Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

yup, I do a lot of it.  If I have 100 or 200 of a polybag will accept a lower price if someone is buying a large amount. 

do you guys put any things like that in your item descriptions? I can see how that makes sense from a sellers perspective, but whenever I've encountered this as a buyer it immediately tells me that this is a person I don't want to do business with because I've never gotten an explanation along those lines. I have, however, been told that they don't want to accept anything less because they think they can get asking price - a few times. So my assumption has always been that these sellers think that somehow by me engaging with them that I am more likely to buy from them regardless of whether they are willing to negotiate. 

Edited by HappyHawkeye

do you guys put any things like that in your item descriptions? I can see how that makes sense from a sellers perspective, but whenever I've encountered this as a buyer it immediately tells me that this is a person I don't want to do business with because I've never gotten an explanation along those lines. I have, however, been told that they don't want to accept anything less because they think they can get asking price - a few times. So my assumption has always been that these sellers think that somehow by me engaging with them that I am more likely to buy from them regardless of whether they are willing to negotiate. 

on the volume ones I'll usually have an auto decline and auto accept as well.  That way the buyer is getting an answer on there offer as well. Just throwing out random numbers but in the ball park of 75% or less auto decline. 85% or more auto accept and anything that falls in between that range i manually do the offer and base it on the quantity being offered for.

Like i stated before its only done on high volume listings i have that my goal is to move quantity. 

I always answer offers though unless they are just stupidly low.  There is people that just offer $1 on purpose in hopes you get going and just click accept. Used to do all offers at one time and you get used to clicking accept 20 times in a row and then almost hit accept to a lowball one just out of repetition.

Had a buyer ask me to sell an Arctic Batman 76000 for $10 less than i have it listed, which would be %25 off and basically Canadian retail for the item. I inform him that my prices are firm and that due to the retail price of the item and ebay fees; even at $40 i'm not making all that much money.

He then comes back to me and says he will do me a "favour" and take it off my hands if i throw in a Joker Bumper car for free. I have the Bumper Car listed at $14 CAD, so he went from asking $10 off to $14 ????.

Funny thing is the name of their account sounds familiar, and i think they tried to haggle me down on stuff before.

Received my first chargeback ever today--and it was a dozy. $565 for a Town Hall. 

The buyer? 0 feeback... and had just created the account that day. I guess it serves me right, although I'm not sure what a guy is supposed to do with a new buyer. I've had plenty of 0 feedback buyers work out just fine (on cheaper items).

The claim? Unauthorized charge. I uploaded my Fedex shipping information (including signature proof of delivery) to Paypal and they're doing their thing. Not sure what happens next, but wow. BS. 

I feel like an idiot. If this is sided in favor of the a$$hat who scammed me, all my money is going to Amazon FBA. 

One used to be able to have the ability to block 0 feedback buyers, but these days I don'the see that option anymore.  I just started selling items again a few months ago after a few years off.

Ebay should at least give you that option for higher dollar BIN and high starting price auctions.

One used to be able to have the ability to block 0 feedback buyers, but these days I don'the see that option anymore.  I just started selling items again a few months ago after a few years off.

Ebay should at least give you that option for higher dollar BIN and high starting price auctions.

They stopped it when they started to allow guest checkouts... since guests have zero feedback.

Received my first chargeback ever today--and it was a dozy. $565 for a Town Hall. 

The buyer? 0 feeback... and had just created the account that day. I guess it serves me right, although I'm not sure what a guy is supposed to do with a new buyer. I've had plenty of 0 feedback buyers work out just fine (on cheaper items).

The claim? Unauthorized charge. I uploaded my Fedex shipping information (including signature proof of delivery) to Paypal and they're doing their thing. Not sure what happens next, but wow. BS. 

I feel like an idiot. If this is sided in favor of the a$$hat who scammed me, all my money is going to Amazon FBA. 

As others have mentioned - You'll be fine. I recall stressing over thinking "But what if ebay/paypal simply decides to change policy and not eat the loss?" - but it has never happened.

As long as sellers follow every guideline - At least regarding unauthorized charges, they should be fine.

On the other hand, if someone claims that you shipped them an empty box.....

Edited by KShine

I bought some LEGO sets from a seller on eBay with a lot of feedback 400k 99%. After several days of nothing and then a (now) bogus tracking number, I get a cancellation request stating "This case has been opened by the seller with the following reason: Buyer and I disagreed over terms." Looking at some of their feedback, my guess is they do a lot of drop shipping from Amazon. They never contacted prior to starting the cancellation or refunding my money, but the item had additional stock added with a higher price. My only real loss is the $20 off $100 coupon I used which has expired. Anyone have this happen to them before?

I bought some LEGO sets from a seller on eBay with a lot of feedback 400k 99%. After several days of nothing and then a (now) bogus tracking number, I get a cancellation request stating "This case has been opened by the seller with the following reason: Buyer and I disagreed over terms." Looking at some of their feedback, my guess is they do a lot of drop shipping from Amazon. They never contacted prior to starting the cancellation or refunding my money, but the item had additional stock added with a higher price. My only real loss is the $20 off $100 coupon I used which has expired. Anyone have this happen to them before?

You can decline to accept the cancellation and ask eBay to "step in" after a few days. You can demand that the eBay regenerate the coupon for you based on the seller clearly selling something they didn't have (they fraudulently enticed you to purchase and use your coupon). Not sure if eBay will do it, but worth a shot.

