Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

This isn't really a fruitcake nor fraudulent (as far as a seller goes). Shoot, might be one of us. I'm just curious how someone can legitimately obtain and sell so many promotional items:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-100-Lego-Star-Wars-Stormtrooper-Sergeant-5002938-Polybag-Minifigure-NEW-/221890007177?hash=item33a9acd089:g:WmUAAOSwQTVV~Ie9

Other listings are big quantities of monthly mini builds, which I doubt anyone, even paying kids off at the door, would get 100+ of them. It doesn't help the address is the same city as a LEGO store location. I just hope the store itself isn't being ripped off. I'm all for employee discounts, but sneaking home the goods is a different story. I can only imagine the unfortunate buyers in that area wondering why promos are sold out on day 1. :( 

I don't mean to step on toes if there's some tricks of the trade I'm not aware of, but I just don't see how this isn't questionable. Maybe I'm just jealous. :P If this guy isn't banned, I'm ordering 100 trains.

yes you really respectfully do not know what you are talking about and it is one of us

this guy is one of my best friends, he does everything by the book above reproach and he does not do stupid stuff

and at the end of the day what he purchases is still available for other people to purchase

• Like 3

Store employee, or spouse/friend of a store employee

i am going to another direction for this one. it has/was available in europe. so it may have crossed the water and reached us :)

i am pretty sure that item has not been a store promotion in US so there is no impropriety going on.

Edited by newbie77

yes you really respectfully do not know what you are talking about and it is one of us

this guy is one of my best friends, he does everything by the book above reproach and he does not do stupid stuff

and at the end of the day what he purchases is still available for other people to purchase

Agreed, Danish is good people. And if anyone thinks he is living the easy life, imagine him preparing Thanksgiving dinner for his 98 kids.

• Like 1

This isn't really a fruitcake nor fraudulent (as far as a seller goes). Shoot, might be one of us. I'm just curious how someone can legitimately obtain and sell so many promotional items:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-100-Lego-Star-Wars-Stormtrooper-Sergeant-5002938-Polybag-Minifigure-NEW-/221890007177?hash=item33a9acd089:g:WmUAAOSwQTVV~Ie9

Other listings are big quantities of monthly mini builds, which I doubt anyone, even paying kids off at the door, would get 100+ of them. It doesn't help the address is the same city as a LEGO store location. I just hope the store itself isn't being ripped off. I'm all for employee discounts, but sneaking home the goods is a different story. I can only imagine the unfortunate buyers in that area wondering why promos are sold out on day 1.  

I don't mean to step on toes if there's some tricks of the trade I'm not aware of, but I just don't see how this isn't questionable. Maybe I'm just jealous.  If this guy isn't banned, I'm ordering 100 trains.

Store employee, or spouse/friend of a store employee

Hysterical!

And this is why you can't assume...

You cannot buy "big quantities of monthly mini builds" anywhere. That particular promotional item may have been available in EU but I stand by my initial reaction to the post.

you've obviously never been to a discovery center.

It's very easy to do at Legoland, as well.  If you remember back in January, the AT-DP Polybag (30274) was available, and sold out within 3 days, I think.  In March, these showed up by the bucket full at Legoland California.  And I'm not kidding by bucket full.  They have these display "buckets" that have three tiers on them, by the registers.  They're all over The Big Shop (the biggest retail store), but they are spread throughout the park.

It was extremely easy to pick up that polybag by the 100s.

That's not the only time that has happened, though.  30283 Off-Road polybag was available for awhile at Legoland, as well, in a similar situation.  The Joker Bumper Car was there last month, too.  Same thing.  The Elves polybag was also the same way.  There are about 8 retail locations throughout the park, and they are all very well stocked.

Edited by Alpinemaps
  • Like 2

You have to have them change the address. When you edit you lose Seller protection.

Actually, I had a situation where the buyer purposely wrote a note "DO NOT SHIP..."  because they wanted to send it to someone as a gift, but they didn't have the exact address at the moment.  They didn't want to lose out on the BIN sale as it was a good price (as my stuff usually is).  Ebay customer service stated to me that as long as everything was communicated through the eBay email system I would be protected. Meaning the buyer would update me via email and I would manually correct the address.

However, the buyer came back to me with a Canadian address, to which I stated that my BIN sale was set for no international shipping and my flat rate was only for domestic shipping.  He was saying he would pay me the difference, but I was so annoyed at his delays for payment, his delays for his shipping update, and overall shenanigans I canceled the sale. 

