Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I have 5x polybags BIN for $18 (90% of their original retail price) with free S/H, and got a message today:

Can you sell me 5 bags for $10 total?

Really?  So $10 - $3 for S/H - $1.59 in fees = I'd be getting $1.08 for each polybag (not in profit).  Are these people serious?

Edited by I am Niko

I have 5x polybags BIN for $18 (90% of their original retail price) with free S/H, and got a message today:

Really?  So $10 - $3 for S/H - $1.59 in fees = I'd be getting $1.08 for each polybag (not in profit).  Are these people serious?

In my land, they get seriously blocked.
  • Like 1

I know it is annoying. But people are free to ask.

Just like we do. When we get a free polybag after making a purchase in a store and we ask if we can get a few more cause our little critters like them so much. :angel:

I have one guy that's asked me every week for about six weeks now...not sure how his emails aren't blocked since I have checked the no contact option & I've never replied. He's asked to pay 30% OF the asking price & others have no problem paying the asking price from me...

There are people on ebay doing far worse than asking for a discount on polybags......just sayin.

Sure there are, but when I already have the lowest price on something, and you offer half of my BIN price when I don't even have "Make an offer" listed, you deserve fruitcake status.

Edited by I am Niko
  • Like 2

There are people on ebay doing far worse than asking for a discount on polybags......just sayin.

I know it is annoying. But people are free to ask.

Absolutely. When I see people and their insta-block mentality, I just think "that's someone I don't want to do business with". You are driving away customers. How would you feel if Walmart flat-out banned you for asking about a bulk clearance discount, or a sketchy price match? Better yet, how about if your Lego B&M store kicks you out for asking for a break on a damaged box?

Just about everyone is looking for a deal, and the definition of such need not be the same for both buyer and seller. Have a little tolerance.

Sure there are, but when I already have the lowest price on something, and you offer half of my BIN price when I don't even have "Make an offer" listed, you deserve fruitcake status.

You nearly have a point, but don't make the mistake of assuming this person is calculating your profit margin in their head when they ask. That's not their problem. Maybe they just have a budget and a need and are hoping for the best.

I had an older rare sealed star wars set listed last year and got a generic message asking if I would take barely over half the BIN price. Sure, I rolled my eyes, but then I made a short professional reply declining the offer. The story got interesting (and suspicious to me) when I was basically begged to reconsider by a 12 year old kid looking to spend all his birthday money on the one set he wanted most. Taking the story at face value, I replied again in a much more friendly manner, apologizing that I couldn't accept his offer, and suggested he search for used sets instead. Three days later I get notified his grandpa agreed to pay for the difference, and I got my full asking price and made a kid really happy with no hassle whatsoever.

No need to jump to conclusions about who is a true fruitcake and who needs to be blocked from your "shut up and give me your money" business, people. 

• Like 2

Absolutely. When I see people and their insta-block mentality, I just think "that's someone I don't want to do business with". You are driving away customers. How would you feel if Walmart flat-out banned you for asking about a bulk clearance discount, or a sketchy price match? Better yet, how about if your Lego B&M store kicks you out for asking for a break on a damaged box?

Just about everyone is looking for a deal, and the definition of such need not be the same for both buyer and seller. Have a little tolerance.

The problem is that on eBay, many times the people who make ridiculous unsolicited offers are ones who will give you issues if they do end up winning an auction from you (i.e. "2 bags were missing, I want some money refunded, etc.).  I used to be part of the "never block, always send a polite message back" crowd, but too many of my seller friends have gotten bitten by these type of buyers.

I can see how someone might ask for half your BIN on an old set, because they might have saw the original retail price somewhere and just innocently assumed it should be near that price.  But asking for 25% of retail price on a new, sealed product that I've sold over 200 of at my full asking price, isn't exactly "looking for a deal"....it's looking for a steal.

The problem is that on eBay, many times the people who make ridiculous unsolicited offers are ones who will give you issues if they do end up winning an auction from you (i.e. "2 bags were missing, I want some money refunded, etc.).  I used to be part of the "never block, always send a polite message back" crowd, but too many of my seller friends have gotten bitten by these type of buyers.

I can see how someone might ask for half your BIN on an old set, because they might have saw the original retail price somewhere and just innocently assumed it should be near that price.  But asking for 25% of retail price on a new, sealed product that I've sold over 200 of at my full asking price, isn't exactly "looking for a deal"....it's looking for a steal.

How do you know the difference between the innocent / ignorant and those who are actually likely to cause you problems based on just an offer? I mean jeez, people block people for things that could be simple typos (seemingly not in this case).

My point is, being overly judgmental seems to be a common problem these days, and not a small one, imho. Maybe it has something to do with our increasingly tech'd-out, instant-gratification-based society that fails to encourage ACTUAL HUMAN INTERACTION on many significant levels. But I digress...

I promote patience and professionalism. It has ALWAYS worked well for me - just takes a bit more effort.

