Opened box.

Ronda

I just wonder how that would happen - opened box but sealed bags (all of them).  Instructions and stickers are there, looking as good as they could.    I see such sets on ebay from time to time, the sellers seem to be reliable and the prices are ok too.  Any idea guys? 

Thanks!

If I missed any mentioning about it here - I'd appreciate a link to it :)

Could also be the seller opening the box to show that the set is all there and in good condition. Thats what i always thought anyway

This, particularly with people who don't understand the value of a sealed box. Some also open it I think and decide it is too difficult for their kid, or whoever, after seeing the pieces and instructions. My guess.

• Like 1

Some people may feel like they have to "prove the contents" as they assume they are selling to a builder and imagine them to be skeptical that all contents are included. They might feel that seeing the unopened numbered bags will give the builders a sense of security that everything is there.

I've bought a few opened sets on CL that people said were complete and they ended up being short a piece or two. I don't worry about it partly because I have a huge reserve tub of common pieces to pull from, but also because I realize people make mistakes. If it isn't a blatant amount of pieces or significant minifigs missing, I usually think they just missed something.  

• Like 1

I found a black pearl on clearance last year that the box was destroyed on 1 side and 1 or 2 of the seals were even loosely hanging. I went ahead and verified all contents after purchase and switched it out with a mint box that I had (from a personal purchase). When I get around selling it, I'll advertise new, sealed bags and mint box but be sure to clearly state the original box seals are not there. This is one real example of sealed, new set but opened box.

• Like 1

I just wonder how that would happen - opened box but sealed bags (all of them).  Instructions and stickers are there, looking as good as they could.    I see such sets on ebay from time to time, the sellers seem to be reliable and the prices are ok too.  Any idea guys? 

Thanks!

If I missed any mentioning about it here - I'd appreciate a link to it :)

There are tons of reasons - if the set wasn't taped well at the beginning in manufacturing, sometimes they come off as they are moved, some people open them to check what's inside.

I have a store near me that carries damaged items, etc. and I get Lego sets there all the time. I always open them to make sure they are complete.

• Like 1