Of course he was irate and bitter. He kept stating that I couldn't cancel without his consent. He did pay for the item, but since he didn't give a valid address I was able to cancel and refund his money without his consent.  

As expected, he gave me negative feedback, but I could care less.  I specifically blocked him from bidding on any more of my items.  I also reported him for threatening negative feedback and unreasonable demands which technically he did by definition according to the eBay rules.

I didn't care about the feedback.  I was just tired of being jerked around by him.

I immediately was able to sell it again to a very satisfied domestic buyer who did get a good deal.  No offense to any diecast collectors, but it seems a majority of the nutcase, abusive, and scummy stories that I hear are with die cast collectibles.

• Like 1

Actually, I had a situation where the buyer purposely wrote a note "DO NOT SHIP..."  because they wanted to send it to someone as a gift, but they didn't have the exact address at the moment.  They didn't want to lose out on the BIN sale as it was a good price (as my stuff usually is).  Ebay customer service stated to me that as long as everything was communicated through the eBay email system I would be protected. Meaning the buyer would update me via email and I would manually correct the address.

However, the buyer came back to me with a Canadian address, to which I stated that my BIN sale was set for no international shipping and my flat rate was only for domestic shipping.  He was saying he would pay me the difference, but I was so annoyed at his delays for payment, his delays for his shipping update, and overall shenanigans I canceled the sale. 

Of course he was irate and bitter. He kept stating that I couldn't cancel without his consent. He did pay for the item, but since he didn't give a valid address I was able to cancel and refund his money without his consent.  

As expected, he gave me negative feedback, but I could care less.  I specifically blocked him from bidding on any more of my items.  I also reported him for threatening negative feedback and unreasonable demands which technically he did by definition according to the eBay rules.

I didn't care about the feedback.  I was just tired of being jerked around by him.

I immediately was able to sell it again to a very satisfied domestic buyer who did get a good deal.  No offense to any diecast collectors, but it seems a majority of the nutcase, abusive, and scummy stories that I hear are with die cast collectibles.

If a buyer specifically threatens to leave you a negative unless you do as they ask you to, ebay will remove it, on request (feedback extortion).

Policy overview. Buyers: The buyer isn't allowed to threaten to use Feedback or detailed seller ratings in an attempt to force a seller into providing: Goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price. A return, refund, or replacement item.

If a buyer specifically threatens to leave you a negative unless you do as they ask you to, ebay will remove it, on request (feedback extortion).

Policy overview. Buyers: The buyer isn't allowed to threaten to use Feedback or detailed seller ratings in an attempt to force a seller into providing: Goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price. A return, refund, or replacement item.

Yeah, I did report him, but I didn't specificlly ask to have the feedback removed.  I have the emails to prove it.  Thanks, I'll contact customer service and see about it.

It's my first negative feedback ever.  I'm not a big buyer/seller, but I've always gone above and beyond on my pricing, packing, and shipping, so I always get very positive feedback.

Just goes to show you that you can be the best seller ever, but if you sell long enough you will eventually come across a nutcase that will give you negative feedback even when you don't really deserve it.

Edited by sharky1999
  • Like 1

You cannot buy "big quantities of monthly mini builds" anywhere. That particular promotional item may have been available in EU but I stand by my initial reaction to the post.

are you saying you know everything in lego secondary market? i know that you have a very high volume bricklink store. probably amongst few that have over million parts. you are active in brickset and other forums as well. but to tout as if "i know everything" is almost to the point of trying to bully and/or say everyone else is unethical except oneself. oneself, almightily is the one who rides the moral high ground and everyone else are unethical. also just because someone has access to higher volume of item that one cannot get access to does not necessarily mean that something "iffy" is happening. 

my name is "newbie" and the fact i chose that is even with time i may know something but there are so many aspect and point of view and ways business are conducted (i am learning by every interaction).

now going back to where all this started, logically its almost impossible to have "iffy source" and be able to get each and everything all the time. that "iffy" source will vanish. if one has been in market/secondary market long enough should be very well acquainted about this.

if one is able to do the volume the seller is doing there is a legitimate source to all his supply. 

one can be jealous about it or admire it and try to learn tricks-of the trade. afaik, the seller is a very high volume i can say for the fact much higher than anyone can particularly imagine. hence, i am pretty certain that sources all those items are acquired are very legitimate.

