10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

Guest TabbyBoy

I only have one and i already want to pop the seals and build it!

Do it, they are still very widely available.  Well, in Europe at least.

Do it, do it now!!!

You mean the cost of using a knife to cut open the seals?

No, the money he'll save not seeing a shrink because he can do something he wanted to (opening a $120 box) but he didn't. :)

Sepotato: open it, enjoy it: it will appease your mind for the rest of your life, so you'll not have some regrets (I understand you can regret losing some bucks, but you may have far more regrets not having fun from a set you owned).

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

The cost is long term - a collector/investor (convestor?) can buy a used set now for $100 US or less and keep a NISB set for resale down the road.  The NISB set will have significantly more value and THAT is the cost of opening a set now.  You benefit from building the set and having the new one to sell down the road. I love opening new sets but I only open new release sets and the further sets are in their respective "life" cycles, I avoid opening them and look for them used.

• Like 1

Only about 20% of Lego Investors will wait 8-10 years after this or any set retires, some will crack after a few months only if they will only make a few dollars. Even I never waited that long. And that goes for just about any set, its easy to say I can wait, but everybody will find out its far from easy.

Wise words from a pro.

Folks invest and are drawn to this for different reasons... For myself, I am treating Lego investing as a leg of my long-term savings (401k, 529b, Roth IRA)- and treating it just as seriously. And, like those investments, for my strategy I am strongly drawn to the buy and HOLD sets that are (to as much a degree as possible) showing strong potential as long-term investments.

Point well taken on holding that long. It remains my goal with this set (unless between now and then pricing flattens out completely).

There's no saying what this set will do with certainty, any more than someone would have predicted the 49's being 2-2. Any "analyst" can make logical assumptions and conclusions, but nothing is certain.

For this poster, the previously mentioned points of the van's timelessness, beautiful display, popularity and overall appeal make it a wonderful prospect as being highly valued as a long-term hold.

Finally did some unboxing today...anyone else have a weird glitch with the recent promo where you tried to order 1 but ended up with a bunch? I'm guessing TLG has a fix for it...involving a hammer.

59EGpO5.jpg

Looks like 5 to me.  Good job at exercising your adherence to the limit and not getting too greedy.

• Like 6

It's a limit of 5 sets per order.  Clearly multiple orders were placed over a period of time, say 5 minutes.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if the very idea of a limit on LEGO Shop at Home is just sort of an inside joke between TLG and resellers.  Maybe the Ban Hammer isn't corporate policy at all, but just one disgruntled ex-employee out there somewhere who periodically hacks into TLG's network and bans someone for kicks...

• Like 1

I actually ordered these over quite a few accounts in a week long stretch to be honest.

I took exciter's post as a joke...on this site where amassing gluttonous hoards (err..investing) is the name of the game especially.

If it was a serious comment...well, I'll just be quiet and get back to my spaghetti dinner:

post-28930-0-03996700-1412847588_thumb.j

I actually ordered these over quite a few accounts in a week long stretch to be honest.

I took exciter's post as a joke...on this site where amassing gluttonous hoards (err..investing) is the name of the game especially.

If it was a serious comment...well, I'll just be quiet and get back to my spaghetti dinner:

I took it as a joke as well, which is what I think it was. 

Seven is an awesome movie as well.

honestly, chest pumping posts like this only adds more evidence if lego is actually watching sites for reselling.  they can easily x-ref 10220s ordered to specific people by simple BI reporting on a few fields.

i know it's a free country but if they are indeed trackingm good luck.

Finally did some unboxing today...anyone else have a weird glitch with the recent promo where you tried to order 1 but ended up with a bunch? I'm guessing TLG has a fix for it...involving a hammer.

59EGpO5.jpg

Guest TabbyBoy

I know of a Lego store employee in Cardiff and a friend's wife who work for Merlin at Legoland Windsor who are indeed Brickpicker members but, I don't have their ID.  If we open up a paid membership, how about asking for payslips to prove that you don't "work for the devil" ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I have not got this set yet would you all say it will still be a good profit set ?

It's a no brainer as it often sells for above RRP when still in stock at Lego and John Lewis.  Like the HH, this will disappear quickly once the frenzy beginds.