10237 - Tower of Orthanc

It is pretty impressive, but I doubt that I would buy if I weren't a LOTR fan quite honestly. To me, it doesn't have the appeal something like the HH would have.

Thanks for the feedback..

Yes, it doesn't really have any appeal to me, but some sets ( Mostly the friends line) I bought for my daughter I didn't have any interest in until we started building them and got to play with them.. That's why I was asking about this set..  

Thanks for the feedback..

Yes, it doesn't really have any appeal to me, but some sets ( Mostly the friends line) I bought for my daughter I didn't have any interest in until we started building them and got to play with them.. That's why I was asking about this set..  

The set does have some very interesting play features and nice details on the rooms. I enjoyed the bulild, so maybe you'll like it too then

• Like 1

It's a nice piece of Lego architecture. If you're a fan of fantastical, dark design then buy Orthanc. Lego won't produce anything like it for years to come. I don't know if it will do that well investment wise because it is rather evil looking built. I could see it doing well with Satanists. ????

• Like 1

It's a nice piece of Lego architecture. If you're a fan of fantastical, dark design then buy Orthanc. Lego won't produce anything like it for years to come. I don't know if it will do that well investment wise because it is rather evil looking built. I could see it doing well with Satanists. ????

...Or maybe LoTR fans, perhaps??

Edited by comicblast
  • Like 4

Satanists, lol. Tolkien- who wrote LOTR- was a die-hard Christian, and biblical themes (agree with them are not) are scattered throughout his stories. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were part of the same writing circle (The Inklings), and both based what they were doing on Christian themes (C.S. Lewis much more blatantly).

Having built a ToO, and placed a Lego Smaug on top, I can tell you the effect is outstanding. This set is big, highly-detailed, and draws upon a literally work that is older than the majority of members of this forum (pre-WW II).

Your two hundred dollars may be better spent adding 39 dollars and buying a Tower Bridge.

Mine has been spent purchasing both. You will never see a Tower of Orthanc produced from TLG again, ever. What you will see, however, is future fans of Lord of the Rings- both the books and the movies- coupled with new-found Lego fans- who stumble upon this extraordinary piece and deem a several thousand investment worthy of what Tolkien's incredible work will mean to them.

Ignorance of what this set represents is holding back many investors.

• Like 7

Satanists, lol. Tolkien- who wrote LOTR- was a die-hard Christian, and biblical themes (agree with them are not) are scattered throughout his stories. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were part of the same writing circle (The Inklings), and both based what they were doing on Christian themes (C.S. Lewis much more blatantly).

Having built a ToO, and placed a Lego Smaug on top, I can tell you the effect is outstanding. This set is big, highly-detailed, and draws upon a literally work that is older than the majority of members of this forum (pre-WW II).

Your two hundred dollars may be better spent adding 39 dollars and buying a Tower Bridge.

Mine has been spent purchasing both. You will never see a Tower of Orthanc produced from TLG again, ever. What you will see, however, is future fans of Lord of the Rings- both the books and the movies- coupled with new-found Lego fans- who stumble upon this extraordinary piece and deem a several thousand investment worthy of what Tolkien's incredible work will mean to them.

Damn, Cross, you were on fire last night. Like x10

• Like 1

I don't think anyone doubts the appeal of this set to a hardcore LotR fan. But if nobody else wants it, who is going to bid them up to a "several thousand investment"?

For the people who built this set, is it a fun and impressive build? The reason I ask, I'm not a LOTR fan, nor my daughter,but when I was in a LEGO store two weeks ago the Queen(GF), said that looks like a nice set. She's not a huge LOTR or LEGO fan ( I know, terrible. She does buy my Daughter and myself lego though.) that's where I'm torn, do I buy this set or not..

I thought maybe when I build my HH, I can put this tower somewhere near it, or incorporate it somehow.

UGGH, choices.. I already spent a small fortune this year on LEGO, and we aren't even out of JAN..lol I know FEB will be the same ( UCS Hellcarrier, and other sets.)..

Again, is this a fun set to build, and does it look nice when built?

Thanks

I own this set and like both the build and display value.

Each floor uses different building techniques, so it doesn't become repetitive. And as others have said, the thing is huge and pretty impressive to look at.

I would never advise against it, but if you are not particularly a lotr fan there are alternatives. The Modular buildings would be my other favorites when it comes to build and display value.