Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

9 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I didn't say I'd have them do the reporting of these jackasses, I said I'd have them sign a petition asking eBay to do something about it.  

Really, it's not that complicated.  Do you have to open the box, plastic container, polybag, etc. to sell the item you're listing in the 'Brand New Sets' category?  If not, carry on.  If so, it is no longer 'Brand New' as you had to open it to sell whatever piece of the ACTUAL set/polybag you want to sell.  There are dozens of 'what ifs' that people can list, I'm sure.  But it's not rocket science.  Heck, it's not even 2nd grade reading comprehension.  I can ask my 5 yo to look at 20 listings and I'll bet you he can tell me if the item listed is a set or not 20 out of 20 times.  If that's the case, I really don't see any opposing argument to what I've suggested.

Not really my business if you choose to do either way...

But I think a lot of the folks would even appreciate you if you spend all that energy reporting fakes, not just picking the wrong categories but genuine LEGO. I agree there are a few minifigure pages to browse through when I'm looking for sets but not that bad that I would report any of the sellers. After a while, I just automatically sort out price, directly click to the middle pages.

Again, if you are working on a petition, could you also prepare another one for fakes while you are on it? Big thanks.

27 minutes ago, cissi said:

Not really my business if you choose to do either way...

But I think a lot of the folks would even appreciate you if you spend all that energy reporting fakes, not just picking the wrong categories but genuine LEGO. I agree there are a few minifigure pages to browse through when I'm looking for sets but not that bad that I would report any of the sellers. After a while, I just automatically sort out price, directly click to the middle pages.

Again, if you are working on a petition, could you also prepare another one for fakes while you are on it? Big thanks.

Believe me, I do that as well.  But I don't think us peons are going to rock that boat.  Getting eBay to make people list things in the correct category theoretically won't alter their revenue stream as I figure it's assumed most literate people will be able to find their Harry Potter minifig if it is all of a sudden categorized as an actual minifig.  But there are a TON of sales made on counterfeit LEGOs which eBay would stand to lose out on commissions of if they were to actually do any kind of policing.  Which is why if anyone were going to petition a business, they should petition LEGO as they are the ones with the lawyers and 'big stick' that could sway eBay on this issue.

And just to add, it's MIND-BOGGLING that LEGO hasn't pursued this.  

55 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I didn't say I'd have them do the reporting of these jackasses, I said I'd have them sign a petition asking eBay to do something about it.  

Really, it's not that complicated.  Do you have to open the box, plastic container, polybag, etc. to sell the item you're listing in the 'Brand New Sets' category?  If not, carry on.  If so, it is no longer 'Brand New' as you had to open it to sell whatever piece of the ACTUAL set/polybag you want to sell.  There are dozens of 'what ifs' that people can list, I'm sure.  But it's not rocket science.  Heck, it's not even 2nd grade reading comprehension.  I can ask my 5 yo to look at 20 listings and I'll bet you he can tell me if the item listed is a set or not 20 out of 20 times.  If that's the case, I really don't see any opposing argument to what I've suggested.

I am so glad for you that you were not such an avid ebay user when the sub categories consisted of themes ie. city vs space vs bionicle etc.  All of them cross category listings back then would have driven somebody nuts.

In perfect world everything is in orde and sellers should list under the proper categories.  On the other hand, it is more benefical for the sellers that ebay spends its limited resourcrs kicking the fakes out of LEGO category instead of micromanaging sets vs minifigs listings.

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I am so glad for you that you were not such an avid ebay user when the sub categories consisted of themes ie. city vs space vs bionicle etc.  All of them cross category listings back then would have driven somebody nuts.

In perfect world everything is in orde and sellers should list under the proper categories.  On the other hand, it is more benefical for the sellers that ebay spends its limited resourcrs kicking the fakes out of LEGO category instead of micromanaging sets vs minifigs listings.

I'll agree with you once I see less fakes listed.

I guess I should also note; In the example I provided, EVERY SINGLE listing for a minifig was listed in two categories.

