Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

'About 30lbs' sounds like the seller might just have looked at it and thought...'well, looks about 30lbs there', and not even weighed it at all. If you receive everything that's shown in the images, and didn't contact the seller for a more exact weight, I'm not sure there's much grounds to complain.

This makes complete sense. I went back & looked at their other items & they sell random items so they probably did just guess...They might be bringing stuff to the post office & not weighing it on their own (in advance)...

Edited by dcdfan

Issue:  I found this auction on eBay.

I also found their business website which had the same listing so it was being sold in two different locations.  I bought the lot from their website for less than the ebay listing.

The lot should arrive today.  However the UPS shipping weight is 24 lbs where the listing states it is approximately 30 lbs?

Huge difference considering a 1lb or two in shipping/packing materials.

Question: Any ideas on how to form an email to address the weight discrepancy?

Thank you for any advice provided.

Update:  The vintage lot came in.  Weighed 20lb 12.4 oz.  I emailed the seller and presented my argument.

I initially asked for $69 off the lot price.  He came back to saying he weighed the lot on his bathroom scale.

We agreed to split the diff of his first offer of $50 and my request of 69.  I ended up with $59 off, so the lot only cost me $191.

As for the lot all vintage,looks like a near complete 6080, 6085, 6074, 6274, blacktron 6954, possible police station of the same era,space shuttle and more I havehave yet to identify.  Some classic space is also in there.

Aside from the general dust and dirtiness, I am very pleased.  Based on the photos it was great guess on the content of the lot

After cleaning and pulling sets ugh, I hope to clear 4-6 times my money. Not accounting for the hours and hours of work ahead.

• Like 2

Update:  The vintage lot came in.  Weighed 20lb 12.4 oz.  I emailed the seller and presented my argument.

I initially asked for $69 off the lot price.  He came back to saying he weighed the lot on his bathroom scale.

We agreed to split the diff of his first offer of $50 and my request of 69.  I ended up with $59 off, so the lot only cost me $191.

As for the lot all vintage,looks like a near complete 6080, 6085, 6074, 6274, blacktron 6954, possible police station of the same era,space shuttle and more I havehave yet to identify.  Some classic space is also in there.

Aside from the general dust and dirtiness, I am very pleased.  Based on the photos it was great guess on the content of the lot

After cleaning and pulling sets ugh, I hope to clear 4-6 times my money. Not accounting for the hours and hours of work ahead.

When a seller basically states that they are guesstimating as to the weight or completeness (which they were), and I could clear 4-6 times my money - I usually stop squeezing.

Something to watch out for.  This happened to me a few weeks ago.  Ebay listing $400 target gift card (for mail delivery) for $359 buy it now.  Seller had a 1200 feedback score, 99% positive, active seller over the past year, and not one negative in the last 6 months.  So I bought.  Listing was long and wordy, talked about how he is often out of town and can't ship out immediately, expect up to 5 business days before he can ship. Sure enough, it goes 5 business days, then seller prints out mailing label on 6th day.  But tracking says post office does not receive it for a day... then 2... then 3... I try to contact the seller, no response.  After about ten days since placing my order, and still no record of post office having it hand, I try to open a case, but ebay system won't let me because seller has cleverly set delivery date out another week or so.  So I continue to wait. In the mean time, about 4 negative feedbacks show up on the seller's profile... all with the same story as me:  $300 - $400 Target gift cards, fake tracking numbers, nothing shipped.  Finally got the case opened, and shut, but it was about 4 weeks to get my money back.  The seller now has 8 negative feedbacks - all with the same story.  I don't know if they had their account hacked or if they just turned bad.  Just something to watch out for.  I didn't know it before - if you look at Target gift cards sold on ebay... most go for pretty close to face value... maybe 1% or 2% off... people often pay more than face value (can't understand why)... if you see a $300 or $400 Target giftcard at 10% off or more... particularly if the seller has a long story about how they might not ship it out immediately, it's probably a scam.

First for me on ebay.  I asked a seller the condition of a comic.  Their response was to look at the scans.  I asked sometimes it is hard to ascertain condition just by picks and if there are any bends or other blemishes.  Their response "Please do not bid on it. Not for you".  Nothing like standing by your product and customer support.  

