Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I buy a LEGO 75002 on ebay for my personal collection. I'm happy with the purchase price. It arrives quickly. I open the box and it's a 75022 Mandolorian Speeder instead. Thinking that maybe this poor seller got packages mixed up, I sent a message. I don't get a response for several days. Finally I initiate a return, print the prepaid ebay return label, and send this set back to the seller two days ago....

I get a message today, apologizing about the delay in response and telling me to keep the set I have and she'd give me a refund. I explain that I'd already sent the package back to her two days ago....

An hour later she writes back and says she'd check Paypal regarding the refund status.....

A few minutes later, I get another follow up email saying that her PAYPAL account is "wiped clean" and she doesn't have the funds to give me a refund. She then asks me to describe the item I purchased so she could look for it, but she doesn't think she has it......

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse

had to give you a "like", not because i liked your predicament. but rather you have found one of the worse sellers out there.  kind of hard to be worse with out being a scammer

Someone submitted an offer for a set on 8/21.  I agreed to the price on 8/22.  After a couple days I sent them a payment reminder.  They gave me some excuse about the listing was expired and they found the item elsewhere (cheaper, I presume).  She apologized for the inconvenience and her feedback rating is good (94 / 100%) so I don't suspect foul play, most likely just a shopper who second guessed her offer price.  I emailed her back asking her to please submit a cancel a request on her end.  I sent her instructions on how to do so.  Tonight she emails me back with a screenshot of an eBay customer service response (she called) stating that I need to cancel it from my end because a buyer can only cancel an order within an hour of the purchase.  The Instructions say to go to More Actions > Cancel an Order > Buyer asked to cancel the order.  Is that right?

I want to avoid any sort of sneaky negative feedback or a ding to my seller scores.  What's the appropriate way to handle this?  Follow these instructions?  Looking for some advice from the eBay pros.  Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes, I made it back on eBay and doing well.  That fiasco from last year is behind me.  Laying low for now but I have made some surprisingly good sales.

I'm not nearly as paranoid and judgmental as some others on here, but I have yet to have a problem on eBay I couldn't resolve. The USPS, however, is another story.

Anyway, it all sounds legit to me. I've cancelled several orders exactly as you describe because the buyer didn't want to follow through for whatever reason. I would wager a fair amount that she will accept the cancellation and you can both go about your merry ways with no feedback on either end. Good luck!

Someone submitted an offer for a set on 8/21.  I agreed to the price on 8/22.  After a couple days I sent them a payment reminder.  They gave me some excuse about the listing was expired and they found the item elsewhere (cheaper, I presume).  She apologized for the inconvenience and her feedback rating is good (94 / 100%) so I don't suspect foul play, most likely just a shopper who second guessed her offer price.  I emailed her back asking her to please submit a cancel a request on her end.  I sent her instructions on how to do so.  Tonight she emails me back with a screenshot of an eBay customer service response (she called) stating that I need to cancel it from my end because a buyer can only cancel an order within an hour of the purchase.  The Instructions say to go to More Actions > Cancel an Order > Buyer asked to cancel the order.  Is that right?

I want to avoid any sort of sneaky negative feedback or a ding to my seller scores.  What's the appropriate way to handle this?  Follow these instructions?  Looking for some advice from the eBay pros.  Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes, I made it back on eBay and doing well.  That fiasco from last year is behind me.  Laying low for now but I have made some surprisingly good sales.

cancel the sale stating the buyer asked you to. Assuming all communication was through eBay if the leave a neg eBay will remove it. 

• Like 3

cancel the sale stating the buyer asked you to. Assuming all communication was through eBay if the leave a neg eBay will remove it. 

Exactly what Migration said. Cancel the listing, making sure to select that the buyer asked to cancel. If the buyer decides to leave negative feedback, call eBay and ask them to look at the message from the buyer requesting to cancel the transaction. They will then remove the negative for you.

eBay buyers can only request a cancellation about an hour after purchase. Beyond that time, the option goes away and they have to contact the seller to cancel it for them.

I have cancelled around 5 listings for buyers that requested to cancel (latest one was 2 days ago) and have never received a defect against my seller performance ratings. On eBay sellers are not penalized for canceling a transaction at the request of a buyer. Amazon, on the other hand, will if the buyer doesn't initiate the cancellation process.

• Like 1

I have been monitoring a couple comics on ebay and came across a seller who had several good graded comics.  He used auctions for all of them and most sold for well below what they were going for.  I checked back and he relisted all of them.  So he basically didn't adhere to ebay "a sale is a contract".  He has only received 1 negative so far but how can he still be selling on ebay?

I have been monitoring a couple comics on ebay and came across a seller who had several good graded comics.  He used auctions for all of them and most sold for well below what they were going for.  I checked back and he relisted all of them.  So he basically didn't adhere to ebay "a sale is a contract".  He has only received 1 negative so far but how can he still be selling on ebay?

Is it possible he was also the winner...?

Maybe the same case now the eBay allows buyers not honor their bids or orders? And even returns with buyer-remorse reasons?

Would it still be called an auction site if bids could be regretted and cancelled? But truth is I don't know if eBay put a bad record on a buyer if he/she cancel an order.

Won this auction at a great price because the seller didn't remember to put the actual number of blind bags in his description. There was 60 of them (won at $88 free shipping). I sent him a question and he answered it without posting it to his auction.

Anyways, I paid right away and he refunded my payment within an hour. I messaged him asking him why he refunded my payment with no response. I knew the reason why but I wanted him to say it. I tried looking for a way in eBay to "force" him to honor my winning bid, but I couldn't find anything. Needless to say, I left him negative feedback. That was the only thing I could do, right? That was so frustrating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Minifigure-Series-12-13-Lot-Random-New-Minifigures-Lots-Mint-/301711887956?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=pMvDB68Ru4rzeNg0TZAQFWWjPw4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Won this auction at a great price because the seller didn't remember to put the actual number of blind bags in his description. There was 60 of them (won at $88 free shipping). I sent him a question and he answered it without posting it to his auction.

Anyways, I paid right away and he refunded my payment within an hour. I messaged him asking him why he refunded my payment with no response. I knew the reason why but I wanted him to say it. I tried looking for a way in eBay to "force" him to honor my winning bid, but I couldn't find anything. Needless to say, I left him negative feedback. That was the only thing I could do, right? That was so frustrating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Minifigure-Series-12-13-Lot-Random-New-Minifigures-Lots-Mint-/301711887956?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=pMvDB68Ru4rzeNg0TZAQFWWjPw4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

He's received 9 negatives this year (4 this month). I think you got off lucky. A lot better to get your money back right away then after he screws you some other way...

• Like 1

You took a chance on someone with 90% positive on 90 feedback score (BEFORE your neg).  People often say the feedback rating is useless, but in this case it is working as designed

• Like 3