10237 - Tower of Orthanc

This one will go like the HH. 

But sadly with not such a high flair as it did in my opinion. Saying this as an avid Tolkien fan. What I feel about LEGO LotR is that the theme being unfinished is working like a curse. Completionists are deterred because they can never have key characters/locations as of the current standing.

Still I am happy that LEGO even released a set like this, I find it amusing. If anybody asked me a few years ago about a possible LEGO exclusive Orthanc I would have laughed him/her off as delusional. This set is a one-off stuff that I believe will be truly appreciated only in the long run and we won't see a huge price hike in the short term after retirement.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 3

Is everyone that got ToO with cut top seals and newer seal codes taped over them going to keep it?

Anyone foresee a problem reselling ones like this? I can see buyers being suspicious.

Visited our local brand store today. ToO was in stock. On the bottom of the box the 3 seals were single seals with code 36R4. At the top of the box the seals were all double taped with code 50R4 on the top. The same for every copy they had.

You are not alone on this one.. Was cleaning up and just looked at my two received from AZ yesterday. Mine have 36R4 on bottom (single taped) and the top has 50R4 taped over the seals that are normally not numbered. Boxes in pristine condition.

I ordered some from Target earlier today, will be interesting to see if these are the same.

I can confirm this in Lego store in North Carolina as well. Each of the several they had in stock.

Seems to me this is worth documenting so that we can point potentially concerned buyers to it in the future. 

This must be an OFFICIAL Lego action since these have been found via Amazon AND Lego Brick and Mortar, AND Lego.com. This wasn't the work of just one outlet, or some scammers. These are official lego seals that were Re-Sealed for some reason. 

Perhaps these were going to go out back in the 34th week but demand wasn't there, so they were held until the 50th? Perhaps one side of the box was sealed then they waited for demand to pick up (Christmas rush) and when it was time to actually send them they sliced and resealed to show when they actually went to retailers? Who knows. But at least we can document it here so we know these codes are legit. 

This is too widespread to be a fluke.

The most interesting thing to me is, perhaps this confirms that the Seal code (as some have speculated) is when the item ships from lego to the retailer as opposed to when the item is actually produced. 

My guess would be a production issue with the week 36 sets that was caught and fixed in week 50.

You are probably right. I opened one around that time so it was probably the same batch. It was missing a whole bag (7 or 8 ). Also might explain why there was a shortage if they had to recall, pull parts and fix existing boxes while fixing the line issue.

Edited by tonysbricks

I don't know if it was posted before, but TRU.ca has removed the ToO listing completely like they've done with several of the recently sold out sets. After walmart.ca had a fire sale on these I doubt it is coming back in substantial numbers, at least to Canada.

You are probably right. I opened one around that time so it was probably the same batch. It was missing a whole bag (7 or 8 ). Also might explain why there was a shortage if they had to recall, pull parts and fix existing boxes while fixing the line issue.

That's interesting and also disturbing as I have a couple from that week's batch.  Did you get a replacement bag from Lego or did you return the set?

There's also a week 44 distribution on the set so I wonder if that was affected.

I also got one with 36R4 and 50R4 labels directly from Lego last week.

I don't know if it was posted before, but TRU.ca has removed the ToO listing completely like they've done with several of the recently sold out sets. After walmart.ca had a fire sale on these I doubt it is coming back in substantial numbers, at least to Canada.

It did come back into stock for 249 at Walmart, after the $209 ones sold out, so who knows what really happened there. The one I got was 50R13 though so maybe they were clearing them out. This seems plentiful in Lego stores but OOS at the other retailers, so maybe they fired up one last batch for Lego B&M/LEGO Shop at Home and that'll be all she wrote.

I have a sealed box from around that time.  Does someone have the weight for a complete ToO?  That's an easy way to verify whether it's potentially missing a bag.

Just weighed my five--seal codes 36, 39, 44, 50...

All weighed in between 6 lbs 15 oz and 6 lbs 15.5 oz. With occasional variance (especially at that weight on a postal scale), I'd say these have all the same parts inside.

All weighed in between 6 lbs 15 oz and 6 lbs 15.5 oz. With occasional variance (especially at that weight on a postal scale), I'd say these have all the same parts inside.

Would 1 missing bag be measurable in weight difference? It is a little concerning that some of these could potentially be missing a bag. I don't exactly want to open all of mine up to verify.

I noticed the BP price guide has weight data for all sets I searched.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10237-1

Says 7 lbs exact for ToO

Would 1 missing bag be measurable in weight difference? It is a little concerning that some of these could potentially be missing a bag. I don't exactly want to open all of mine up to verify.

LEGO Shop at Home sent me the parts. The bag was still on my desk so I weighed it, 4oz.

So based on all this, the sets are between 6lbs 15 oz, 6lbs 15.5 oz or 7lbs flat. And if the missing bag in question is 4 oz then i'd say any set between 6lb 15oz and 7lbs is perfectly safe.

Thanks for all the replies folks!!!

• Like 2

Still wondering why of all sets they have the FB listing STILL up...

But yeah TRU.ca's "Hard to Find" section is barren.

Still wondering why of all sets they have the FB listing STILL up...

But yeah TRU.ca's "Hard to Find" section is barren.

I think it is because it was a TRU 'exclusive' in Canada - it seems all the other sold out/retired sets get removed.