Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Won this auction at a great price because the seller didn't remember to put the actual number of blind bags in his description. There was 60 of them (won at $88 free shipping). I sent him a question and he answered it without posting it to his auction.

Anyways, I paid right away and he refunded my payment within an hour. I messaged him asking him why he refunded my payment with no response. I knew the reason why but I wanted him to say it. I tried looking for a way in eBay to "force" him to honor my winning bid, but I couldn't find anything. Needless to say, I left him negative feedback. That was the only thing I could do, right? That was so frustrating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Minifigure-Series-12-13-Lot-Random-New-Minifigures-Lots-Mint-/301711887956?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=pMvDB68Ru4rzeNg0TZAQFWWjPw4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I'm partial to buying things when they are sprawled all over someone's bed too.  :jester:Too bad it didn't work out, but this seller sure appears shady.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

He's received 9 negatives this year (4 this month). I think you got off lucky. A lot better to get your money back right away then after he screws you some other way...

You took a chance on someone with 90% positive on 90 feedback score (BEFORE your neg).  People often say the feedback rating is useless, but in this case it is working as designed

I did take into account the negative feedback before bidding, but I decided to pay with my AMEX just in case. I figured if it didn't work out, I would call AMEX to have them reverse the charge.

I'm partial to buying things when they are sprawled all over someone's bed too.  :jester:Too bad it didn't work out, but this seller sure appears shady.

I thought the pic was going to work to my advantage! haha  I'm a little bummed that it didn't work out, but I guess I'm glad as it could've been worse and I would have to spend some time calling AMEX to have them reverse the charge.

• Like 1

I did take into account the negative feedback before bidding, but I decided to pay with my AMEX just in case. I figured if it didn't work out, I would call AMEX to have them reverse the charge.

I thought the pic was going to work to my advantage! haha  I'm a little bummed that it didn't work out, but I guess I'm glad as it could've been worse and I would have to spend some time calling AMEX to have them reverse the charge.

Looks like he got 194.00 for a similar order a week or so later. 

You know what...make fun all you want, but when my original Ronnie Greatrex painting is woth brazilions of dollars who's laughing then?

Ronnie Greatrex, that's who.

You know what...I take it back.  More power to this guy.  His art seems odd to me but whatever...dude is happy making his art and he DOES sell it, so good for him.

• Like 1

Anyone else get one of these message?  How did you respond?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxxxxx,

Hi, I am a retired 100% permanent disabled military veteran & use Lego for physical therapy. I volunteer running a group of other disabled veterans using Lego for their PT. This program was funded by my settlement back-pay & has dried up. To keep it going, we rely on the generous eBay community

Which brings me to why I am writing you. I humbly ask if you would consider donating your auction to the program & I would pay shipping if need be.

The program is called The CODA Initiative (Can-do Opportunities for Disabled Americans).

If you chose to donate, including any minifigs or box, should they be part of the auction, is at your discretion. Loose bricks are desperately needed as well.

I can provide MY paperwork as credibility. We follow strict patient HIPA policy & we have a strict-no resell-policy. I am more than happy to go into more details & hope this opens dialogue between us.
TYVM!
xxxx

Note: Feedback reflects donations as full priced sales. Don t know why.

- xxxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxxxxx,

Hi, I am a retired 100% permanent disabled military veteran & use Lego for physical therapy. I volunteer running a group of other disabled veterans using Lego for their PT. This program was funded by my settlement back-pay & has dried up. To keep it going, we rely on the generous eBay community

Which brings me to why I am writing you. I humbly ask if you would consider donating your auction to the program & I would pay shipping if need be.

The program is called The CODA Initiative (Can-do Opportunities for Disabled Americans).

If you chose to donate, including any minifigs or box, should they be part of the auction, is at your discretion. Loose bricks are desperately needed as well.

I can provide MY paperwork as credibility. We follow strict patient HIPA policy & we have a strict-no resell-policy. I am more than happy to go into more details & hope this opens dialogue between us.
TYVM!
xxxx

- xxxx

Yes, I've seen this before.  "Contact Wal-Mart, they have a charity program for Veterans that will suit your needs."

