It's like a Lego phone

graffiti600rr

Here's a promotional video for the phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwIErxxdyTg

http://www.phonebloks.com/

I'm a huge fan of modular items (modular construction, fishtanks, etc.), and this idea is simply ingenious! Thanks for sharing, this is a really cool idea. 

Very cool. I like the idea. I know I'd probably take apart the phone a couple dozen times a day, just for the heck of it! LOL

The proposed idea does make a lot of sense as it is very similar to the idea behind customizing your computer. Why replace, or in this case toss out the entire thing, when you really only need to replace one component? Certain parts could be trickier (mainly the motherboard) but this can be a nice way of cutting costs as well as allowing customers to truly personalize their phone. I only see difficulties with the software as different companies seem to use their own installed operating system.

I never broke a phone before, and I think it is cheaper to buy a whole new phone every 3 or 4 years than to upgrade every part piecemeal. This idea is interesting, but does not appeal to me at all.  If the component parts could be made and sold by different companies, then maybe that would attract me a little bit: if I could get a great camera and loads of memory, but they need to attract some big companies for that. What really bothers me, though, is the space between the parts.  If there is not a type of protective sheath around the whole phone, that thing is going to be so dirty from being in pockets and car consoles and drawers and such.  

I never broke a phone before, and I think it is cheaper to buy a whole new phone every 3 or 4 years than to upgrade every part piecemeal. This idea is interesting, but does not appeal to me at all.  If the component parts could be made and sold by different companies, then maybe that would attract me a little bit: if I could get a great camera and loads of memory, but they need to attract some big companies for that. What really bothers me, though, is the space between the parts.  If there is not a type of protective sheath around the whole phone, that thing is going to be so dirty from being in pockets and car consoles and drawers and such.  

Yeah I am with you. While i think its cool, parts of it don't seem reasonable. And I don't know that it would really appeal to me at all.