• Like 1

How do you know the difference between the innocent / ignorant and those who are actually likely to cause you problems based on just an offer? I mean jeez, people block people for things that could be simple typos (seemingly not in this case).

My point is, being overly judgmental seems to be a common problem these days, and not a small one, imho. Maybe it has something to do with our increasingly tech'd-out, instant-gratification-based society that fails to encourage ACTUAL HUMAN INTERACTION on many significant levels. But I digress...

I promote patience and professionalism. It has ALWAYS worked well for me - just takes a bit more effort.

I respect your principles.  What worries me as a seller, though, is that even if I decline an unsolicited offer, the buyer may purchase anyway and then hit me up for the discount again.  That's where I get worried.  He's already bought the item, so now he can try his hand at feedback extortion or worse.  I've run into this scenario enough times that my general response to non-serious (ie very deep discount) offers is 'block and move on'.  The chance of closing a deal with those guys is generally near zero, and unfortunately the chance of headaches is at least 50/50.

• Like 2

Whether you block someone with low offers or not that is not the point I was trying to make. If you feel this person is not trustworthy and maybe later bite you in the behind. Block!

However, sometimes people do a low offer just to try. For the sport. Just like us. Trying to get something as cheap as possible. Or they have small wallets. You'll never know. In some occasions when I politely declined a lowball offer and made clear it was a fixed price they bought it anyway. 

It is difficult to filter the good from the bad. But the good should not suffer from the bad. I believe that is happening too much already in this world.

• Like 3

In the flurry of selling the Jurassic World Polybag (i sold over 30 mostly to the US at an average of $17CAD) before they became widely available in the US and via the pre-orders. I ended up getting 1 customer claim they never received the item.

I shipped these via lettermail and offered free shipping. lettermail to the US from Canada can take a while especially if it gets stuck in customs for whatever reason. So a couple days after shipping the item the customer contacts me and says they have not received it yet, and to send them the tracking info. I politely tell them that this was shipped via lettermail and contains no tracking (also put in Layman’s terms in the auction). I also advised them to wait at least another week before even breaking a sweat about receiving it. The customer seems ok with it at this point.

A week and a half later the customer contacts me again saying they have not received it. At this point i am a bit concerned, and advise them to wait at least 1 more week, and if nothing arrives to open an item not received case and i would promptly refund them. After all this item was purchased for a couple dollars, i frankly didn’t really care if he was scamming me or not, and would rather avoid the negative feedback.

Again customer seems ok with this and agrees he will open the case in a week. After the week is up he sends me an essay message on how he believes i never sent the item, and that i was just trying to get out of not selling it to him because A: shipping to the US is expensive, and B: he bought it for less than i expected to sell it (there was a lot more but these were the main points he focused on). So i responded back calmly and explained to him that A: 90% of my polybag sales are to the US and i have NP with that as lettermail shipping to the US is dirt cheap, and B: i had the auction in “Buy it Now” format, which means I set the price and what i want the item to sell at... No idea if he believed my counters as he did not respond.

This angry essay he sent me was the most conspiracy filled message I’ve ever received, it was so out of nowhere too as before he seemed calm and understanding. Anyways he did not leave me negative feedback (yet) so I’m ok with it.

And yes i did refund him just as fast as i promised. Even if he scammed me; my %100 feedback is worth more than a couple $.

In the flurry of selling the Jurassic World Polybag (i sold over 30 mostly to the US at an average of $17CAD) before they became widely available in the US and via the pre-orders. I ended up getting 1 customer claim they never received the item.

I shipped these via lettermail and offered free shipping. lettermail to the US from Canada can take a while especially if it gets stuck in customs for whatever reason. So a couple days after shipping the item the customer contacts me and says they have not received it yet, and to send them the tracking info. I politely tell them that this was shipped via lettermail and contains no tracking (also put in Layman’s terms in the auction). I also advised them to wait at least another week before even breaking a sweat about receiving it. The customer seems ok with it at this point.

A week and a half later the customer contacts me again saying they have not received it. At this point i am a bit concerned, and advise them to wait at least 1 more week, and if nothing arrives to open an item not received case and i would promptly refund them. After all this item was purchased for a couple dollars, i frankly didn’t really care if he was scamming me or not, and would rather avoid the negative feedback.

Again customer seems ok with this and agrees he will open the case in a week. After the week is up he sends me an essay message on how he believes i never sent the item, and that i was just trying to get out of not selling it to him because A: shipping to the US is expensive, and B: he bought it for less than i expected to sell it (there was a lot more but these were the main points he focused on). So i responded back calmly and explained to him that A: 90% of my polybag sales are to the US and i have NP with that as lettermail shipping to the US is dirt cheap, and B: i had the auction in “Buy it Now” format, which means I set the price and what i want the item to sell at... No idea if he believed my counters as he did not respond.

This angry essay he sent me was the most conspiracy filled message I’ve ever received, it was so out of nowhere too as before he seemed calm and understanding. Anyways he did not leave me negative feedback (yet) so I’m ok with it.

