10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

That is a lot of VW. It should do well. So you maintain inventories of over 50 on most exclusives, warehouse?

I did put an inventory together at the start of the summer however I've added a lot of sets since then and not updated my records. It's something I'll do next year, at this stage I'm just interested in buying so no need to keep records yet as I've not sold any exclusives. My collection currently consists mainly of VW, GE, SSD, HH, TB, R2D2, Super Heroes and Lord of the Rings and Currently fills two lofts and a spare room. I reckon I've got space in my girlfriends loft for another

Edited by Crustybeaver

I did put an inventory together at the start of the summer however I've added a lot of sets since then and not updated my records. It's something I'll do next year, at this stage I'm just interested in buying so no need to keep records yet as I've not sold any exclusives. My collection currently consists mainly of VW, GE, SSD, HH, TB, R2D2, Super Heroes and Lord of the Rings and Currently fills two lofts and a spare room. I reckon I've got space in my girlfriends loft for another

• Like 1

@CB... My 22 seem pale in comparison but, I did load up on the Mars Rovers and did OK out of them.  The Campers will do well if the market isn't too flooded.

I just figured I needed something to bring in the big bucks and see this set as a good earner. I'm a little disappointed that it's looking unlikely it will retire at the end of this year, but I guess it will mean I'll have longer to buy more next year. Funnily enough while I have more of these than any other exclusive it's the LOTR sets that I've invested heaviest in. When Asda Direct were knocking out 50% off Lord of the Rings I waded in heavy on Pirate Ships, Black Gates and Unexpected Gatherings. While I know this is not the quickest climbing theme I do believe these sets will do well 2-3 years from now and am most excited at the prospect of these returns.

Guest TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

After seeing the quantity hoarded here, now I'm seriously thinking about selling mine.

Everyday we keep seeing new signs that this market is getting overcrowded.

For all we know, investors may hold just <1% of sets sold.  There's an awful lot of kids out there still.

After seeing the quantity hoarded here, now I'm seriously thinking about selling mine.

I wouldn't sell your Campervans you will most likely come to regret that at a later date. I don't think sets like this will ever lose appeal. Yes as time evolves and more investors enter the fray the secondary market will get crowded but with time prices will still rise. Whereas a few years ago good money was to be made quickly people will need to be more patient in the coming years. That said I think the Campervan price will double within a year of being retired.

I have a very full attic (I live at my girlfriend's house as she's OK with it!) and I've covered every box in a plastc bag and have a tarp over the whole lot.  That saved my stash when a couple of roof tiles slipped last Winter.  Also, I have them intemised on contents insurance.  For security, I always tell buyers that I have to "drive to my lockup" to pick up a set for collection.

Can't agree more, it's so important to keep your stash protected. All of my Lego is stored in cardboard boxes, I'm just not taking any risks. 

Man, kudos to those with 100 of these or more, though I'm not sure I'd want to be looking at getting rid of them in a hurry. Even selling one a week would take 2 years to sell them all. Selling one a fortnight would take 4 years. And that's in a market that's gonna be pretty crowded for a year or two at least.

Edited by tractorboy

But the market of people who's willing to pay $250 - $300 for it may be less than 0.5%.

We don't know either number, and I hope I'm wrong.

We don't know. But given that this is a VW van and sets that list at $120 have and continue to go for more than $250-$300, I wouldn't be worried. Just sell when you get a profit you're happy with.

Nah. If you are worried about it just don't buy anymore. You already paid for the ones you bought, might as well save them and make money at some point. They won't go down in value

I was responding to tractorboys  thoughts of a VW flooded market.

I never said flooded, just crowded. I still think the T1 will do well. Flooded implies that there is too many sellers to make a profit, which I don't think will happen with this set. I do think the price might climb slower than some people are hoping though.

By the time this hits EOL, there'll be people who have been sitting on large numbers of these for 2 or 3 years. Many of those might be quite happy to offload at a 50% mark up (or less) when it goes.

Edited by tractorboy

I know what you meant tractorboy... I think the U.K is a lot different than the U.S,  I see the set pretty scarce 4-5 years after eol.

After 4 or 5 years, yeah I'd say so too. It should be hitting a very nice price by then too. I think it will be quite a sought after set well into the future.

Serious, know what they are doing investors sure, but for every 1 of them there are 10 going into their local Tesco and helping them clear the shelves on lower price sets. 

Fair point.

My perception is that T1 Campervan will hit double RRP price quicker than SSD

Yeah, I would say so too. I suppose it's a question of trying to gauge how the bigger profit margin from the SSD fares against the sellability of the T1. Presumably the T1 will be a lot easier to sell, even at 2xRRP, though the profit margin will be less.