6860 - The Batcave

Dr. Brick

While I don't think this set is a "home run" due to its predecessor being a better set, 6860 is already selling above retail less than a year from retirement.  You could do worse with your money, and for sure won't lose money.  Your biggest issue with the price getting up is that many here bought this and Daily Bugle for $30/$40, so they don't need it to go up in value as much as you at retail to make similar ROI. 

• Like 1

While I don't think this set is a "home run" due to its predecessor being a better set, 6860 is already selling above retail less than a year from retirement.  You could do worse with your money, and for sure won't lose money.  Your biggest issue with the price getting up is that many here bought this and Daily Bugle for $30/$40, so they don't need it to go up in value as much as you at retail to make similar ROI. 

​What he said... If you want to build it with your kids, it will make for a fun time!

I love this set. Offcourse the predecessors are better. But they are pretty scarce. So they will not be in the way of the 6860. I still have 3 of these and keeping them for another year at the least. 

​I don't think all the predecessors are better, I think the updated Arkham is better than the original.  The Batcaves are not even close though.  7783 is better than 6860 in every regard, from size to character selection.  I just got another 7783 I'm about to build and it's going to be hard to sell it and not the 6860's I have because of this.  At the same time, it has "Batcave" attached to it so it will do well.  It's not the worst set that has come through the DC line, it just had a lot to live up to.

Found 2 of these in a small book store on vacation. I just started buying/collecting LEGO in the last 6-7 months. Is it worth getting this at MSRP now that it is retired? They also had 1 of 76005 Spiderman daily bugle showdown at MSRP.

​I sold a couple of them for $70 each recently.  If you have zero and you can get in for $70 then I could not fault you for picking the 6860's up.   It isn't going to go down from here (or at least not until it has a long run up.)  If there are no batcaves around at Christmas you can make money on CL with them most likely if you have to sell.  You could put money into worse. 

This is a terrible investment at MSRP.  It was an ok investment at the brief holiday clearance price of $40.  Cartoonish set with little appeal to AFOLs.

Out of curiosity is there any set you like? I mean this will easily clear $110-$125 this Christmas, not a bad return at all for a $70 buy in and a 5 month hold.

Edited by Migration
  • Like 1

prob doesn't matter even at msrp.  a batcave is a batcave and will have decent demand until a newer  version is available. 

This is a terrible investment at MSRP.  It was an ok investment at the brief holiday clearance price of $40.  Cartoonish set with little appeal to AFOLs.

• Like 1

I do not understand it either. I bought mine for 62 euro and sold for 130 euro cash. That is more than 100% return.

On eBay, this is $85 - $90 + shipping.  That's after the initial post-EOL price jump (such as it was).  Buy at $70, sell at $90, eBay + PayPal takes $10 in fees (more if you're not a top-rated seller).  So you clear $10 on a $70 investment.  Awesome.  I have no idea how one of these was sold for 130 euro.  Maybe to a buyer without internet access?

Sure, it could go up by Christmas.  Or it might go nowhere like dozens of other Super Heroes sets.  What seems pretty clear now, at least in hindsight, is that the original Batman theme benefitted enormously from a short life, followed by no remakes for half a decade or so.  Lego has thoroughly saturated this market, to say nothing of counterfeits.

Edited by GhostDad

On eBay, this is $85 - $90 + shipping.  That's after the initial post-EOL price jump (such as it was).  Buy at $70, sell at $90, eBay + PayPal takes $10 in fees (more if you're not a top-rated seller).  So you clear $10 on a $70 investment.  Awesome.  Please don't tell me how this will be $125 by this Christmas.  Very, very few sets of the new Batman theme have done anything like that (maybe only the Batmobile Riddler Chase set).  I have no idea how one of these was sold for 130 euro.  Maybe to a buyer without internet access?

I think it will rise during the holidays and stay at $130+ after that.

On eBay, this is $85 - $90 + shipping.  That's after the initial post-EOL price jump (such as it was).  Buy at $70, sell at $90, eBay + PayPal takes $10 in fees (more if you're not a top-rated seller).  So you clear $10 on a $70 investment.  Awesome.  I have no idea how one of these was sold for 130 euro.  Maybe to a buyer without internet access?

Sure, it could go up by Christmas.  Or it might go nowhere like dozens of other Super Heroes sets.  What seems pretty clear now, at least in hindsight, is that the original Batman theme benefitted enormously from a short life, followed by no remakes for half a decade or so.  Lego has thoroughly saturated this market, to say nothing of counterfeits.

talk about no patience