10237 - Tower of Orthanc

My first ToO arrived today (also my second lego investment set)

Looks fantastic, would love to build it but I must resist.

Mine had seal code 48S4, don't know what this means? I assume higher the number the more recently it was manufactured?

I was torn between the R5 and this but I chose this because I think it is going to be horded far less and be a much rarer awesome set to find in the future. R5 looks naff to me and will likely have other redwing variants by the time it's retired and the new film is out.

• Like 1

I too had the problem where every time I set out to buy a Red 5, I bought a ToO instead.  2400 pieces versus 1500 for the same price, and the tower is far less likely to be released as another set, while we all know the future holds many more Lego X-wings.  Plus you can actually play with the tower.  Even at several hundred dollars each, lots of these exclusives are being sold to parents (judging by online reviews and my own customers' emails).  With the tower, you can display it from three sides, or turn it around and play with the interior.  It's a win-win.

• Like 2

I too had the problem where every time I set out to buy a Red 5, I bought a ToO instead. 2400 pieces versus 1500 for the same price, and the tower is far less likely to be released as another set, while we all know the future holds many more Lego X-wings. Plus you can actually play with the tower. Even at several hundred dollars each, lots of these exclusives are being sold to parents (judging by online reviews and my own customers' emails). With the tower, you can display it from three sides, or turn it around and play with the interior. It's a win-win.

Something about Star Wars and spaceships seems to trump all rationale when it comes to Lego investing. I have an equal share of these two so I'm happy to see either win. Assuming TOO poofs out completely soon, I expect Red Five to win the 1-2 yr appreciation race and TOO wins long-term.

• Like 2

Something about Star Wars and spaceships seems to trump all rationale when it comes to Lego investing. I have an equal share of these two so I'm happy to see either win. Assuming TOO poofs out completely soon, I expect Red Five to win the 1-2 yr appreciation race and TOO wins long-term.

This.

I agree with everything you wrote.

For that reason I have more Red 5 than ToO to invest mid term gain and flip into more.

I have more Red 5's than ToO's but I plan to get more ToO's soon and a few EEE's to boat it all around in. LOL.

• Like 1

Can't agree more with this. Look at the price people will pay for a bumpy grey triangle (aka: Super Star Destroyer) if you need proof.

• Like 3

Yep, and let's not forget that tower of orthanc was not in Star Wars movies. 'nuff said!

Orthanc will wipe the floor of many sets before it. It may take time, but there will never be another like it. Scarcity of design amd hoarding will pay big dividends. How many xwings and tie fighters can there be?

I agree... once we all know for sure that the 'LOTR/Hobbit license' has lapsed the price on the Tower will begin to climb. Lego will keep the Star Wars license around for many many years with the advent of the new movies and may be due to the sentimental value since that specific license saved the company. Lego could always pop out a 'classic' line and shoot out more x-wings.

I too had the problem where every time I set out to buy a Red 5, I bought a ToO instead.  2400 pieces versus 1500 for the same price, and the tower is far less likely to be released as another set, while we all know the future holds many more Lego X-wings.  Plus you can actually play with the tower.  Even at several hundred dollars each, lots of these exclusives are being sold to parents (judging by online reviews and my own customers' emails).  With the tower, you can display it from three sides, or turn it around and play with the interior.  It's a win-win.

Hmmmmm, sounds like you're saying I should buy another one and not the Red Five........ I keep having a problem getting the Red Five at my local Lego store because the boxes are always creased. The ToO is plentiful and I feel like it's less hoarded and it won't get remade again. Those were good points you made.

Interestingly enough on eBay in the last 11 days both ToO and Red 5 have sold 10 copies each.

I think the buy through rate for Red 5 will be substantially higher especially when Episode VII hits.

With 2020 bringing out out the movie Red 5, they may make another UCS then but I plan to sell most of mine by then.

I agree there will be only one highlander (um eh ToO).  That's why I am increasing my purchases in it too.

I want to walk and chew gum at the same time with these two sets.

Yeah, I don't mean to say Red 5 is bad.  I wish I had loaded up during the 'oops' sale at Target.com last year when it was BOGO 50% (I think) for a day.  It feels overpriced at $199 for 1500 pieces, and we are absolutely getting another X-wing this year.  The only question is how big it will be.  The more pieces, the greater a threat to 10240.  Trek has done well so far with his call on 7965.  I just get nervous holding a set I know will be released again shortly.  There may be a very narrow window (now, give or take a few months) in which to sell those for good money.

The Star Wars UCS set I'm most excited about (other than the just-released Slave 1) is the Sandcrawler.  I financed a year's maximum IRA contribution selling 10144's back in the day, and the new one looks so much better.  Also, I don't think China is counterfeiting Jawas (yet).

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't mean to say Red 5 is bad.  I wish I had loaded up during the 'oops' sale at Target.com last year when it was BOGO 50% (I think) for a day.  It feels overpriced at $199 for 1500 pieces, and we are absolutely getting another X-wing this year.  The only question is how big it will be.  The more pieces, the greater a threat to 10240.  Trek has done well so far with his call on 7965.  I just get nervous holding a set I know will be released again shortly.  There may be a very narrow window (now, give or take a few months) in which to sell those for good money.

The Star Wars UCS set I'm most excited about (other than the just-released Slave 1) is the Sandcrawler.  I financed a year's maximum IRA contribution selling 10144's back in the day, and the new one looks so much better.  Also, I don't think China is counterfeiting Jawas (yet).

Thanks GD.  Also let me make sure I am not saying ToO is bad, I think its great, I am a LOTR Hobbit nut.  I am coming to the impression to get out of most everything LOTR Hobbit I have, profit or break even, EXCEPT to increase buying in ToO. On a long term arc for holding and selling I think ToO may very well do better.  Especially if there is another UCS X Wing with the Red 5 movie in 2020.  But I have some sets I hold long term, some I flip mid term and some stuff that is QFLL.  Trying to figure out what set to put into what slot for me personally is fun.  Thanks on 7965.  For whats its worth I decided to go ahead and flip most of the 7965 (including several I was able to acquire a few weeks ago) and am holding onto 2 long term.  I have one of those Toys R Us exclusive AT AT's I forget the model number, but it has suffered poorly with the new AT AT.  I don't want to be stuck with a pile of the 7965's.  On your Sandcrawler and Slave 1, I love those sets two.  Stood in line for both of those to get one on opening day.  I hope to be able to start adding those to inventory along with the Tumbler after we get past the Red 5, EEE and ToO frenzy fest.  My guess is later this year sometime that will happen.  Who knows. LOL

• Like 1

Mildly off topic, but since folks seem to be reading this thread pretty regularly...  Does anyone know the logic behind some exclusives being numbered as such (102-- and so on), but others getting 'regular' set numbers instead?  For example, ToO is 10237 and Red 5 is 10240.  Those are 'UCS' numbers, so to speak.  But the new Sandcrawler is numbered like a 'regular' SW set, even though LEGO Shop at Home puts it in the exclusive category.  The same with Sea Cow I believe.   It's curious, and might be useful information.  For example, if the new Sandcrawler behaves like a UCS set, it will likely last all through this year and into next.  But if the production run is more like that of a regular SW set, it will probably end before Christmas of this year.