Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

You're missing the opportunity.  

Meet them, up sell them, or at least give them a card so if they’re looking for anything else (near Christmas) then they can give you a call. Cultivate local customers.  

Edited by feed
  • Like 1

Just wondering what people would do here. I've sold a mixel for a few quid on ebay to someone in my country and they've requested to collect it. I don't want to be having to take the time to meet up with people for things as small as mixels or minifigures, I didn't think I'd have to do it for ebay at all. Is it reasonable to say I don't do collections, or is that going to lead to negative feedback?

It always takes allot more time to meet someone than it seems it worth it, but as mentioned it sometimes is an opportunity to network a bit & maybe gain a new client.  What you can do is simply arrange to meet someplace you're going to be anyway (gas station, grocery store etc.) where a few more minutes don't matter.   

alternatively you can always say you can't do local pickups as you don't carry the liability insurance for meeting people at your house.

Just wondering what people would do here. I've sold a mixel for a few quid on ebay to someone in my country and they've requested to collect it. I don't want to be having to take the time to meet up with people for things as small as mixels or minifigures, I didn't think I'd have to do it for ebay at all. Is it reasonable to say I don't do collections, or is that going to lead to negative feedback?

It's reasonable to not want to meet up, and also reasonable for the buyer to request to pick it up. 

Personally, I would, as suggested, pick a time and place where it will be at your convenience... let them know your time is limited and that is the only option in the near future. Then they can decide.

Otherwise, I personally think this whole idea of feedback being held hostage is overblown, but if it does happen, a chat with eBay CS would likely remedy the problem assuming you do NOT have local pickup as an option. However, the time spent doing this would be greater than the 5-10 minutes required to meet someone.

Also, if this IS the type of buyer who abuses feedback, it is even more reason not to give in to demands, in my mind. Paranoid sellers are the enablers in that sick game. Of course we are way ahead of the situation since you apparently have received no such indication as of yet.

Edited by Grynn

If local pickup is an option in your listing then it is reasonable for the buyer to request it.  Refusal to meet is a reasonable reason for negative feedback (again, assuming it is one of the delivery options in your listing).

On the other hand, if  local pickup is not an option to begin with, then you are not obligated to do it.

I can't see an option for local pick up anywhere. Just reviewed the listing and there's no mention of pick up anywhere.

There are payment options you can choose. Like Paypal, bank transfer, nachname and cash payment at pick up. Check if you have disabled or enabled the "cash payment at pick up option". If you have disabled it you are just fine with rejecting pick up. If you have enabled the option you should call ebay for advice. 

I know grading is subjective but I have always considered shelf wear to be minor abrasions and scuffs...not creases and crushed corners.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Architecture-Fallingwater-21005-RETIRED-with-shelf-wear-READY-TO-SHIP-/171911056418?hash=item2806b28c22.  

that's pretty average shelf wear for b&n unfortunately :( 

Sell those mugs on Ebay.  The ones with cities sell really well.  Then on the Starbucks Mug Investing Website they can have a "Crazy Ebay" thread where they talk about the sweet deal they got on mugs but they smelled like cat pee.  Full circle.

(Not kidding about those mugs...I sold some I got at a garage sale and made over a hundred dollars - total, not each.  Bought like 10 of them).

Sell those mugs on Ebay.  The ones with cities sell really well.  Then on the Starbucks Mug Investing Website they can have a "Crazy Ebay" thread where they talk about the sweet deal they got on mugs but they smelled like cat pee.  Full circle.

(Not kidding about those mugs...I sold some I got at a garage sale and made over a hundred dollars - total, not each.  Bought like 10 of them).

Yeah...It's crazy what some of the Cities mugs are going for.  Just a dozen mugs I picked up in Ho Chi Minh last year...we will see.

I bought a TV pedestal stand back in June but returned it because they sent me one that's for another TV model (incompatible with mine). And today I got this message 

Hello, I see that you have returned a TV part. After further testing of the part, we found it to be working properly. We have issued you a full refund. Unfortunately, eBay is still counting your transaction defect against us, thus preventing us from listing more items on our eBay store. If you could please follow up with response confirming the part was most likely working or you have a different issue with your tv, I would greatly appreciate it so eBay can remove this bad mark from my account. Thank you very much for your business and assistance in resolving this debilitating issue.

What would you do?

I bought a TV pedestal stand back in June but returned it because they sent me one that's for another TV model (incompatible with mine). And today I got this message 

Hello, I see that you have returned a TV part. After further testing of the part, we found it to be working properly. We have issued you a full refund. Unfortunately, eBay is still counting your transaction defect against us, thus preventing us from listing more items on our eBay store. If you could please follow up with response confirming the part was most likely working or you have a different issue with your tv, I would greatly appreciate it so eBay can remove this bad mark from my account. Thank you very much for your business and assistance in resolving this debilitating issue.

What would you do?

Be honest and tell them you can't confirm it worked properly as you were never sent the correct part.

I'd leave the bad mark unless they sent you the right one.

Everyone (as in 100%) I have met for local pickup has left me great feedback. IMO you are more likely to receive feedback than from shipping.

What would you do?

Reply and help them out because it didn't fit your TV and it was an honest mistake. I would want the same courtesy if I were the seller.

• Like 2

I didn't leave a feedback and I already got a refund. But he still got the transaction defect due to the return.

Ahh, I misunderstood what you meant by defect. I agree that if they issued you the refund and dealt with it straight up then I'd help them out and leave positive feedback.

Everyone (as in 100%) I have met for local pickup has left me great feedback. IMO you are more likely to receive feedback than from shipping.

I ended up offering the chance to pick it up, but they couldn't, so for me that's a win win, I gave them the option when I didn't need to, but it wasn't my fault when they couldn't collect.

I'm running at not far off 100% feedback anyway. The weird thing is the only people who haven't left me feedback are my fellow countrymen, w##kers :lol:

• Like 1