Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

potential buyer for the arctic tent:

auto rejected first two "or best offers"

manages to get a $12 offer in with "this set is only $14 new, and it is missing the minifigures, the pan and other pieces"

I am selling just the tent + instructions

I don't know to block him, or what (set sells well, and it isn't for the minifigures)

I was shocked a seller offered up a $50 refund on a 75060 Slave 1 I purchased on EBay.  He shipped it late after the July 4th weekend and it arrived today.  I didn't even ask, I just messaged him since I never received a tracking number.

$50 is worth not getting a negative, in my opinion...
  • Like 1

won two auctions @ ebay last week saturday(7/11). paid them immediately.

seller uploads tracking information the same day. i was so excited. i check the tracking information next day it said

first class package service... i was like seriously!!!! for 76038 and 75055 .. i mean are you really kidding me :o.

i asked seller how the package is being shipped and got the response as parcel select. i waited till wednesday (7/15) no movement on the package or no new tracking number update.

7/16 opened case with ebay

7/18 got my refund

7/18 left negative feedback. wrote exactly what happened. so that future buyer won't have to go through the hassle.

not sure what happened i am guessing

a. auction price wasn't going to cover the cost+shipping for the seller so he/she decided to jerk me around. he/she probably was taking chance on these transaction.

just my 0.02 don't put up item for sale/auction or BIN on ebay thinking that the cost of shipping is $5 or $7 (which would be if its within same region). there would be folks who would come and buy your item from other coast and all your low price and under-cutting will fall through the floor down away ...

look @ following listing : check this out :) item location china .. LOL and someone bid on it as well !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LEGO-Super-Heroes-Attack-on-Avengers-Tower-76038-/321810488143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aed665b4f

Edited by newbie77

Shipped out four ESBs, which arrived on June 26. Buyer promptly left positive feedback. But I received the following message moments ago:

Hi, and many thanks for the legos! I wanted to send you an update. Two of the four boxes arrived with contents fully intact, I believe. The problem is, two of the boxes were dented up and are not very nice to give as gifts. 

What should I do?

Shipped out four ESBs, which arrived on June 26. Buyer promptly left positive feedback. But I received the following message moments ago:

Hi, and many thanks for the legos! I wanted to send you an update. Two of the four boxes arrived with contents fully intact, I believe. The problem is, two of the boxes were dented up and are not very nice to give as gifts. 

What should I do?

Start off by assuming they are telling the truth and be sympathetic...it really is a bummer to get dinged up boxes - especially if they are gifts...or more likely he is another resller! Something along the lines of  "Sorry, I totally understand, it is very disappointing to get damaged boxes.  These items were carefully packaged, unfortunately the USPS doesn't necessarily share our love of LEGO!" I would also ask for them to send pictures to you.  A trick I like to do is to put it back on them...ask what they would like for you to do to rectify the situation (after he sends pictures of course).  If they give unreasonable demnads (like full refund but they keep the items) then just have them send them back and you will lose on the shipping.  Often they ask for less than you were willing to concede.  The sign of a good seller on ebay isn't how they handle the routine transactions...but how they react when something goes wrong.  And it  at some point to even the most conscienious seller.

The fact that they already left positive feedback is telling also.  Some buyers will use negative feedback to extort refunds from sellers, but that clearly isn't the case here.

Edited by El Guapo
To add content
  • Like 4

Start off by assuming they are telling the truth and be sympathetic...it really is a bummer to get dinged up boxes - especially if they are gifts...or more likely he is another resller! Something along the lines of  "Sorry, I totally understand, it is very disappointing to get damaged boxes.  These items were carefully packaged, unfortunately the USPS doesn't necessarily share our love of LEGO!" I would also ask for them to send pictures to you.  A trick I like to do is to put it back on them...ask what they would like for you to do to rectify the situation (after he sends pictures of course).  If they give unreasonable demnads (like full refund but they keep the items) then just have them send them back and you will lose on the shipping.  Often they ask for less than you were willing to concede.  The sign of a good seller on ebay isn't how they handle the routine transactions...but how they react when something goes wrong.  And it  at some point to even the most conscienious seller.

The fact that they already left positive feedback is telling also.  Some buyers will use negative feedback to extort refunds from sellers, but that clearly isn't the case here.

Thanks for the advice! I just find it fishy that someone would file a complaint after nearly a month he/she received her items and left a positive feedback. 

Thanks for the advice! I just find it fishy that someone would file a complaint after nearly a month he/she received her items and left a positive feedback. 

True.  I didn't see the date (or forgot what the date is today!)  But, yes that is odd.  Could be that they didn't bother to pull the sets completely out of the box until now.  

I guess my point is the same though, be sympathetic and ask them what to do next.  If they decide to file a case, they will win.  Ebay gives the benefit of the doubt to the buyer. 

