christmas. I will still go out after Christmas to check but my feeling is that there wont be anything worth buying.

• Like 2

You can usually get discounts at either store after Xmas,  but I have found they give much better discounts online. You can get free shipping if you buy enough or they have a special.  Even if you pay shipping, it's about the same as buying gas to drive to the store. So if you are buying now or after Xmas, check online first, Walmart, Target, Toysrus, and Amazon are the ones I use the most. Good luck, and have a great Holiday.

You can usually get discounts at either store after Xmas,  but I have found they give much better discounts online. You can get free shipping if you buy enough or they have a special.  Even if you pay shipping, it's about the same as buying gas to drive to the store. So if you are buying now or after Xmas, check online first, Walmart, Target, Toysrus, and Amazon are the ones I use the most. Good luck, and have a great Holiday.

You either live in the wrong place or you don't look hard enough.  Online sales pale in comparison to B&M clearances around here.  I think I'll find less this year, but I've been able to get some great deals on retiring sets prior to Christmas.

I have received word from Walmart employees at a couple different locations that they have intentionally taken a lot of their clearance stuff (especially toys) off the shelves and put it in the backroom.  They are supposedly bringing it back out right after Christmas to help feed the clearance frenzy.  This kind of makes sense.  They want to sell all their full price stuff right now and make better sales numbers.  Because I heard this at two different places, I feel it is more likely to be true.

I do know this... if you go out on December 26th, leave early.  Target had clearance stuff and it all went really fast.  I was lucky enough to get five Flying Dutchmans for $10 each, but that was it. 

I would be shocked if Unexpected Gathering retired soon.  I am surprised so many people are even talking about it.  Wishful thinking perhaps?  I don't doubt that it will be gone from most store shelves, but I would bet the farm it remains un-retired for at least six more months.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong, of course!  :)

I have received word from Walmart employees at a couple different locations that they have intentionally taken a lot of their clearance stuff (especially toys) off the shelves and put it in the backroom.  They are supposedly bringing it back out right after Christmas to help feed the clearance frenzy.  This kind of makes sense.  They want to sell all their full price stuff right now and make better sales numbers.  Because I heard this at two different places, I feel it is more likely to be true.

Make that 4 different places as I've been told the same at two of my Walmarts here. One had the Gungan sub on clearance for 40 bucks. I was waiting for a further price slash to go in and buy the lot of 13 units when suddenly they dissappeared!!! When I spoke to the manager I was told that they were all put into the back because they needed the space for seasonal stuff and that once the holidays were over they'd either put them back out on the floor or have one of those sidewalk sales. I want those Gungan subs if they get down to 35-30 but what I REALLY want is the 4 Helm's Deep that went into the back room at the other Walmart...

I would be shocked if Unexpected Gathering retired soon. 

I hope it does not!!! This is the one set that I have been passing up for better deals on other sets so I only have one right now that I got at Kmart for about 38 bucks using points and coupons. I think I'm still gonna hold off because 1 year for a LOTR/Hobbit set just doesnt seem right...

I asked my Walmart toy manager today and they said the same thing. But they will not state a date or even guess at it. Wondering what is in the back!!

I do know this... if you go out on December 26th, leave early.  Target had clearance stuff and it all went really fast.  I was lucky enough to get five Flying Dutchmans for $10 each, but that was it. 

I asked my Walmart toy manager today and they said the same thing. But they will not state a date or even guess at it. Wondering what is in the back!!

It is frustrating how these guys always feign ignorance.  I have also been repeatedly frustrated by managers' alleged lack of knowledge.  Can these guys really not know this stuff?  Someone has to know!

It is frustrating how these guys always feign ignorance.  I have also been repeatedly frustrated by managers' alleged lack of knowledge.  Can these guys really not know this stuff?  Someone has to know!

I am sure this won't apply to everyone, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but in my experience, Walmart employees are almost always useless.

• Like 1

I am sure this won't apply to everyone, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but in my experience, Walmart employees are almost always useless.

Thank you Achilles, lol.  That has been my experience too, I just didn't want to voice it because I am generally not in the business of offending people.  But it's so true...Walmart employees hardly ever have good answers or explanations for even the simplest of questions.