10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

With double VIP coming up, I thought about maybe finally putting a couple of these away for investment, but every time I think about it, I start to wonder if this set is the DS of creator sets.  It is certainly extremely popular and at a price point of $120 bucks, a lot more people can afford to make this their "splurge" purchase when out shopping for the day.  I just wonder if it is going to keep going, and going, and going...

Has there been any official product info on the upcoming Ferrari?  For example, what color it will be?  The only somewhat reasonable argument I might make towards the T1 retiring if is the Ferrari is also bright red.  Two red vehicles on the same shelf?  I know it sounds stupid, but if people want different color trains... Really can't see a Ferrari being anything but red.

With double VIP coming up, I thought about maybe finally putting a couple of these away for investment, but every time I think about it, I start to wonder if this set is the DS of creator sets.  It is certainly extremely popular and at a price point of $120 bucks, a lot more people can afford to make this their "splurge" purchase when out shopping for the day.  I just wonder if it is going to keep going, and going, and going...

Has there been any official product info on the upcoming Ferrari?  For example, what color it will be?  The only somewhat reasonable argument I might make towards the T1 retiring if is the Ferrari is also bright red.  Two red vehicles on the same shelf?  I know it sounds stupid, but if people want different color trains... Really can't see a Ferrari being anything but red.

I never understood why a Ferrari needs to be red.

Black is so much more classy and impressive. At least to me.

Ontopic: If it is red you might have a point.
  • Like 3

Building one today. Opened the box and saw that the bags aren't numbered :( This will be my first large build that didn't have numbered bags.....wish me luck!

If you don't like big sets without numbered bags, don't buy the Tower Bridge. Personally, I like the unnumbered bags in those sets. But that's mostly because I'm a parts seller on Bricklink and sets are easier to part out if all the same parts are together in the same bag.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

bought 3 of these, one im building bcs my girlfriend and I own a westfalia van that we use non stop camping/fishing, its a great vehicle. If theres a following that is true to their roots its the VW van/bus people, anytime you see another one you chat about your van and the great things you have done to it. These people are friendly and have CASH. These people are not hippies and honestly this set is a great gift to a VW owner.

That being said, this set will perform great as stated before. I have no problem paying MSRP bcs i know in 2 years i will come back to this thread and smile knowing we made the right choice :)

oh also the guy who bought 110 of these, was this a  typo? if not wow thats sweet!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually this argument makes sense and in economics it's called cannibalization. These cars are close substitutes in LEGO's palette, therefore it might be a reasonable assumption that the average consumer is almost indifferent between them. 

Imagine that T1 and F40 both sell very well, but most people only buy one of them. If the majority who face this choice would buy the F40 if there is no T1 (rather than not buying anything at all) then LEGO can do better with retiring the T1 so it could spare the production cost of multiple products (more parts). In this situation the T1 is devouring would-be sales of the F40, making it an in-house competitor.

Cannibalization might also (partly) explain the retirement of TH and R2 as well. It is not in the interest of LEGO to fragment demand too much across its products since it inflates costs and the benefits of cancelling production can outweigh the loss of some marginal sales.

I stepped back a few months for this to simply say thanks, inversion. There's so much to learn here on BP for those willing to listen.

• Like 1

I think the reason everyone is so pro T1 is because of the beetles success. If the beetle was a flop or never even made for that matter, we wouldn't be all over it. As for the SOH I think not many people are paying much attention because of the price point.

I just have to look at the T1 model to be all over it.  It's pretty impressive, as well as the box.

• Like 3

i feel as if tower bridge and camper have the same deal going on. Nobody likes the predecessor. SOH and MC

You might be right with the SOH, but I beg to disagree with the Mini Cooper.

(And you probably meant successor.)

Edited by 10230
  • Like 1

A VW-licensed set will especially here in Europe always remain popular, I even think more popular than a Ferrari-licensed set here in Northern Europe. Just hold.. despite the large amounts produced, there will always be a big market of VW-fans, car fanatics, future Lego collectors who are child now and of course the wealthy post-war baby boom generation who don't bother of spending 150 - 200 euro on such a set.

Great set, great price point IMO. 

Friends all seem to be drawn it by my T1 on display. It's even just a used model with some crooked placed stickers and it still has charm. I also have a MC but not as much attention for it. Maybe the color? Still cool but T1 appears to be the winner by landslide in this house.

The set is nice, but it is has been sold in high volume. I think it will spike to 150 and plateau for a long time at 200 Euro and god knows when. I am putting my money elsewhere. Here in germany this set is even available at retail car dealers...so many people know about that set, which will lower the demand.

The set is nice, but it is has been sold in high volume. I think it will spike to 150 and plateau for a long time at 200 Euro and god knows when. I am putting my money elsewhere. Here in germany this set is even available at retail car dealers...so many people know about that set, which will lower the demand.

Yeah... some dealerships even give this set as a gift when you buy a new car.