• Like 1

First for me on ebay.  I asked a seller the condition of a comic.  Their response was to look at the scans.  I asked sometimes it is hard to ascertain condition just by picks and if there are any bends or other blemishes.  Their response "Please do not bid on it. Not for you".  Nothing like standing by your product and customer support.  

Picture in your mind the comic book store owner from the Simpsons :)  At least he responded, but jeez... no need to be a **** about it.  He could just say, "There may be blemishes... can make no further guarantees about condition of item. Bid at your own risk." What a jerk.

• Like 1

Picture in your mind the comic book store owner from the Simpsons :)  At least he responded, but jeez... no need to be a **** about it.  He could just say, "There may be blemishes... can make no further guarantees about condition of item. Bid at your own risk." What a jerk.

I totally should have asked if he runs his shop like the comic book guy :)

Not on eBay but Amazon doesn't have its own fruitcake thread on BP so...

It has been asked:

Why did you retire this set? At lego shop.com it looked very successful and now people have to pay $100 for a set that was $20 originally

It's a question that Amazon sometimes sent to its customers asking if they can help with some potential buyer's questions.

The question seems to be meant for TLG. Just thought this is interesting. lol

• Like 1

Would you guys entertain a buyer who complained to you that his/her item is damaged more than a month after it was delivered (June 26)?

Well, if paid for with Paypal, under the new rules you are obligated for up to 180 days (6 months) from the payment date, so you don't really have much choice but to fulfill any service & support request for half a year or just deal with the despute/claim process under the buyer's terms and/or honesty. 

• Like 1

"Sorry, you missed my 2 weeks window for return." 

I've had this exact situation recently and quoted my return policy (2 weeks), but also said that I would make an exception and replace or refund the product in full if the buyer returned the item. Buyer responded and thanked me for my excellent service and said he changed his mind and would keep the item after all. I believe most people are reasonable - it's the scammers that make our lives difficult.
  • Like 3

Would you guys entertain a buyer who complained to you that his/her item is damaged more than a month after it was delivered (June 26)?

It depends. Some around here may think it unlikely (or impossible) but the reason for the delay could be very legit.

Last summer, for instance, I was on vacation three weeks and then had to work 12 hours shifts for a week straight immediately after returning home (significant because I live in an apartment, so the package had to sit in the office that extra week). If I had had a package arrive the day after I left, and found it crushed at my first available opportunity to take posession, the last thing I would care to deal with would be the paranoid accusatory attitude of a few folks around here.

That said, I realize it could be a case of buyer's remorse or any number of invalid reasons for wanting a return / refund.

Bottom line is, good communication always pays off. I would ask the buyer why it took them so long to contact you and go from there.

Out of curiosity, is this an item that has experienced large spikes in value lately?

It depends. Some around here may think it unlikely (or impossible) but the reason for the delay could be very legit.

Last summer, for instance, I was on vacation three weeks and then had to work 12 hours shifts for a week straight immediately after returning home (significant because I live in an apartment, so the package had to sit in the office that extra week). If I had had a package arrive the day after I left, and found it crushed at my first available opportunity to take posession, the last thing I would care to deal with would be the paranoid accusatory attitude of a few folks around here.

That said, I realize it could be a case of buyer's remorse or any number of invalid reasons for wanting a return / refund.

Bottom line is, good communication always pays off. I would ask the buyer why it took them so long to contact you and go from there.

Out of curiosity, is this an item that has experienced large spikes in value lately?

Thanks for sharing your experience. The buyer bought four sets of ESBs (21002) from me back in June and he got back to me two weeks ago saying that two out of the four sets were damaged. So I asked him to send me the pictures and he only got back to me with them today. Now he wants to return all four saying that the other two had some damages too. -_-  

Has anyone experienced a guy messaging you about being a disabled veteran and wanting what you had cheaper for a veterans Lego therapy group he funds? I'm selling of mostly complete 6210 and 4504 parts and he says they are needing these parts to finish there own. 

that same situation has been mentioned several times in the last six months or so.

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but... What does your inability to pick up your own mail have to do with my return policy? Were you unaware that you would be gone/busy for so long? If you know you won't be able to receive shipments for an extended period of time would it not be advisable to delay ordering until you could? I've had this scenario come up from time to time and it baffles me that someone would order an item knowing it will sit in an unsecured location for an extended period, be it your porch, back deck, or an apartment rental office. Just seems like you would be asking for trouble.

• Like 1