Doctor Who

StompingFreak

Fair enough, although I thought originally there were protests over Doctor Who beign too violent to be considered "family programming".  Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

That said, the LOTR/Hobbit point still stands - the Middle Earth franchise has become a part of worldwide pop culture, unlike Doctor Who.  LOTR/Hobbit's appeal has been augmented with four relatively recent motion pictures that have grossed billions of dollars, unlike Doctor Who. 

If Doctor Who wants to penetrate the US market, it will have to be broadcast on a different channel than BBC America.  Refresh it, make it edgy, and release it on broadcast network, and it could have a chance of hitting big and winning that Lego licensing deal.

There was a lot of protest in the 70's that Tom Baker's Who was too scary, there was a story where the last shot was Tom Baker drowning and Mary Whitehouse went off on one. Then again so was NuWho recently, mainly by the Nazi paper, the Daily Mail. But the classic series in the 60s/70s was made by the BBC children's department. In the 80's in the story Dragonfire they showed a full frontal shot of a character's face melting (similar to the scene in the Radars of the Lost Ark). It was very well done on a 80's DW budget - which was very small. I was 16 when I first saw it, even then i wanted to know how they got away with that one.

I think BBC America is the right channel as its the BBC but arguably the channel itself needs to be made more available ie; not on a high tier cable or satelite channel. From 2005 to 2008 it was on the SciFi channel who did not play the episodes at the same time as the UK; and they edited them down to fit in the ads. Episodes are played on PBS but they are always years behind. ( I get all this from the podcasts I listen to, so I may not be totally accurate ).

The Show has always been aimed at children. Which is why Mary Whitehouse, spent alot of the 70's/80's trying to get the show banned, as she deemed the show far too scary for children. Also USA loved the two Dr Who films. They were made by Hammer films. Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars) Played the Doctor. As for anonther channel showing Dr Who, The BBC are very clingy to the rights of thier shows. 

Doctor Who is the longest running Si-Fi show of all time(and space(lol)), It's been shown in more 75 countries(harry pothead 55). The Fan base age range is from 5yrs to 86yrs. As I said before, Lego may well have not been able to create the models for all the creatures involved in the show. Stomping

DW may be in more countries than HP, but the audience is bigger and covers the same age range you mentioned. In fact I bet there is a 90 year old HP fan out there some where. :)

As for the movies, I watched them both last week on Blu-ray. Very 1960's chic. The second one is a far superior film but did not do very well at the box office, so they canceled the 3rd which would have been based on the story, The Chase.

If you can, you should get her autobiography, that she was just finishing before she died. A brilliant read.

The audio version is good as well read by Caroline John (who played Liz Shaw) who also pass away recently. The audio book has a forward read by David Tennant and a post script read by Sadie Miller, Elisabeth's daughter.

• Like 2

There was a lot of protest in the 70's that Tom Baker's Who was too scary, there was a story where the last shot was Tom Baker drowning and Mary Whitehouse went off on one. Then again so was NuWho recently, mainly by the Nazi paper, the Daily Mail. But the classic series in the 60s/70s was made by the BBC children's department. In the 80's in the story Dragonfire they showed a full frontal shot of a character's face melting (similar to the scene in the Radars of the Lost Ark). It was very well done on a 80's DW budget - which was very small. I was 16 when I first saw it, even then i wanted to know how they got away with that one.

I think BBC America is the right channel as its the BBC but arguably the channel itself needs to be made more available ie; not on a high tier cable or satelite channel. From 2005 to 2008 it was on the SciFi channel who did not play the episodes at the same time as the UK; and they edited them down to fit in the ads. Episodes are played on PBS but they are always years behind. ( I get all this from the podcasts I listen to, so I may not be totally accurate ).

DW may be in more countries than HP, but the audience is bigger and covers the same age range you mentioned. In fact I bet there is a 90 year old HP fan out there some where. :)

As for the movies, I watched them both last week on Blu-ray. Very 1960's chic. The second one is a far superior film but did not do very well at the box office, so they canceled the 3rd which would have been based on the story, The Chase.

Very ture, but they were remakes of Will Hartnell stories. I will never had a problem with the movies. Only that the doctor calls himself Doctor Who. The Who in the title is a question. I know it's been miss credited over the years. The show is Doctor Who, the timelord is the Doctor. Great news to day about those missing ep's being restored. Just ordered DVD's. Stomping

Looks like your favorite -Harry Potter!  I believe the hair is from Hermione Granger's minifigure.

hp054.jpg

Dam you!!!! Ex-plee-my-arse-off!!! See I didn't know that was form Harry Ripoff. Minas Tirith or Hog Farts? Well???? lol. It would be nice to have Dr Who toys made by Lego for just one thing, The quality of their product. CB bricks look/feel cheap. Stomping

• Like 1

Correct regarding PBS - they show OLD reruns of Doctor Who and have been for years (20+?).  PBS exists because of viewer donations and government support - ratings are pretty low, and it's not a reliable platform to build viewership.