Edited by newbie77

Yeah, I did report him, but I didn't specificlly ask to have the feedback removed.  I have the emails to prove it.  Thanks, I'll contact customer service and see about it.

It's my first negative feedback ever.  I'm not a big buyer/seller, but I've always gone above and beyond on my pricing, packing, and shipping, so I always get very positive feedback.

Just goes to show you that you can be the best seller ever, but if you sell long enough you will eventually come across a nutcase that will give you negative feedback even when you don't really deserve it.

I can't see any reason why Ebay would not remove the negative feedback. Just call them and explain. It might take some days before they removed it.

Don't worry and do not loose any sleep.

I'm relieved to not know what I'm talking about in this case and am thankful for your response.
I would actually like to buy several of his items, but I couldn't help wondering how things were sold so cheap or at such high quantities, so I'm, again, thankful that you have and shared personal knowledge and apologize to your friend for bringing unnecessary attention. Or maybe this conversation will add free marketing. :P Works wonders for Trump.

Popped in to say, don't fear negative feedback everybody. I had one 10 years ago and 2 neutral recently. Here and there, neg feedback is par for the course. I used to stress about it. But then I think about my behavior as an eBay buyer. I look at patterns of bad feedback when I buy. Do the right thing enough and it puts any negative feedback in context.

Also, don't be pissy in response to neg feedback. That's a red flag for buyers more than the feedback itself.

• Like 1

are you saying you know everything in lego secondary market? i know that you have a very high volume bricklink store. probably amongst few that have over million parts. you are active in brickset and other forums as well. but to tout as if "i know everything" is almost to the point of trying to bully and/or say everyone else is unethical except oneself. oneself, almightily is the one who rides the moral high ground and everyone else are unethical. also just because someone has access to higher volume of item that one cannot get access to does not necessarily mean that something "iffy" is happening. 

my name is "newbie" and the fact i chose that is even with time i may know something but there are so many aspect and point of view and ways business are conducted (i am learning by every interaction).

now going back to where all this started, logically its almost impossible to have "iffy source" and be able to get each and everything all the time. that "iffy" source will vanish. if one has been in market/secondary market long enough should be very well acquainted about this.

if one is able to do the volume the seller is doing there is a legitimate source to all his supply. 

one can be jealous about it or admire it and try to learn tricks-of the trade. afaik, the seller is a very high volume i can say for the fact much higher than anyone can particularly imagine. hence, i am pretty certain that sources all those items are acquired are very legitimate.

Sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intent to come off as a know-it-all.  I agree that some sellers have worked hard to develop supply chains, and those sources aren't always "public" even if they are perfectly legitimate.  I've been lucky to find some of those sources myself, and I have visited Legoland many times.  I spoke without researching the seller mentioned in the OP, so I apologize.

• Like 2

Listed as "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item" 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEGO-Superheroes-76017-Captain-America-vs-Red-Skull-Hydra-Henchman-Set-/281828507227?hash=item419e49be5b:g:xsYAAOSw9mFWHo5K

Description:

Bidding on new set OPEN BOX. This set is incomplete missing ONLY captain America figure and shield. Figure has been replaced with an also NEW hydra henchman from the Lego Thor set! Comes with all you see pictured. 

Bag 1 opened for removal of cap. And shield bag 2 is unopened.  Sticker sheet intact. 

I really hope that isn't from someone on this site because that's ridiculous. 

Listed as "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item" 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEGO-Superheroes-76017-Captain-America-vs-Red-Skull-Hydra-Henchman-Set-/281828507227?hash=item419e49be5b:g:xsYAAOSw9mFWHo5K

Description:

Bidding on new set OPEN BOX. This set is incomplete missing ONLY captain America figure and shield. Figure has been replaced with an also NEW hydra henchman from the Lego Thor set! Comes with all you see pictured. 

Bag 1 opened for removal of cap. And shield bag 2 is unopened.  Sticker sheet intact. 

I really hope that isn't from someone on this site because that's ridiculous. 

I went to report it, but the auction is over with a best offer accepted.

Something weird happened this week. Bought a DVD for $6. Payed via EBay Android App/PayPal. When I wrote seller a week later to ask about shipment, she says I didn't pay and she had her settings to open up an unpaid item case which was now open. Item does not show as paid in EBay, but does show up in my PayPal activity. I call EBay, and they tell me to write seller and ask them to call PayPal as there is a "funding problem" with their PayPal account. First time I've experienced this kind of hangup on eBay.