Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

So would the buyer have to pay the return shipping?

Truly honest buyer would have. If they know by heart that it's their own buyer remorse or mistakes (mis-read the listing, found lower price elsewhere), they will pay the return shipping instead of making up excuses.

My big-sale-saga continues (see my post from Oct 1 above)... I knew something seemed fishy... got a message from Paypal last week that the buyer (or maybe I should say, "the payer") opened a case: "Unauthorized Transaction" for their $550 purchase.  I suspect the credit card was stolen... the "buyer" actually gave me positive feedback on ebay. I promptly provided all info, but Paypal's canned message says that it is the credit card company that investigates this, that it could take 45 days, and that my money could be held up for that long.  But wait a minute... aren't I covered by Paypal "Seller Protection"?  According to the Paypal site:

"Seller Protection covers two particular types of buyer complaints: “Unauthorized Transaction”...There’s a transaction, but the account holder claims that he or she didn’t authorize payment....and “Item Not Received”... These complaints can affect your PayPal balance. But with Seller Protection, if the transaction meets our requirements, we’ll help keep your balance intact..."

I dotted all the i's and crossed my t's... shipped using approved carrier... insured it... signature required... everything.  Where's my "Seller Protection"?

My big-sale-saga continues (see my post from Oct 1 above)... I knew something seemed fishy... got a message from Paypal last week that the buyer (or maybe I should say, "the payer") opened a case: "Unauthorized Transaction" for their $550 purchase.  I suspect the credit card was stolen... the "buyer" actually gave me positive feedback on ebay. I promptly provided all info, but Paypal's canned message says that it is the credit card company that investigates this, that it could take 45 days, and that my money could be held up for that long.  But wait a minute... aren't I covered by Paypal "Seller Protection"?  According to the Paypal site:

"Seller Protection covers two particular types of buyer complaints: “Unauthorized Transaction”...There’s a transaction, but the account holder claims that he or she didn’t authorize payment....and “Item Not Received”... These complaints can affect your PayPal balance. But with Seller Protection, if the transaction meets our requirements, we’ll help keep your balance intact..."

I dotted all the i's and crossed my t's... shipped using approved carrier... insured it... signature required... everything.  Where's my "Seller Protection"?

Paypal just "protected" me in a case from 9/29, so it takes some time. Paypal gave me the same message about the credit card company, too, when I called customer service. Paypal tries to get their money first, and if they can't, they should still protect you.

I'm just pissed some a$$hat made off with a free Town Hall (in my case). Yes, I have my money, but it's the freakin' principle of the thing which burns me.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Without looking at your prior posts, did you submit the required info (tracking, etc) in paypal for the case? If you didn't, do it (even if yes, they should have it already). If you did enter the info already, you should call paypal to discuss it. It will expedite the situation, as they will confirm that you supplied the info, and are covered (if you don't call, it can drag on for a while).

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

Ken, I had this happen about 2 months ago when I sold a Helicopter Rescue on eBay for $80.  Although in my case the buyer claimed he did not receive it although the tracking confirmed it was delivered.  I called Paypal and after the Rep verified the tracking info, they released the funds back into my account since I did what I was supposed to.  Paypal had to follow up with the credit card company to try and dispute it.  After about 60 days, the credit card company was not satisfied with the justification so Paypal ate the cost.  Bottomline, I was covered either way.

I suggest you call Paypal to actually speak with someone to get your $550 released back to your account.  You are covered by their protection policy and should not be out your money while you wait for them to investigate.

• Like 1

Not eBay but amazon. got my first Neutral  feedback with "it was nice". it is a $14 set i sold to fulfill the selling quota. i have no idea what went wrong and it lower my overall rating. :hot:

That sucks. They probably don't understand the ramifications. I'd maybe check in & see if all was ok & if they said yes, I'd maybe request a feedback revision...

I just started selling stuff again on ebay after getting burned years ago. I'm starting with small stuff and some used Duplo, no other Lego yet. Anyway, I already have two non-paying buyers. I did have 2 others who finally paid about 4 or 5 days after the auction closed. I have sent these two a reminder message, but still nothing. It's been 8 days for one and 6 days for the other. These are small potatoes orders (less than $10 each).

My question is, when do you go ahead and open a non-paying bidder case? Do you have to worry about negative feedback?

I just started selling stuff again on ebay after getting burned years ago. I'm starting with small stuff and some used Duplo, no other Lego yet. Anyway, I already have two non-paying buyers. I did have 2 others who finally paid about 4 or 5 days after the auction closed. I have sent these two a reminder message, but still nothing. It's been 8 days for one and 6 days for the other. These are small potatoes orders (less than $10 each).

My question is, when do you go ahead and open a non-paying bidder case? Do you have to worry about negative feedback?

I open a non paying bidder case as soon as eBay lets me. I also avoid the issue in most cases by clicking the immediate pay button 

• Like 2

For me the question is why do ebay let this happen?

I mean its not hard to spot these listings, someone with 1 feedback sellng a 4.5k set. I saw another one last night 12 feedback, all from selling dvds at 30p, and now selling DS at @ £225. Oh yeah and he had 10 of them. I reported it, but ebay will still let the sales go ahead.

They really should toughen up on new sellers, and make it harder for this to happen.

For me the question is why do ebay let this happen?

I mean its not hard to spot these listings, someone with 1 feedback sellng a 4.5k set. I saw another one last night 12 feedback, all from selling dvds at 30p, and now selling DS at @ £225. Oh yeah and he had 10 of them. I reported it, but ebay will still let the sales go ahead.

They really should toughen up on new sellers, and make it harder for this to happen.

Yes, it is ultimately an ebay issue.

The problem for ebay is that if they could somehow stop every fraud, or questionably obtained item from being sold - it would really hurt.

Yes, it is ultimately an ebay issue.

The problem for ebay is that if they could somehow stop every fraud, or questionably obtained item from being sold - it would really hurt.

It can't be that hard, there's enough common factors in these scams for systems to be able to spot them before they get to the sold stage.

Buyer is coming around on the "damaged" Town Hall.  I don't think she wants to return it.  She said she might take the partial refund and just keep it.  Is that acceptable by eBay? Do I need to make here agree, via eBay messaging, that she will not return it?  Is there a way to issue a partial refund through eBay so its officially recorded as "settled"? Just trying to cover all my bases here.

I don't think she is a scammer.  Just a box snob that wanted the "perfect box" for her collection and I apparently let her down.  I'm happy to offer a discount that is comparable to market prices.  Dealing with buyers can be such a pain.  I'm ready to move on.

Buyer is coming around on the "damaged" Town Hall.  I don't think she wants to return it.  She said she might take the partial refund and just keep it.  Is that acceptable by eBay? Do I need to make here agree, via eBay messaging, that she will not return it?  Is there a way to issue a partial refund through eBay so its officially recorded as "settled"? Just trying to cover all my bases here.

I don't think she is a scammer.  Just a box snob that wanted the "perfect box" for her collection and I apparently let her down.  I'm happy to offer a discount that is comparable to market prices.  Dealing with buyers can be such a pain.  I'm ready to move on.

As far as I know, there is no way to mark "issues settled" unless there is a case opened.  You can detail the agreement on eBay message and have her agree to it, it would probably help you should there be a case opened down the road.  How much it helps would depend on eBay CS handling that case.

• Like 3