Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Then they do a SNAD case and go through ebay

I usually list, "box has shelf wear" or "box may have minor damages". It's usually enough to put in your court. I have not lost a SNAD yet,

Always describe box damage, and make it sound worse than it is.  The 'I must have a perfect box!' type are seldom worth the hassle anyway.  One problem is that you simply cannot prevent all cosmetic damage in shipment, no matter how well you pack.  Ideally, folks who obsess over box condition would send me a message before buying so I could just block them.

• Like 3

Others have mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating: you do not need signature confirmation for either eBay or PayPal's seller protection policy so long as the total purchase amount, including tax and shipping, is under $750.

In addition to costing an additional $2.50 (more or less; I haven't purchased it in awhile) through USPS and not actually helping you win a case, signature confirmation actually causes problems by creating an extra hurdle to item delivery.  For example, if a buyer uses a business address and delivery would normally occur on a Saturday, it will be delayed at least until the following Monday.  If a buyer uses a residential address but everyone living there is at work or school during the day, the package will end up being held at a post office for pickup.

Some buyers simply do not understand how to pick up a package at the post office, and some post offices do not reliably scan parcels as delivered when they are picked up (as opposed to literally being delivered).  I was very, very happy when eBay and PayPal transitioned to the $750 threshold for requiring signature confirmation.

• Like 1

Always describe box damage, and make it sound worse than it is. ...  One problem is that you simply cannot prevent all cosmetic damage in shipment, no matter how well you pack....

I may have gone a bit overboard... When I sold a Death Star recently I included in the listing:  " ...Though it is hard to ship a 23 lb box like this and have it arrive in flawless, "museum quality" condition, this box looks great. The actual item you are purchasing is shown in the photos here.... It will be carefully packed and thoroughly bubble wrapped, however minor damage can still occur in shipping.  Returns will NOT be accepted for minor dents to the box, etc.  If the shipping carton appears significantly damaged, do not sign for it. Tell the delivery person you are refusing shipment because of the obvious damage, and your money will be refunded promptly, and in full."

Is that the correct direction to give? Or should I just delete the last two sentences?  I mean, if someone gets a "stomped on" box, and refuses it, I will have a solid case for reimbursement from the post office, won't I?  Or am I opening up another can of worms?

.... oh wait... I'm not supposed to require a signature... got it... but I could change it to, "...If the item arrives significantly damaged, do not open it... take it to the post office and refuse it..." etc?  Would that be wise?

Edited by Kenxxx

I have a quick question since Ebay says they are doing maintenance and can't answer phones right now.  If a seller wants to cancel an item(I'm the buyer) will I get my ebay bucks back?  I used about $40 on an item and now seller says it's out of stock.  It was buy it now, so not an auction where buyer didn't get what he was wanting out of the deal.

When a buyer starts asking for photos of your bubble wrap, it usually doesn't end well.

Whenever I get messages asking too many questions about condition, "is it in perfect condition?", "would you rate it a 10?", I politely decline to comment on what I think about the condition and try to add even more photos if possible.  My Spidey sense starts to tingle and I try my best to simply let the photos speak for themselves and let the buyer decide on their own.  I'll never rate a package or make any comment on condition other than it's new and unopened.  Sometimes I'll even discourage the buyer from buying as politely as I can.

I sell stuff to simply get rid of it and earn some extra spending money for other toys, so I try to be the lowest priced listing.  Also, I'm not going to ask top dollar if I know there any kind of defects on the package, and I'll price even lower than the lowest priced listing.  Basically, I try to under-promise and over-deliver.

• Like 1

Is there a way to configure your preferences or listings to offer returns but the buyer pays shipping?

You will always eat shipping on a SNAD.  They pay shipping on other returns.  You can put a 20% restocking fee in place and specify the buyer pays return shipping, but they will get a pre-paid shipping label for a SNAD case.

You will always eat shipping on a SNAD.  They pay shipping on other returns.  You can put a 20% restocking fee in place and specify the buyer pays return shipping, but they will get a pre-paid shipping label for a SNAD case.

Huh? I filed a SNAD case a few weeks ago and I won but I had to pay for return shipping.