True.  I didn't see the date (or forgot what the date is today!)  But, yes that is odd.  Could be that they didn't bother to pull the sets completely out of the box until now.  

I guess my point is the same though, be sympathetic and ask them what to do next.  If they decide to file a case, they will win.  Ebay gives the benefit of the doubt to the buyer. 

This does happen sometimes to myself. Sometimes you get back home from your day job and simply too tired to deal with the brown boxes... lol

• Like 2

It didn't sell at that price, the listed just ended. He might have sold it elsewhere for less and the others he sold were at a lower price.

For sold listings it will read 'Sold for:'.... whatever amount it went for.

Here's a sold listing:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Rare-Lego-6866-Marvel-Super-Heroes-Wolverines-Chopper-Showdown-Brand-New-/321801706688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aece05cc0

Edited by tractorboy

It didn't sell at that price, the listed just ended. He might have sold it elsewhere for less and the others he sold were at a lower price.

For sold listings it will read 'Sold for:'.... whatever amount it went for.

Here's a sold listing:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Rare-Lego-6866-Marvel-Super-Heroes-Wolverines-Chopper-Showdown-Brand-New-/321801706688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aece05cc0

Where it says 3 sold if you click on that, you'll see that someone paid £179 for it. Mad Ted.

Issue:  I found this auction on eBay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-Bulk-Legos-Lot-about-30-pounds-Space-Blacktron-Pirates-Castle-Vintage-COOL-/281752731331?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=gMkssQZCZjmDj5Gw0L1xjemquzo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I also found their business website which had the same listing so it was being sold in two different locations.  I bought the lot from their website for less than the ebay listing.

The lot should arrive today.  However the UPS shipping weight is 24 lbs where the listing states it is approximately 30 lbs?

Huge difference considering a 1lb or two in shipping/packing materials.

Question: Any ideas on how to form an email to address the weight discrepancy?

Thank you for any advice provided.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-Bulk-Legos-Lot-about-30-pounds-Space-Blacktron-Pirates-Castle-Vintage-COOL-/281752731331?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=gMkssQZCZjmDj5Gw0L1xjemquzo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I also found their business website which had the same listing so it was being sold in two different locations.  I bought the lot from their website for less than the ebay listing.

The lot should arrive today.  However the UPS shipping weight is 24 lbs where the listing states it is approximately 30 lbs?

What did the listing on their website say for weight? They could have said it was 100lbs on eBay but you didn't buy it there so you haven't got much of a case unless the website listing was incorrect.

Now, is there any chance the UPS shipping weight is showing a dimensional weight instead of an actual weight??

• Like 1

I agree with Bold-Arrow, I would wait to see what arrives but at the end of the day the listing says "about 30 pounds"...

The listings were identical in content description. 

I did use PayPal.   I have no idea how much the lot weighs as I have not received it yet.

The argument for all boils down to semantics.  What does "about 30 lbs" mean?

To me something in the 28-32lb range = "about".  Others may have a different opinion.

I paid ($250)  which is ~7.81 (@ 32lb) - 8.93 (@ 28lb) per pound expecting the lot to be ~30 lbs...

I do try to be as honest and forthright as possible.

I will have the actual weight this evening.  Right now it is only speculative and argumentative.

• Like 1

I did use PayPal.   I have no idea how much the lot weighs as I have not received it yet.

To me something in the 28-32lb range = "about".  Others may have a different opinion.

I paid ($250)  which is ~7.81 (@ 32lb) - 8.93 (@ 28lb) per pound expecting the lot to be ~30 lbs...

I will have the actual weight this evening.  Right now it is only speculative and argumentative.

Then you probably want to wait and weigh it. If it really is 24lbs, that's enough of a discrepancy to complain IMO. But before you complain, decide what you want to do about it? Are you looking for some $$ back? Do you want to return it?

I don't intend this as rude, but perhaps the question "what does about 30lbs mean?" ought to be asked before buying it?

• Like 1

If actual received weight is less than 24 lb after removing packing material, I would complain to seller and file SNAD if they do not cooperate. That would be more than 20% off their estimate, which would not be an acceptable "about" variance to me. I would accept an appropriate percentage refund off the final paid price.

If actual received weight is less than 24 lb after removing packing material, I would complain to seller and file SNAD if they do not cooperate. That would be more than 20% off their estimate, which would not be an acceptable "about" variance to me. I would accept an appropriate percentage refund off the final paid price.

The bigger problem is OP ordered from the seller's website and not eBay

• Like 2

'About 30lbs' sounds like the seller might just have looked at it and thought...'well, looks about 30lbs there', and not even weighed it at all. If you receive everything that's shown in the images, and didn't contact the seller for a more exact weight, I'm not sure there's much grounds to complain.