10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Big fan of lotr and not raining on any parades but not a fun build. Put this black piece on that black piece 1x 4x 8x 12x rinse and repeat over and over. Looks bad ass in my ikea detolf but lots of the same thing.

thanks Steaky.  I also am a fan of lotr, but what you say here is what I suppose I already feared.  As cool as it would look on display, it's quite large when assembled and my kids wouldn't care to play with it at all.  In the box it stays.  I'll convert it into money instead.

thanks Steaky.  I also am a fan of lotr, but what you say here is what I suppose I already feared.  As cool as it would look on display, it's quite large when assembled and my kids wouldn't care to play with it at all.  In the box it stays.  I'll convert it into money instead.

This is actually perfect, because mine will be off limits, don't touch, and kragled!

2 stores in my area got shipments today. One had "a whole pile of towers".

This may not be done yet... perhaps Lego just underestimated holiday demand with this one given all the other last runs and new stuff they have been cranking out the past 3 months?

Then again, one of the stores got a super late large shipment of R2 last month also...

Edited by Grynn

This may not be done yet... perhaps Lego just underestimated holiday demand with this one given all the other last runs and new stuff they have been cranking out the past 3 months?

Then again, one of the stores got a super late large shipment of R2 last month also...

Did you happen to look at the seal codes?  Were they from the week 44R4 batch?

Not surprising. I think the seal codes on the newest run will be from very late 2014. The question is, will there be any 2015 runs? If I knew the sure answer to that....

they wouldn't play or you wouldn't let them play ;)

This set is great for displaying superheroes. You can have mini figs scaling the tower or use it as batman tower.

Got my latest ToO I ordered from Amazon. The seals on the bottom are single tape sealed 44R4

The top seals are all double taped and have the codes 50R4

I've never seen two different codes on a box and the double tape on top concerns me.

On top, The first layer was cut and retaped with the 50R4 labels. I hate to return it since cheapest FBA is 40% above retail at $280

But I can see a future buyer being suspicious thinking parts or figures were removed.

Return??

Edited by legopocalypse

Got my latest ToO I ordered from Amazon. The seals on the bottom are single tape sealed 44R4

I've never seen two different codes on a box and the double tape on top concerns me.

On top, The first layer was cut and retaped with the 50R4 labels. I hate to return it since cheapest FBA is 40% above retail at $280

But I can see a future buyer being suspicious thinking parts or figures were removed.

Return??

I wonder if it's the one I returned. Mine had very loose seals that looked like it may have been opened before. Since I already had one to build and one on backorder, I sent it back. I didn't want to compromise the value I'd get for it when it went EOL.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Brickpicker mobile app

Return??

If it was me I would open it, verify all bags are there....then sell it as a brand new, non-sealed set showing it's all there.

• Like 1

Also posted this in DD thread.. ToO available today at Target for MSRP. link

Just flipped to OOS at Lego LEGO Shop at Home with expected date of 1/15. Wondering if this is more of the 50R4 run or a new batch. I'm having a hard time figuring out a target number for this set. Right now I have more than I initially planned to buy but only because so many other large exclusives I wanted are really hard to come by.

Return??

You are not alone on this one.. Was cleaning up and just looked at my two received from AZ yesterday. Mine have 36R4 on bottom (single taped) and the top has 50R4 taped over the seals that are normally not numbered. Boxes in pristine condition.

I ordered some from Target earlier today, will be interesting to see if these are the same.

• Like 1

I have no idea why I thought these lego sets were going to be around a while, but with everything retiring all at the same time recently ive been maxing out cards trying to play catchup for the last two months.  This set is showing signs of going out the door, and I was wondering if it would really be worth it to pick up like 5 of them right now?  Ive been collecting for 4 years so I know im not as seasoned as you guys, just wondering what you guys think about this set. 

Thanks for your time.

I apologize if this topic exists elsewhere, ive been doing searches on other forums and sub forums all over this messageboard with no luck.

Edited by vexxet

Was just at the Lego Store in San Mateo, CA. They had four on the shelves, but I forgot to look at the seal codes.

Visited our local brand store today. ToO was in stock. On the bottom of the box the 3 seals were single seals with code 36R4. At the top of the box the seals were all double taped with code 50R4 on the top. The same for every copy they had.