I don't think this was a SNAD.  Buyer requested a return and I accepted.  Or is that a "SNAD" behind the scenes?

I don't think this was a SNAD.  Buyer requested a return and I accepted.  Or is that a "SNAD" behind the scenes?

They choose an option for why they want to return it.  Yes, if you look at the details it will probably show you it was filed as "not as described".  Based on the reading here, it pretty much outlines what I described above.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-process.html

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

So, while preparing a shipping label below the "ship to" & above the buyers address reads: "Invalid address. Click "Change" to revise it."

So, I send the buyer a message & I copy the address & include it with a message asking that they confirm the address. To my surprise the response is "It should be correct."

Well, at least that we both agree on...

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse

So, while preparing a shipping label below the "ship to" & above the buyers address reads: "Invalid address. Click "Change" to revise it."

So, I send the buyer a message & I copy the address & include it with a message asking that they confirm the address. To my surprise the response is "It should be correct."

Well, at least that we both agree on...

you'll get another message sometime soon saying "Sorry I had to go check . . . . "

It's not just a formatting problem? I'm constantly amazed at how many people don't know how to properly write out addresses.

Now that you mention it, they have something on there twice. Technically, I can't change it though & be protected, right? BTW, I've never seen this before & I've been doing eBay since 1999 & have had thousands of transactions...

Now that you mention it, they have something on there twice. Technically, I can't change it though & be protected, right? BTW, I've never seen this before & I've been doing eBay since 1999 & have had thousands of transactions...

I've never seen that either and I have no idea if you can correct and be protected. It was just a hunch based on changes PayPal has made in the last couple years to try and "correct" incorrect mailing addresses when you sign up but retroactively they can't just go a fixin' things in people's accounts. (or shouldn't).

I would email the buyer again and ask them to fix the address and call PayPal directly asap. Get it on file that you can't ship it!

• Like 1

This is good advice but does not work for auctions....The best thing we have found to avoid non paying bidders is to set up your buyer requirements most importantly choosing to only to sell to members with a paypal account....Also 2 days maybe the minimum to open a case I would recommend waiting 4 days and we always wait up to 1 week.

This isn't really a fruitcake nor fraudulent (as far as a seller goes). Shoot, might be one of us. I'm just curious how someone can legitimately obtain and sell so many promotional items:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-100-Lego-Star-Wars-Stormtrooper-Sergeant-5002938-Polybag-Minifigure-NEW-/221890007177?hash=item33a9acd089:g:WmUAAOSwQTVV~Ie9

Other listings are big quantities of monthly mini builds, which I doubt anyone, even paying kids off at the door, would get 100+ of them. It doesn't help the address is the same city as a LEGO store location. I just hope the store itself isn't being ripped off. I'm all for employee discounts, but sneaking home the goods is a different story. I can only imagine the unfortunate buyers in that area wondering why promos are sold out on day 1. :( 

I don't mean to step on toes if there's some tricks of the trade I'm not aware of, but I just don't see how this isn't questionable. Maybe I'm just jealous. :P If this guy isn't banned, I'm ordering 100 trains.

This isn't really a fruitcake nor fraudulent (as far as a seller goes). Shoot, might be one of us. I'm just curious how someone can legitimately obtain and sell so many promotional items:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-100-Lego-Star-Wars-Stormtrooper-Sergeant-5002938-Polybag-Minifigure-NEW-/221890007177?hash=item33a9acd089:g:WmUAAOSwQTVV~Ie9

Other listings are big quantities of monthly mini builds, which I doubt anyone, even paying kids off at the door, would get 100+ of them. It doesn't help the address is the same city as a LEGO store location. I just hope the store itself isn't being ripped off. I'm all for employee discounts, but sneaking home the goods is a different story. I can only imagine the unfortunate buyers in that area wondering why promos are sold out on day 1. :( 

I don't mean to step on toes if there's some tricks of the trade I'm not aware of, but I just don't see how this isn't questionable. Maybe I'm just jealous. :P If this guy isn't banned, I'm ordering 100 trains.

Store employee, or spouse/friend of a store employee