10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

Ya I phoned Lego, I changed my address to include a Box # (I recently got a new one) and the girl on the phone said that their system doesn`t liek it because they don`t ship to PO Boxes in Canada. She said the status should change within 24-48 hours (we removed the PO Box from the address). So, no ban for me, not yet at least haha. 

Yay! Congrats  :drinks:  :party::friends:   :party:

• Like 1

I think it is quite easy to misplace several thousand poly bags. A pallet could have 1000 or more on it, so maybe LEGO did find a batch in some storage facility and had no idea what to do with them. I do wonder about how this promo was advertised, if at all.

If indeed they just found an extra pallet that was forgotten in a warehouse somewhere, it certainly would make sense to give them away with online purchases of the real T1. It wouldn't be cost worthwhile to distribute them to stores a box at a time.

Also, in July we got the Mini polybag with the early VIP release... If that was successful, it could have easily given some Lego exec the bright idea to pair this with just the T1 to increase sales especially prior to 2x VIP.

The Limited exclusive 40079 Poly (1st wave) was meant to be available for Sept 2013, or while supplies last. Does anyone recall if they ended the promo before the end of Sept? Since supply had not run out - wouldn't those buyers who didn't get them then (because there was seemingly no supply) be somewhat entitled to get them?

I missed the original promo, but my local Lego store had a pile of these for sale by the register last November. I bought one for myself as a stocking stuffer since I'm a VW fan. In hindsight, I wish I had bought the whole lot.

If indeed they just found an extra pallet that was forgotten in a warehouse somewhere, it certainly would make sense to give them away with online purchases of the real T1. It wouldn't be cost worthwhile to distribute them to stores a box at a time.

Also, in July we got the Mini polybag with the early VIP release... If that was successful, it could have easily given some Lego exec the bright idea to pair this with just the T1 to increase sales especially prior to 2x VIP.

I bet that exec got a promotion. :)

I still can't wait until those crates of SSDs reappear.

i've been waiting for walmart to find their crates of RI's.

by some miracle all 3 orders of T1s placed yesterday are actually shipped.

i had ordered 5 earlier in the year.

thinking about dancin' some more with that ban hammer devil - i think they want these to go EOL and this is how we do it.

the fact that they are only giving them with a T1 purchase and that you get 1 with EACH T1 purposely is encouraging buying multiples.

they let us go its the only explanation for the ease of our escape. 

Edited by cladner

I missed the original promo, but my local Lego store had a pile of these for sale by the register last November. I bought one for myself as a stocking stuffer since I'm a VW fan. In hindsight, I wish I had bought the whole lot.

i remember getting 1 VW camper polybag last december inplace of holiday set when they ran out of it.

also i am now thinking that they are adding this to empty their stock before the double VIP starts next month. its cheaper for them to give 1poly which is $5(price TLG puts on promotional items) vs double points. although one can say their value is same but the cost of VIP points redemption must be higher...

price of 20polybag = sopwithcamel.. see the difference?

also based on the latest seal its 32R4 been produced very recently untill 2 weeks ago.

Edited by newbie77

i remember getting 1 VW camper polybag last december inplace of holiday set when they ran out of it.

also i am now thinking that they are adding this to empty their stock before the double VIP starts next month. its cheaper for them to give 1poly which is $5(price TLG puts on promotional items) vs double points. although one can say their value is same but the cost of VIP points redemption must be higher...

price of 20polybag = sopwithcamel.. see the difference?

also based on the latest seal its 32R4 been produced very recently untill 2 weeks ago.

In Canada, the equivalent retail price on a poly like this is 5.99. Giving extra VIP points on $119.99 is equivalent to $5.99. I bet it's actually cheaper to give the VIPs instead of the poly because it takes longer to package it up for shipping.

If the polys were just extra sitting around gathering dust, then this is a great way to clear out some stock before 2x VIP.

Either way, who cares? I'm finally getting one for the collection and I didn't have to pay $40 for it!

I am waiting for the mini Sopwith Camel to re-appear :) I missed out on those

• Like 1

How hard is it to throw a couple of crates of poly bags to the side to reuse at a later time? Not hard. This is probably a one time special to unload these sets, but what if in three months they package the Exo Suit with the Classic Spaceman promo? It's not a direct blow to resellers, but it would make it less profitable to be a reseller nonetheless.

Physically, not difficult at all. I just don't see LEGO doing this because inventory costs money, especially at this scale. For them to make that as practice to sabatoge resellers would be pretty petty and cost them more in the end than us reselling their product. Is it possible, of course it is, I just don't see that scenario being reality. But I could be wrong.

Forgive me if I missed it, but has anyone reported any production codes on the VW Camper polybags? It would be interesting to see if they were excess from last year, or a brand new run.

Good point.  The codes might actually tell us a lot in this case.

I guess I've never noticed codes on polybags, so I'll have to look more closely.