Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

What kind of scam is it if someone from Russia offered $1000 (and automatically accepted by the system) for something listed less than $100?

That sounds like a profitable one - They must have thought it was worth more, and just didn't want to rip you off.

Edited by KShine

Offering a lot more as the stated price triggers the system to automatically accept the offer. It is a system the "nigerian connection" is using to scam people. In that case there will be a (fake!) mail from someone abroad, needing the item as fast as possible and offering to pay much more for it, than what it actually was worth. Of course they want you to send the item and they never pay for it (despite mails from a financial institute like "send the item, your money is on the way").

Or...it was just a russian billionaire ;)

Just a heads up regarding ebay/paypal.

There appears to be a glitch that is causing some payments to go through as an echeck, instead of paying immediately out of your paypal balance.

I had this happen to me twice yesterday. After speaking with them, they don't know how/why - it shouldn't happen.

Just wondering if anyone on here lists items that are currently still available at retail at ludicrously high prices on ebay (ok so maybe 1.5x MRSP or something) in the hope that some naive consumer just bites?  Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with that but just interested if its common practice at all?

Or is just a case of some people reading about "lego investing" and now everyone thinks they have boxes of gold 2 mins after walking out of the store?

Just wondering if anyone on here lists items that are currently still available at retail at ludicrously high prices on ebay (ok so maybe 1.5x MRSP or something) in the hope that some naive consumer just bites?  Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with that but just interested if its common practice at all?

Or is just a case of some people reading about "lego investing" and now everyone thinks they have boxes of gold 2 mins after walking out of the store?

Yes, but not because we think that someone will accidentally buy one.

1. Search hits lead shoppers to look at (and buy) other items you have listed.  So having inventory listed at prices way above current averages can draw traffic.

2. If you have a large inventory, listing it with your target price allows you to "set it and forget it" rather than monitoring average prices on dozens of SKUs and listing when it gets close to your target.  Parking them as active listings allows the market to catch up to your price at some point in the future.

3. The more sellers that have active items at their target price, the more likely that new sellers will list at higher prices if they research current listings.  It creates a tendency to pull up the average price more quickly after retirement.  That's why you usually see an immediate jump in price rather than a slow climb.  In other words, you're unlikely to find a $100 RRP set selling for $105 after retirement (TRU excluded), but may see it jump from $100 to $150, then slow climb from there.  

4. eBay generally offers large quantities of free fixed price listings to sellers, so there is negligible cost to have sets sit out there active for months.

• Like 5

Sold a Grand Emporium and wondered why I hadn't received payment.  I received this from PayPal shortly afterward.

You have received a payment that we believe may not have been authorized by the PayPal account holder.  Here are the details of the transaction we are
investigating:
-----------------------------------
Transaction Details

We recommend that you don’t ship the item until our investigation is complete.  If you’ve already shipped the item, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Center to provide the shipping details.

In order to continue our investigation, we need some additional information from you.

Here’s how to provide us the information we need:

1.  Log in to your PayPal account.
2.  Click “Resolution Center” near the top of the page.
3.  Click "Resolve" in the Action column to view the information we need.
4.  You can either fax or upload your documents to us.

You can fax your documents to us at: 402-537-5760
Please include a fax cover sheet that includes the email address registered on your PayPal account and your case ID number.

Here’s how to upload your documents:

3.  Find your case under "Resolution Center cases," then click "Resolve"
next to the request for documentation. 
4.  Click “Upload Files.”
5.  Click “Browse” to find the file you want to send, and then click “Open.”
6.  Enter a title for the file.
7.  Select the type of evidence, and then click “Attach This File.”
8.  Attach any other files, and then click “Send Files to PayPal.”

Please provide this information within 7 days.

This payment will remain on hold and unavailable to you until we complete our investigation. We will email you when we complete our investigation.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Sold a Grand Emporium and wondered why I hadn't received payment.  I received this from PayPal shortly afterward.