Toys & Hobbies>Building Toys>LEGO>Minifigures, Bulk Bricks/Lots>Minifigures

Toys & Hobbies>Building Toys>LEGO>Sets

So these aren't eBay-challenged folks doing it.  They are purposefully attempting "Search and Browse manipulation", which is verbatum from eBay's reporting page.  Seriously, what percentage of eBayers wanting to buy a Death Star does a search for LEGO 10188 and sees 100 minifigs for sale and says, "Wow!  I can just buy every minifig for $300? I never knew that!  I'll just do that instead of actually buying the set I was looking for." vs. the percentage of people that curse those 100 listings for mucking up the search results?

10 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I guess I should also note; In the example I provided, EVERY SINGLE listing for a minifig was listed in two categories.

Toys & Hobbies>Building Toys>LEGO>Minifigures, Bulk Bricks/Lots>Minifigures

Toys & Hobbies>Building Toys>LEGO>Sets

So these aren't eBay-challenged folks doing it.  They are purposefully attempting "Search and Browse manipulation", which is verbatum from eBay's reporting page.  Seriously, what percentage of eBayers wanting to buy a Death Star does a search for LEGO 10188 and sees 100 minifigs for sale and says, "Wow!  I can just buy every minifig for $300? I never knew that!  I'll just do that instead of actually buying the set I was looking for." vs. the percentage of people that curse those 100 listings for mucking up the search results?

Yeah, good luck getting eBay to relinquish their stream of revenue (ie. those people paid extra to list under 2 categories).  

Let us know if your complaints are being heard by eBay though, in case they put a potential buyer's satisfaction over money in the pocket.

4 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Yeah, good luck getting eBay to relinquish their stream of revenue (ie. those people paid extra to list under 2 categories).  

Let us know if your complaints are being heard by eBay though, in case they put a potential buyer's satisfaction over money in the pocket.

Aren't you the one that said this, "  On the other hand, it is more benefical for the sellers that ebay spends its limited resourcrs kicking the fakes out of LEGO category instead of micromanaging sets vs minifigs listings."?  $2 vs. what, $40 for a $400 set?   Which running back would you tackle?

4 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Aren't you the one that said this, "  On the other hand, it is more benefical for the sellers that ebay spends its limited resourcrs kicking the fakes out of LEGO category instead of micromanaging sets vs minifigs listings."?  $2 vs. what, $40 for a $400 set?   Which running back would you tackle?

You know my answer.  I am also curious what eBay's answer to that question, which is why I asked you to inform us if they would choose your complaint over money in their pocket.

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

those sub categories of an insane amount of options did suck

this same argument is another that comes up a lot.  The whole new for used, set or part of a set.  A big part still falls on ebay for never adding a "new other" option like just about every other main category.  The fact that certain categories have totally different sub categories makes no sense to begin with.  Toys you get new and used.  Jewelry you get new with tags, new without tags, new with defects, and preowned.  Household items get New , New other, seller refurbished, manufacturer refurbished, used and for parts not working.  

The fact that there are so many options for some categories and hardly any for some does not make much sense and they have had years to ad them but never do.

Then they said you can't use "like new" for items they are either new or used yet still have the like new condition for video games. So go figure.

The argument will always be there whether its new or used but more conditions would help.   The argument with set vs figure is kind of silly and could just be in LEGO to begin with.  If you sell the figs from say a MF versus selling the MF they both come from a set.  Most people put xxx minifigure from 7965 or whatever so not sure that really matters to begin with.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Most people put xxx minifigure from 7965 or whatever so not sure that really matters to begin with.  

Agree with everything you said up until here.  If I want a 7965, I would type in "lego 7965".  I never change the search category from 'All Categories", but eBay has a pretty smart algorithm, so it automatically throws me into the search results for "Lego 7965 - Sets".  Perfect.  Exactly what I'm looking for.  But wait a second, what are all of these minifigs, sticker sheets, instruction manuals, etc. doing here?  I check on the left, I see 'Sets' which is in black meaning that's the category I'm in, 'Minifigures, Bulk Bricks/Lots" and "Other LEGO" are categories I can click in, but obviously I'm looking for a set, so I'm right where I should be.  But, what do you know, there they are, 41 listings that are not 7965 sets (but DO fit nicely in one of those other two categories) that I have to scroll through before I hit the first actual LEGO 7965 set.  