And yes i did refund him just as fast as i promised. Even if he scammed me; my %100 feedback is worth more than a couple $.

I believe that you might be scammed. However, even with a tracking number, a lot of sellers have still lost their cases. Without a tracking, I really don't think you have a stand with eBay ruling. Advise: get a tracking next time as your insurance. Or actually if the return is good, it probably could still make up that 1 out of 30 fraud in your case.

I believe that you might be scammed. However, even with a tracking number, a lot of sellers have still lost their cases. Without a tracking, I really don't think you have a stand with eBay ruling. Advise: get a tracking next time as your insurance. Or actually if the return is good, it probably could still make up that 1 out of 30 fraud in your case.

I'm pretty sure if you add tracking to that letter it would cost $15-20 instead of $5. Canada Post is a bit ridiculous.

Exactly. I track everything but polys and take the risk. Since 2007 I've only ever had 2 items get "lost" in transit. So i take the chances as free shipping to the US for small items like this is almost a must for Canadians trying to compete with US prices.

I may be reading into this a little too much, but an eBay member with a feedback of 2 asked me to ship him a Lego set without the original box. But when his greeting was "dear figits".....never heard of figits, so looking it up on urban dictionary, it has a meaning that is not-so-motivating me to respond to him. What do you think? LOL Smh

I may be reading into this a little too much, but an eBay member with a feedback of 2 asked me to ship him a Lego set without the original box. But when his greeting was "dear figits".....never heard of figits, so looking it up on urban dictionary, it has a meaning that is not-so-motivating me to respond to him. What do you think? LOL Smh

That is hilarious.  I totally would be cautious about this sale.

And to add, definitely sounds like you are not dealing with an adult.  I would send a reply, "Did you call me a figit?"

Edited by stackables
  • Like 2

That is hilarious.  I totally would be cautious about this sale.

And to add, definitely sounds like you are not dealing with an adult.  I would send a reply, "Did you call me a figit?"

Well, I went a few days without responding and he sent me another message; broken english.  This time, it was addressed Good Evening at 5am PST.  Anyway, gonna respond to his message and see what happens.  

Well, I went a few days without responding and he sent me another message; broken english.  This time, it was addressed Good Evening at 5am PST.  Anyway, gonna respond to his message and see what happens.  

Hello, I joined the site earlier this year but have not had time to jump in yet and get involved in the forums.  I'm looking forward to being more active in the Lego community.  

Anyway, I sell on eBay as well and read your post.  I had a buyer contact me yesterday with the same situation as you described.  A member with 2 feedback (not sure if we are allowed to post the name of the buyer) messaged me asking if I can send him a set but remove the box before shipping.  Although the set is sealed, he only wants the bags and manual.  I thought it was a little strange but tell him I can do it at his request.

His response was:
Hello, thank you very much for your reply. I mean, the delivery address is a PO BOX in Miami and from there I sent the package to Costa Rica. Only the bags and manual lower the cost to my country.

I have been selling items on eBay for 10 years and never had an instance of a scam, at least where the buyer robbed me out of my item or money in a case.  It seems legit since I realize some buyers do purchase Lego sets with no box in order to lower shipping costs.  It is clear this buyer is using a drop shipping service.  I have had several buyers in the past use a drop shipping service although none of them requested that the Lego set be opened and only send the bags and manual.  Nevertheless, I paid $15 for the set earlier this year during Walmart clearance and sold it for $50 w/free shipping so it is worth the risk to me for the return I will make.

Edited by msdontplay01
text jumbled

Hello, I joined the site earlier this year but have not had time to jump in yet and get involved in the forums.  I'm looking forward to being more active in the Lego community.  

Anyway, I sell on eBay as well and read your post.  I had a buyer contact me yesterday with the same situation as you described.  A member with 2 feedback (not sure if we are allowed to post the name of the buyer) messaged me asking if I can send him a set but remove the box before shipping.  Although the set is sealed, he only wants the bags and manual.  I thought it was a little strange but tell him I can do it at his request.

His response was:
Hello, thank you very much for your reply. I mean, the delivery address is a PO BOX in Miami and from there I sent the package to Costa Rica. Only the bags and manual lower the cost to my country.

I have been selling items on eBay for 10 years and never had an instance of a scam, at least where the buyer robbed me out of my item or money in a case.  It seems legit since I realize some buyers do purchase Lego sets with no box in order to lower shipping costs.  It is clear this buyer is using a drop shipping service.  I have had several buyers in the past use a drop shipping service although none of them requested that the Lego set be opened and only send the bags and manual.  Nevertheless, I paid $15 for the set earlier this year during Walmart clearance and sold it for $50 w/free shipping so it is worth the risk to me for the return I will make.

Sounds like you had the same buyer contact you as well.  I shipped it to him today after I asked him about why he did not want the box.  He said the same thing about living in Miami and shipping it to Costa Rica.  I told him I would do it for him and he paid within a few minutes.  I think it worked out well!

His response was:

I have this kind of request all the time on Bricklink.