Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

4 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Never accept the first offer.

Oh, I forgot to mention the most important part about asking for a discount: always tell them you'll send pictures of the damage. Otherwise, they usually offer a standard 10% off. But with pictures, you can often get 30% or more off. I'm okay with a box that's an 8/10, but if it's 7/10 or worse, I'm snapping some pics and making sure LEGO sees the damage -- works every time if the damage is 7/10 or worse (as it should).

Edit: I originally said 7/10 is okay for me, that's a lie lol. I'm b*tching at 7. 

Yep; that didn’t work. Sent damage pics anyway for replacement.

2 hours ago, BrickStanley74 said:

I had contacted LEGO customer support about my 2 damaged Bricklink sets (General Store and Snack Shack). Couldn't replace them due to no stock, so I can either return for a refund or receive some Insider points. They offered me 5,200. Does that seem fair? Or like @Captain_Obvious suggests, should I haggle for more?

I've gotten around that much offered; but really what's the harm in making a counter offer:

I would say something in the line of: "This experience has taken up my time and has soured my relationship with the Lego brand which I was a big fan of before. Your offer of 5200 pts is OK but if you want me walking away from this call feeling positive about the Lego brand again, 10,000 points would would give me that"

• Like 2

But it does seem “fair” that is around 20% back in points for the $210 those 2 sets cost, but please check my math.

Complaint thread: can Lego make points to dollars a 1:1 conversion rate please and thank you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrickStanley74 said:

I had contacted LEGO customer support about my 2 damaged Bricklink sets (General Store and Snack Shack). Couldn't replace them due to no stock, so I can either return for a refund or receive some Insider points. They offered me 5,200. Does that seem fair? Or like @Captain_Obvious suggests, should I haggle for more?

Be honest with them, and most importantly yourself when negotiating. Always use the scale system. You know if the box is a 5/10 or a 10/10. If it’s a 7/10, ask for 30% and be happy with 20%. If it’s a 5/10, then ask for 50% and hold your ground. 

You have to follow my formula though:

1. Be honest with yourself and rate the damage 1-10 (this will determine the discount)

2. Take many pictures and immediately offer to send them in (they actually want to see them)

3. Tell them your a box collector, you never open the box, but you display the box so the condition is very important (you’re an adult, not a kid, and you’re paying premium prices)

Here’s a recent example. This box is definitely a 5 and they offered 20%. I said 20% doesn’t make sense and if I had to return, that would cost my time and money to do so (returning is not a free process for yourself). I got the 50%..

IMG_1975.thumb.jpeg.c644462f36907c6d3abd688581405435.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BrickStanley74 said:

Haggle for more, I  got $150 for the mountain fortress and $75 for the Atari that got delivered today, they originally only offered 3200, I guess that’s the max

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Be honest with them, and most importantly yourself when negotiating. Always use the scale system. You know if the box is a 5/10 or a 10/10. If it’s a 7/10, ask for 30% and be happy with 20%. If it’s a 5/10, then ask for 50% and hold your ground. 

You have to follow my formula though:

1. Be honest with yourself and rate the damage 1-10 (this will determine the discount)

2. Take many pictures and immediately offer to send them in (they actually want to see them)

3. Tell them your a box collector, you never open the box, but you display the box so the condition is very important (you’re an adult, not a kid, and you’re paying premium prices)

Here’s a recent example. This box is definitely a 5 and they offered 20%. I said 20% doesn’t make sense and if I had to return, that would cost my time and money to do so (returning is not a free process for yourself). I got the 50%..

IMG_1975.thumb.jpeg.c644462f36907c6d3abd688581405435.jpeg

Good advice, thanks I'll give it a try. My Snack Shack box (I posted on another thread) was worse than yours, almost pancaked at one end...so I'd be inclined to go for a 2/10 on that one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrickStanley74 said:

Well...they upped me from 5200 to 6500 points. Said that's the max they could offer me. Not as much as I was hoping for, but I can live with that.

One rep told me that’s the max they could do without approval from a supervisor. They should have given you that and refunded you the money, I saw the photo and that thing was thrashed.

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_6212.jpeg

4 hours ago, skiizim said:

One rep told me that’s the max they could do without approval from a supervisor. They should have given you that and refunded you the money, I saw the photo and that thing was thrashed.

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_6212.jpeg

Yep, it was definitely the worst damage I've ever received. Seems like I should try for more points, although it feels a bit weird to keep pushing the line like that. I've never really been in this situation before, so I don't want to feel like I'm pestering/haggling too much...if that even makes any sense lol