• Like 3

Dear xxxxxxx,

TYVM!
xxxx

- xxxx

I got a similar one not too long ago. I just ignored and then blocked them.

• Like 1

I shipped out two smaller items in the past week that had slight issues.  One person was great to deal with, one is a potential fruitcake - see if you can guess which buyer is which.

1 - A new in sealed box arrived and was missing a piece.  The buyer asked about the missing piece and I explained that I would ship one if I had it and it turns out that I did. 

2 - A used set was missing a piece, probably due to a packing error.  The buyer asked about the missing piece and explained that if I didn't resolve it then I would receive neutral feedback. 

Sigh, at least give me a chance to correct it before you threaten to hold my feedback hostage.

• Like 2

I shipped out two smaller items in the past week that had slight issues.  One person was great to deal with, one is a potential fruitcake - see if you can guess which buyer is which.

1 - A new in sealed box arrived and was missing a piece.  The buyer asked about the missing piece and I explained that I would ship one if I had it and it turns out that I did. 

>>>> great to deal with :) . very interesting that NISB set is missing a piece. that's not very common though.

2 - A used set was missing a piece, probably due to a packing error.  The buyer asked about the missing piece and explained that if I didn't resolve it then I would receive neutral feedback. 

>>>> fruitcake.. :) yup i hate when people try to extort 

Sigh, at least give me a chance to correct it before you threaten to hold my feedback hostage.

So, sometimes I check other listing to see how competitive my prices are...I notice this guy is neck & neck with me on a couple of my items. I'm used to seeing some of the same items from sellers but this guys pics look very similar to mine. So, I click all of the pics on the same items that I'm also selling. Wait for it...Yup, my pics. No worries. So, I read his text next & what do you think I find? Wait for it...Yup, my text. I check more of his listings & see the seller is in Korea! How exactly is he able to offer free shipping from Korea to the U.S.? I'm guessing with my unwitting assistance. Well, my friend, you have been blocked...

• Like 1

Part of me thinks you should have waited for your next sale and looked to see if he sold it too.. Then ship the wrong one and let him deal with it.

Reporting each one and blocking is a nice touch though.

Wouldn't he be the buyer from me & get to leave a negative for me, no?

Edited by dcdfan

OK. He's borrowed my art & text. In most cases, he's cheaper than me. I'm guessing something's not copacetic. Just because I don't understand the scam doesn't mean there isn't one. If you can enlighten me as to what his possible legit angle is, I'll completely listen because he currently doesn't have clean hands...

OK. He's borrowed my art & text. In most cases, he's cheaper than me. I'm guessing something's not copacetic. Just because I don't understand the scam doesn't mean there isn't one. If you can enlighten me as to what his possible legit angle is, I'll completely listen because he currently doesn't have clean hands...

He can buy your stuff with a stolen credit card.

He could leave negative feedback but the problem is he could never prove it. Even if the buyer returns it, he then has to pay to return it to you.

Like I said, part of me thinks it would be worth the risk but not all. :)

He can buy your stuff with a stolen credit card.

He could leave negative feedback but the problem is he could never prove it. Even if the buyer returns it, he then has to pay to return it to you.

Like I said, part of me thinks it would be worth the risk but not all. :)

So, sometimes I check other listing to see how competitive my prices are...I notice this guy is neck & neck with me on a couple of my items. I'm used to seeing some of the same items from sellers but this guys pics look very similar to mine. So, I click all of the pics on the same items that I'm also selling. Wait for it...Yup, my pics. No worries. So, I read his text next & what do you think I find? Wait for it...Yup, my text. I check more of his listings & see the seller is in Korea! How exactly is he able to offer free shipping from Korea to the U.S.? I'm guessing with my unwitting assistance. Well, my friend, you have been blocked...

I am guessing the seller is not intending to buy from your or fulfill any orders. You just happened to be the listings he copied to scam ebay buyers, Happens all the time.

• Like 1

Just wondering what people would do here. I've sold a mixel for a few quid on ebay to someone in my country and they've requested to collect it. I don't want to be having to take the time to meet up with people for things as small as mixels or minifigures, I didn't think I'd have to do it for ebay at all. Is it reasonable to say I don't do collections, or is that going to lead to negative feedback?