You have received a payment that we believe may not have been authorized by the PayPal account holder.  Here are the details of the transaction we are
investigating:
Transaction Details

We recommend that you don’t ship the item until our investigation is complete.  If you’ve already shipped the item, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Center to provide the shipping details.

In order to continue our investigation, we need some additional information from you.

Please include a fax cover sheet that includes the email address registered on your PayPal account and your case ID number.

This payment will remain on hold and unavailable to you until we complete our investigation. We will email you when we complete our investigation.

Sincerely,
PayPal

This isn't very unusual - Had you already shipped the item?

Yes, but not because we think that someone will accidentally buy one.

1. Search hits lead shoppers to look at (and buy) other items you have listed.  So having inventory listed at prices way above current averages can draw traffic.

2. If you have a large inventory, listing it with your target price allows you to "set it and forget it" rather than monitoring average prices on dozens of SKUs and listing when it gets close to your target.  Parking them as active listings allows the market to catch up to your price at some point in the future.

3. The more sellers that have active items at their target price, the more likely that new sellers will list at higher prices if they research current listings.  It creates a tendency to pull up the average price more quickly after retirement.  That's why you usually see an immediate jump in price rather than a slow climb.  In other words, you're unlikely to find a $100 RRP set selling for $105 after retirement (TRU excluded), but may see it jump from $100 to $150, then slow climb from there.  

4. eBay generally offers large quantities of free fixed price listings to sellers, so there is negligible cost to have sets sit out there active for months.

Thanks for the explain.  Actually makes a lot of sense;  shame on me for just thinking people were out to pull a fast one all the time.  My apoligies.

Slightly related though what i do find a bit underhanded (and here's my old man rant for the day) is people marking up the price and labeling sets as retired in the title (and in the description) when i'm pretty sure they know they're not.  Assume its a ploy too spook buyers into a quick reaction.

Nope, I always confirm payment first.  I sent the buyer a couple messages telling them to get it resolved before I ship it.

Paypal is looking for confirmation that it is them. Sometimes the reviews are due to red flags, other times it almost seems random.

It is good that you contacted the buyer, as they will need to get in touch with paypal.

Did you notice anything unusual (recent inactivity, shipping to Russia, etc)?

Thanks for the explain.  Actually makes a lot of sense;  shame on me for just thinking people were out to pull a fast one all the time.  My apoligies.

Slightly related though what i do find a bit underhanded (and here's my old man rant for the day) is people marking up the price and labeling sets as retired in the title (and in the description) when i'm pretty sure they know they're not.  Assume its a ploy too spook buyers into a quick reaction.

Based on the prior explanation, it would make sense to list it as retired so that the listing will be accurate after it does retire and priced more appropriately for a retired set.  As was explained, a seller might set it up for sale early so they won't forget to do it later.

Edited by sharky1999

investigating:
Transaction Details

Sincerely,
PayPal

I received something similar the other day.  I had gotten paid, everything checked out as far as Paypal and eBay were concerned - I was sending to a confirmed address.  I was a little concerned because the eBay account holder name and the name I was sending to didn't match.  I got an open case on the payment, but it was closed (by the buyer) a few hours later.

I decided to go ahead and ship it.  Sure enough, about a week after delivery, and just a couple of days ago, I got that note.  Turns out the buyer opened a case again, that they weren't the ones that bought it.  I was refunded my fees, and it was suggested that I try to cancel the shipment.   But, having been delivered a week prior, that wasn't going to happen.

It sucks because it was a FB that sold for $425. Yes, I have my money, but it was flat out stolen.  I'd rather have sold it to someone that was going to legitimately do something with it, then some lowlife that now has their paws on it. Considering they paid nothing for it, a quick for them will net them a pretty penny.  Meanwhile, all of us honest folk pay for it with higher interest rates, higher eBay and PayPal fees, etc.

• Like 4

Have a Technic set up for $270 + shipping.  Receive e-mail on Wednesday saying I'll give you $200 total.  I respectfully decline.

