Legoland is incredibly awesome!

17coyote

Just took my family for the first time to Legoland in Carlsbad and its is incredibley awesome!  It was the first time for all of us.  My son is only 8 months old, but never the less I think he enjoyed his time there.  It was the least amount of stress I have experienced at any type of amusement park.  The most stressful part came when we made our personal minifigures.  I came away from the whole experience knowing that there is nothing you can't make out of lego.  

I took the kids (5 and 3) and wife to Legoland California last year too and everyone had a great time.  We stayed right across the street from the Legoland grounds, within walking distance to the park.  San Diego is a great place to take kids on a vaca with Sea World, Legoland, San Diego Zoo and San Diego Safari Park (both awesome in their own right) close, and Disneyland/California Adventure (with the new Cars area that's phenomenal) just a 1.5 hour car trip away.

We went about 7 or 8 years ago to Carlsbad - definitely low-key, but fun.

Does Legoland have any park-only exclusives? I have a brother in San Diego, not too much trouble to take a side trip on the family visits if it would warrant the price of admission.

I've heard of promotional give aways that occur rarely, but I don't think there's anything routine.  The store their is not as good as most Lego Stores - while it's bigger, their selection gets picked over if you're not there before noon.  I don't believe they sell any park-exclusives in the store there.

I've been to Legoland California 2-3 times, and all of the times it was awesome. My favorite part was on one of Bionicle rollercoasters. I was so quiet that my dad thought I fell off the car... :P

Just so you know, the LEGO Discovery Centers do not compare with Legoland. If you go to the Discovery Center first, it is pretty good, but if you go to Legoland first, then the Discovery Center is a letdown.

Just so you know, the LEGO Discovery Centers do not compare with Legoland. If you go to the Discovery Center first, it is pretty good, but if you go to Legoland first, then the Discovery Center is a letdown.

Very true! In fact, the discovery center was a letdown to me and I haven't even been to the Legoland. Discovery center was ok for 1 time and my son had fun for about 2-3 hours, but probably wont go back. I had my hopes up too high.

Agreed, CB - your expectations can't be too high for Discovery Centers.  I bought an annual pass for the Discovery Center in Schaumburg, and have made good use out of it.  Both my son and daughter love going there - they like the 4D movies (the new Chima one especially), the dragon ride where you shoot "LaserTag" like guns at all manner of bad guys as you wind through Lego dragon displays, and the free build areas.  They especially like making and racing their own cars down the track.

While LDCs don't compare to Legoland, they are good for an afternoon of fun.  What they ARE good for is an amazing supply of Lego bricks to build whatever quickMOCs you want.

I really want to go - but I don't have children so I can't get in.

Me too. Actually, I've never been to any Legoland park ever. When I was little I had one chance to maybe but unfortunately it was one of those times where the day the park would have been open just so happened to be the day we had to leave. Bummer....

The last time I was at LEGOland was when the summer before I entered 5th grade. My mom, grandpa, grandma, 8 month old puppy, and I spent 4 and a half days driving our car 3000 miles cross country to go. That was by far the best vacation ever.

Didn't they make a movie about that?