I don't see a lot of difference between the popularity of SciFi and BBC America among the hundreds of options Americans have on Basic Cable.  The British shows that have big success here (The Office, Idol, etc.) usually premier on network TV.  It's tough sledding gaining any meaningful traction on basic cable, and most shows on basic cable are considered niche.  There are some exceptions of course, but it's not the rule.

Dam you!!!! Ex-plee-my-arse-off!!! See I didn't know that was form Harry Ripoff. Minas Tirith or Hog Farts? Well???? lol. It would be nice to have Dr Who toys made by Lego for just one thing, The quality of their product. CB bricks look/feel cheap. Stomping

Hah - I thought you might not like that...

We can definitely agree on the quality issue.  I am always surprised by how terrible the plastic is from knock off brands.  Even Megabloks feel like garbage in comparison.

• Like 1

Correct regarding PBS - they show OLD reruns of Doctor Who and have been for years (20+?).  PBS exists because of viewer donations and government support - ratings are pretty low, and it's not a reliable platform to build viewership.

I don't see a lot of difference between the popularity of SciFi and BBC America among the hundreds of options Americans have on Basic Cable.  The British shows that have big success here (The Office, Idol, etc.) usually premier on network TV.  It's tough sledding gaining any meaningful traction on basic cable, and most shows on basic cable are considered niche.  There are some exceptions of course, but it's not the rule.

American TV has tried/does embrance many BBC/UK shows(remakes of classic's), But at the end of the day they were written for a UK market, Red Dwarf, Life on Mars etc, were remade for US tv, but they failed, Yet the UK versions are well respected by American veiwers. Doctor Who on the other hand, has no real ties to any country, only Planet Earth. That's why it sell's to so many counties. PBS, Netflix, have been showing classic Who for some time. It has proven great on viewing figures. This years Comic-Con, Press for the 50th was packed. Plus USA got more than UK fan's, Which on Twitter, has caused fan's to want to kick the living daylights(Bond) out of SM. 

I think if Lego had tried for the toy market, they would have been quids in. Stomping

Very ture, but they were remakes of Will Hartnell stories. I will never had a problem with the movies. Only that the doctor calls himself Doctor Who. The Who in the title is a question. I know it's been miss credited over the years. The show is Doctor Who, the timelord is the Doctor. Great news to day about those missing ep's being restored. Just ordered DVD's. Stomping

Yes that annoyed me as well and another thing that annoyed me pre 2005 about the Peter Cushing TARDIS was that you could see the police box doors from the inside! Then RTD goes and copies it. If the chameleon circuit was working it would make no sense!

I will be ordering the DVDs in November when they come out. Always wanted to 'see' The Enemy of the World. The audio track was great.

Yes that annoyed me as well and another thing that annoyed me pre 2005 about the Peter Cushing TARDIS was that you could see the police box doors from the inside! Then RTD goes and copies it. If the chameleon circuit was working it would make no sense!

I will be ordering the DVDs in November when they come out. Always wanted to 'see' The Enemy of the World. The audio track was great.

I did hear the audio a long time ago. With the new Tardis, I do miss the inner doors, They are men't to be the crossover between the two dimensional planes,(inside and outside shells of the Time Capsule (Tardis was the name Susan made up)) for those not in the know).  Stomping

Yeah, she was a total b******* probably getting cornholed by :devil: as we speak.

Cornhold, pmsl, very orcish of you sir. MW did alot of harm with her campaining. But she did some good(a very small amount)as well. But hopefully your right, the Devil is taking her roughly with a jagged pitch fork from behind. 

Stomping

I didn't realize that. Where did that info come from? Not trying to argue, just don't see where those stats are coming from

They were posted on twitter, by TimeLordBob, an MotherWho. Both close friends of mine in real life, and heads of the North West, Doctor Who appreciation Society. Our next group meet is in Manchester next Sataday, at the Corn Exchange. Stomping

Are you saying that it is the 4th most popular in England? I am confused. I find it highly unlikely that it has the fourth highest figures in the USA. I am not saying it isn't a great show. Just saying it isn't that popular in the states.

Uk is placed second(x-factor crap beat it), USA was 4th for series climax. Game of Thrones was a head of it. Stomping