You can decline to accept the cancellation and ask eBay to "step in" after a few days. You can demand that the eBay regenerate the coupon for you based on the seller clearly selling something they didn't have (they fraudulently enticed you to purchase and use your coupon). Not sure if eBay will do it, but worth a shot.

yeah I would definitely raise hell with eBay, thats a grade A **** move on his part 

Please don't let the seller get away with this nonsense without consequence.  I'd report the seller to eBay for the fake tracking number and the fraudulent cancellation reason.  And give the seller negative feedback.  I'm guessing that eBay will re-issue you a coupon, and I'm interested to know if they do or not.

Edited by Jackson

OK... still holding on to hope that the 10188 DS I shipped last week actually went to a bonafide buyer and everything is going to work out OK... but... it just seems odd:

Thursday: got word from ebay I got a sale on my BIN 10188, but buyer didn't make instant payment (stupid ebay selling form... I forgot to tick that box).  I was a little bummed... IIRC the buyer's address was in California (expensive shipping for me).

Saturday morning: buyer made payment; got ebay "SHIP NOW" notification... but now ship to address was in Georgia. hmmm?  Well, it says "eligible for seller protection" so... ok I guess.  Shipped it out that day (insured, signature required... just like it said in my listing).

Monday: USPS makes delivery attempt, but "No Authorized Recipent Available".

Now Thursday... still no one has picked it up at the post office.  I wonder if I'll be seeing my old DS again soon.  Also a red flag for me... I don't want to reveal usernames, so many different names makes my spidey-sense tingle.  Anyone care to speculate on what might happen next?  What if they never pick it up? Sure the post office sends it back... what does ebay do?  What does Paypal do?  What do I do?

Anyone care to speculate on what might happen next?  What if they never pick it up? Sure the post office sends it back... what does ebay do?  What does Paypal do?  What do I do?

Your customer will have 2 weeks from the day of the first delivery attempt to pick up the item from their local post office. If they don't pick it up it will be mailed back to you and when you receive it you will have to refund the buyer and ebay will refund you the selling fees. On ebay I make sure not to require a signature unless the order total is > $750. Below $750 paypal takes all of the risk so why spend the extra money out of your pocket to help them out? 

... On ebay I make sure not to require a signature unless the order total is > $750. Below $750 paypal takes all of the risk ...

Good to know.  Thanks!  Well, the buyer got their package a couple days ago, and gave me a positive feedback, so I'm resting a little easier.  Probably worried about nothing... as usual... I tend to freakout a little bit whenever I sell anything over $250... I don't know how you guys do it.  Maybe I'll relax a bit ...with time.

Good to know.  Thanks!  Well, the buyer got their package a couple days ago, and gave me a positive feedback, so I'm resting a little easier.  Probably worried about nothing... as usual... I tend to freakout a little bit whenever I sell anything over $250... I don't know how you guys do it.  Maybe I'll relax a bit ...with time.

moonshine.

• Like 3

It's like anything else, the more you do it the more numb you get...

Once again, eBay is THE fruitcake...I tried to report the seller for this listing but CS has no idea what I'm talking about...331670715099

This one is even worse- same seller.

Seller now has nothing for sale even thought they had lots of other listings...

Edited by dcdfan

So, a couple of months ago, a 0-feedback buyer from Oregon buys 2 sets of Bricktober modulars. Awesome!
I shipped them out, and a week or two later, I receive a Suspicious Buyer email that refunded my listing fees. Not cool.
I had already shipped and no money was taken back by PayPal, but the buyer is no longer an active eBay account.

Today, I get a new sale from another 0-feedback account with the exact same shipping address.
Both accounts are Chinese names, but different names and different eBay accounts, email, etc.

I'm fairly sure there's some kinda fraud going on and this will most likely end up the same, but I'm told "OK to ship."
I'm not really worried about losing money but more that I don't like the feeling I'm supplying a scammer even though it's not my fault.
I wish you could block by address, city or something if they just generate new eBay accounts.

Have you checked out the address in Oregon?  It might be a shipping forwarding company.

Last month, I had a buyer buy from me, and then immediately ask to cancel the order (they didn't pay, I had forgotten to check the "Pay Immediately" BIN check box).  It was going to be shipping to an office front in Oregon (I checked Google Street View).

I cancelled and then relisted the item, and hit the check box.  A few hours later, the item is purchased again, from a different buyer, but also going to that same address.  Both buyers were using Chinese characters in their name.

It's a risk, but not much we can do about it on eBay.  I went and shipped the item, and I'm hoping that it will all turn out okay.

Have you checked out the address in Oregon?  It might be a shipping forwarding company.

Last month, I had a buyer buy from me, and then immediately ask to cancel the order (they didn't pay, I had forgotten to check the "Pay Immediately" BIN check box).  It was going to be shipping to an office front in Oregon (I checked Google Street View).

I cancelled and then relisted the item, and hit the check box.  A few hours later, the item is purchased again, from a different buyer, but also going to that same address.  Both buyers were using Chinese characters in their name.

It's a risk, but not much we can do about it on eBay.  I went and shipped the item, and I'm hoping that it will all turn out okay.

I think it is indeed some kind of delivery service at that location. I don't see why they have to legitimately create new accounts, but...(continued below)

Yeah, they should have a different box / routing / some kind of number that is different for each buyer, even though the address is the same.

I do not, cannot, and will not care what people do with the items they bought from me though, I have more than enough white hair already

...I think I'll go with D_R here and not lose sleep over what happens with my sales once I do my part.

• Like 1