10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

How did those two sets perform before EOL? The camper regularly trades at 10-20% above RRP on eBay. TB trades at approx 10-20% below RRP.

last year people bought TB @ around $149 from walmart so its going to take some time for those inventory to vanish and price to return back to normal.

• Like 1

The problem is with the TB, not the T1.  We need a UCS TB that will accommodate two 10220's passing each other on the bridge.  A full-size RV to scale with the T1 would be awesome too.  Like one of those 40 footers with the starship cockpit seats and a Jacuzzi in the back.  The T1 is cute and all, but I wouldn't want to live in one.

The problem is with the TB, not the T1.  We need a UCS TB that will accommodate two 10220's passing each other on the bridge.  A full-size RV to scale with the T1 would be awesome too.  Like one of those 40 footers with the starship cockpit seats and a Jacuzzi in the back.  The T1 is cute and all, but I wouldn't want to live in one.

GhostDad glad to see you back.  Were you on vacation or something? Was worried you had exited stage left.  While I don't agree with every post you have, sometimes we are in full agreement, sometimes in full disagreement, I am glad your back and not gone.

• Like 1

GhostDad glad to see you back. Were you on vacation or something? Was worried you had exited stage left. While I don't agree with every post you have, sometimes we are in full agreement, sometimes in full disagreement, I am glad your back and not gone.

come on man.... He is a ghost.... He disappears from time to time.
  • Like 3

I've been flirting with the idea of no longer buying new Lego stock, as I already have about $70k (at current eBay prices) to unload and I am deeply concerned about the Lego reseller-threatening illegal activity that must not be mentioned by name lest my post be deleted.  So I stopped checking the daily deals thread.  But I do follow the threads for sets I own, since I need to know when I should start selling them.

I thought 10220 was set for retirement last fall when it was out of stock everywhere but LEGO Shop at Home and the MINI Cooper was coming out, so Lego would for the first time have two licensed automobile sets for sale at once, which had never happened before.  I applied the same logic to AA (with the Tumbler coming out) and turned out to be right, but no such luck with the T1.  So I check here every few days, hoping to read that it's sold out at LEGO Shop at Home or at least dropped to limit 2.

If you're in the US, or even better live in Europe but have a PayPal account filled with US$ for some reason, you can get a pretty solid deal on this set from European BrickLink sellers.  Even after shipping, it shouldn't be more than $100 from some of them.  The strong dollar is your friend.  Likewise if you invest in CMF cases.  If you haven't searched BrickLink in awhile, it's worth doing.  The euro has absolutely plunged over the past few months.

• Like 2

This is one set where a lot of peope have already reached or surpassed their number and I am not sure that it is such a good investment for new guys either - the best discounts have long gone.

The strong USD is definitely a plus and for small volume boxed sets like this one it may indeed work out cheaper but the same benefits apply to other sets like TH, HH and AA which have much lower sale prices in Europe than the US.

You can also still get the SC at RRP on EBay in Europe (not UK) and that would seem to be a much more profitable investment for US resellers.

We have lost HE and SC and both of them have about as much in common with the T1 as a Ferrari F40!

Seriously, though, I think this one will retire when TLG see that sales are dropping off and not recovering - the less investors go for it, the sooner that will be.

I firmly believe that Lego doesn't base retirements on sales of particular sets. I think there is a strict time line that they go by and when that date hits that's when they retire the set. I could be wrong but that's just my gut feeling

My belief is that Lego has a date for each set on which they retire it, but Lego checks the sales for the set before they make the decision. If the sales are exceeding the estimates, they keep the set in production. If not, it's retired. Just my theory. 

• Like 2

Or that the parts used were not common/expensive to make so they decided to swith capacity to other parts and stop making a bunch of sets that used them at the same time and it just so happened that TH was only just into it

Edited by valenciaeric

LEGO surely starts with a scheduled production estimate/run (or in other words, scheduled EOL) based on its market research. I'm sure they have changed production lengths in the past, but I'm sure it goes hand in hand with a long term view. They simply can't fire up the presses and squeeze out another 10K sets tomorrow if sales are good this month. Production doesn't work like that.

I firmly believe that Lego doesn't base retirements on sales of particular sets. I think there is a strict time line that they go by and when that date hits that's when they retire the set. I could be wrong but that's just my gut feeling

Nope. Lego is a business. Why would they discontinue a set that sells well? And isn't specifically tied to a retiring theme. R2 retired because it wasn't a hot seller and was probably slated to retire late 2014. Perhaps there were licensing issues as well. Haunted Hause tied to a theme, was a limited release and a slow seller until the end. I believe Joust lasted as long as it did because Lego over produced it based on the popularity of the Medieval Market. There are probably lots of reasons but please assume it's usually the most logical one.

I'm sure there has been sets that have been super money makers for lego but retired anyway when they could have stayed and made the company even more money. Who knows why they did what they do? It makes me wonder exactly how many people within TLG actually know stuff like this. I stand behind my theory that they retired the TH for no other purpose than to mess with resellers. I'm a cynic though ;)

Nope. Lego is a business. Why would they discontinue a set that sells well? And isn't specifically tied to a retiring theme. R2 retired because it wasn't a hot seller and was probably slated to retire late 2014. Perhaps there were licensing issues as well. Haunted Hause tied to a theme, was a limited release and a slow seller until the end. I believe Joust lasted as long as it did because Lego over produced it based on the popularity of the Medieval Market. There are probably lots of reasons but please assume it's usually the most logical one.

once again show me the numbers you have to back your claim......you clearly state as fact that R2 was a poor seller, show us the numbers then, I'll wait ;)
  • Like 1