Today receive another e-mail from same ID saying similar line.  

It is clearly an international buyer shipping through a forwarder in Delaware.

What makes it even stranger...I took the time to look at person's feedback.  Only has 17 positives.  However, 4 of the 17 are very inflammatory against the buyer, but they are labelled positive???  Are that many people hitting the wrong button...

Have a Technic set up for $270 + shipping.  Receive e-mail on Wednesday saying I'll give you $200 total.  I respectfully decline.

What makes it even stranger...I took the time to look at person's feedback.  Only has 17 positives.  However, 4 of the 17 are very inflammatory against the buyer, but they are labelled positive???  Are that many people hitting the wrong button...

You can only leave positive feedback for a buyer so some sellers leave comments there hoping people will read the feedback and notice that even though it is marked positive it is clearly negative.

Yep^^ 

I'd block this buyer and save yourself the hassle of him actually buying something from you.

Edited by TheGallows
move

Just an FYI, eBay gets angry if you leave positive feedback with a negative comment like that, and much like Dr.Banner (or hxckid) you don't want to see eBay angry.

Yeah I am surprised the buyer hasn't had it removed yet. Maybe he hasn't noticed.

Just an FYI, eBay gets angry if you leave positive feedback with a negative comment like that, and much like Dr.Banner (or hxckid) you don't want to see eBay angry.

WTF? Is this a Chinese Democracy? Buyers can say what they like about me and the best I can do in response is to be silent and just pay Ebay their commissions??? Bring back negative feedback for buyers and end this craziness.

WTF? Is this a Chinese Democracy? Buyers can say what they like about me and the best I can do in response is to be silent and just pay Ebay their commissions??? Bring back negative feedback for buyers and end this craziness.

The biggest problem with that was feedback extortion. Every negative I got as a buyer was because I left a negative for the seller (and sometimes a neutral). The seller would then offer to remove both feedbacks. Eventually I stopped leaving negatives/neutrals all together.

I sold a BoFA for $200 last Xmas and a Cindy Castle for $200+ both while wildly available most places. Both paid, maybe I was on sending end of some drop shipping, maybe not. Both sales were from buyers with reasonable feedback and normal addresses. I figure I just got lucky and I was first on their search and didn't shop around at all

Couple of questions for those who are in the know. (Thought there was another forum for Ebay questions and couldn't find it)

1.  I sold $350 worth of JP sets on a Best Offer. Paid by Paypal and the shipping address was confirmed, but to a hotel in Long Island. The phone number was a 1-800 number that checked to an extended stay hotel in Orlando. I had some emails back and forth with the buyer, but was still unsure about this.

Called Ebay and they said I needed to ship, but suggested signature confirmation. Said I would be covered if I did all this. Will I get screwed on this??

2.  Will EBay honor a cancellation on your listing if you have "Will not ship to hotels" or "Will not sell to those with under 10 feedback" etc?

15 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Couple of questions for those who are in the know. (Thought there was another forum for Ebay questions and couldn't find it)

1.  I sold $350 worth of JP sets on a Best Offer. Paid by Paypal and the shipping address was confirmed, but to a hotel in Long Island. The phone number was a 1-800 number that checked to an extended stay hotel in Orlando. I had some emails back and forth with the buyer, but was still unsure about this.

Called Ebay and they said I needed to ship, but suggested signature confirmation. Said I would be covered if I did all this. Will I get screwed on this??

2.  Will EBay honor a cancellation on your listing if you have "Will not ship to hotels" or "Will not sell to those with under 10 feedback" etc?

Hotels do this all the time for guests so I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

As to your question #2 - no eBay will not honor it, especially the under 10 feedback. What if the person purchasing it was a hotel employee and they were shipping it to their work? I realize that's probably not the case here, but my question stands. I used to ship stuff to my work address all the time because someone was there to get it during business hours!

** Edit - signature confirmation isn't required because it's under the $750 threshold, but how much will it cost? Might be worth the peace of mind. **