Edited by Loghamel

10 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Agree with everything you said up until here.  If I want a 7965, I would type in "lego 7965".  I never change the search category from 'All Categories", but eBay has a pretty smart algorithm, so it automatically throws me into the search results for "Lego 7965 - Sets".  Perfect.  Exactly what I'm looking for.  But wait a second, what are all of these minifigs, sticker sheets, instruction manuals, etc. doing here?  I check on the left, I see 'Sets' which is in black meaning that's the category I'm in, 'Minifigures, Bulk Bricks/Lots" and "Other LEGO" are categories I can click in, but obviously I'm looking for a set, so I'm right where I should be.  But, what do you know, there they are, 41 listings that are not 7965 sets that I have to scroll through before I hit the first actual LEGO 7965 set.  

so what about the guy searching for a minifig from 7965??  He wants those to pull up.  Just saying the search feature pulls from title or text so if you're doing a main search they all come up anyways.  Not that many use the category searches these days.  

It happens for me when pricing stuff as well as I have to sort through some stuff but have some tricks to get the main info I want.  Don't really think there's a perfect system.  

5 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

so what about the guy searching for a minifig from 7965??  He wants those to pull up.  Just saying the search feature pulls from title or text so if you're doing a main search they all come up anyways.  Not that many use the category searches these days.  

It happens for me when pricing stuff as well as I have to sort through some stuff but have some tricks to get the main info I want.  Don't really think there's a perfect system.  

He clicks on the "Minifigures, Bulk Bricks/Lots" sitting right over there on the left side.  One click, boom!  All minifigs from 7965.  One click.  Perfect system.

Alright, I get it.  I would like to end world hunger as well.  Neither is going to happen.  But just say it's because eBay doesn't care and, because they don't care, people who want to sell minifigs and have more eyes on their listings get to list in the sets category.  Because that's what it boils down to.  If it wasn't allowed, people wanting sets would only see sets.  People wanting minifigs would only see minifigs.  It's not ambiguous.  It's not difficult.  It's a perfect system made imperfect because people don't follow listing rules.  Period.

21 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Alright, I get it.  I would like to end world hunger as well.  Neither is going to happen.  But just say it's because eBay doesn't care and, because they don't care, people who want to sell minifigs and have more eyes on their listings get to list in the sets category.  Because that's what it boils down to.  If it wasn't allowed, people wanting sets would only see sets.  People wanting minifigs would only see minifigs.  It's not ambiguous.  It's not difficult.  It's a perfect system made imperfect because people don't follow listing rules.  Period.

There is no such thing as perfect system.

Fact is eBay allow people to pay extra and list under TWO categories, that is how they make money.  Again, this is something that you need to bring to eBay.  If you back up your claim with concrete statistics on how atrocious this practice is, maybe they will look into it.

I am seriously interested in hearing the outcome of such inquiry / complaint

5 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Ok, last post about this.  Can you tell me what is 'imperfect' about this:  Person A wants a set.  Chooses sets.  Sees sets.  Person B wants a minifig.  Chooses minifigs.  Sees minifigs.

Your assessment relies on the assumption that 1 listing can only be created under 1 category.  Since the fact is eBay allow up to 2 categories per listing, your assumption is voided.

and the fact that a good amount of people just search, they don't use categories.  I have never once used a category to search something.  Plus you would be missing stuff more than likely just as when you search completed versus sold.  Even though they are both ended items you can get different things to come up on sold and completed.  Another issue that has gone on for a long time.  

So for people that part out large sets say like Helicarrier which you could get close to $550 for awhile broken down.  

People listed the microfigs and accessories,  the figs with the shield symbol, and the actual helicarrier.  They are all still part of the set so what is the difference??   What parts of a set qualify for being sets.  They aren't bulk lots of bricks as you can still give instructions to them and so forth.

The mention of it circumventing ebays rules is not really true, you aren't allowed to spam titles but if you have something from set 76042 in your helicarrier partial auction it is still from 76042 and you do have a right to use it.  

The people that just throw a number in there to get exposure and have nothing to up for auction from that set is definitely a right to be upset but I just don't see it on the other.

Everyones allowed an opinion and there is so many variables that people are always going to disagree over it so not a big deal in my book.

Eventially Ebay could just change all the categories again to something more generic like building toys as the main one and then just LEGO Megabloks etc etc.  So then what?? They've done it in other categories and it makes it much easier anyways.  People who are looking for that specific item will always find a way to find it without categories.

• Like 2

You're giving categories too much responsibility. Think of categories like a cleaver, and your search terms are your boning knife. You can use Boolean logic in your search to get more satisfying results than it sounds like your getting. Use parentheses and put things you want to filter out inside. IE: LEGO 45364 (-minifigure, -stickers)

13 minutes ago, Agsimpson13 said:

I can't believe some people.  This guy stole my watermarked image.  Granted it is light...hence the term watermark.  Did he not see it.  Regardless, I can't stand image theft.  I sent him a threatening email.  Some people take the cake.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/351571401614?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I absolutely can't stand that! You should've reported him instead. It is a good pic though...

I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but if mods think it needs to be, feel free to move this.

I am looking for opinions (hopefully no arguments). I have two Indominus Rex sets, two Raptor Escape sets, and one Raptor Rampage set. I am listing one RE and the RR together and one IR on its own.

My daughter really wants the RE and IR sets, but really she just wants Echo and Indominus Rex. The rest of the sets she doesn't care that much about and she already has a ton of Lego. So I want to keep those two figures from IR and RE and sell the rest of the sets with all other minifigs etc. How would you go about this? I can't really find any similar listings because they all seem to have no dinos and minifigs. I don't really want to sell minifigs separate and all that, but I am just not sure where to price it.

Anyway, I appreciate any input. Thanks!

On 10/28/2015, 9:19:08, iahawks550 said:

Couple of questions for those who are in the know. (Thought there was another forum for Ebay questions and couldn't find it)

1.  I sold $350 worth of JP sets on a Best Offer. Paid by Paypal and the shipping address was confirmed, but to a hotel in Long Island. The phone number was a 1-800 number that checked to an extended stay hotel in Orlando. I had some emails back and forth with the buyer, but was still unsure about this.

Called Ebay and they said I needed to ship, but suggested signature confirmation. Said I would be covered if I did all this. Will I get screwed on this??

2.  Will EBay honor a cancellation on your listing if you have "Will not ship to hotels" or "Will not sell to those with under 10 feedback" etc?

On 10/28/2015, 9:31:43, gregpj said:

Hotels do this all the time for guests so I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

As to your question #2 - no eBay will not honor it, especially the under 10 feedback. What if the person purchasing it was a hotel employee and they were shipping it to their work? I realize that's probably not the case here, but my question stands. I used to ship stuff to my work address all the time because someone was there to get it during business hours!

** Edit - signature confirmation isn't required because it's under the $750 threshold, but how much will it cost? Might be worth the peace of mind. **

Anyone have any insight on shipping to hotels?  Is this a scam?  Have an ebay buyer asking about shipping to a hotel in a couple weeks.  Going to tell him No, I won't hold the package for you because ebay dings me, but is there any other concerns here if paypal ends up being confirmed?

7 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Anyone have any insight on shipping to hotels?  Is this a scam?  Have an ebay buyer asking about shipping to a hotel in a couple weeks.  Going to tell him No, I won't hold the package for you because ebay dings me, but is there any other concerns here if paypal ends up being confirmed?

I have some regulars that have items shipped when they plan to fly into the states - it likely isn't a scam. As long as they set up their account to have the hotel address (without you needing to change it), it should be fine (make sure that they have updated their address on their account, before the purchase).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KShine said:

I have some regulars that have items shipped when they plan to fly into the states - it likely isn't a scam. As long as they set up their account to have the hotel address (without you needing to change it), it should be fine (make sure that they have updated their address on their account, before the purchase).

Sounds good, since Priority gives me automatic insurance, I'm pretty safe anyway if it gets claimed as not delivered.  Just have never had this request in a dozen years of selling on ebay.

9 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Sounds good, since Priority gives me automatic insurance, I'm pretty safe anyway if it gets claimed as not delivered.  Just have never had this request in a dozen years of selling on ebay.

Just make sure that you mention that they will need to have the address updated on their account, before the purchase is made.

• Like 1