Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

​I have had money taken from my bank account by paypal without my permission. My bank said there was nothing they could do as I had given them my account/routing number. But I guess that didn't really happen to me because you say it can't. Good to know. Guess I have that money after all.

"I guess you read both sides on the internet so it must be true."

What in the actual fact does that even mean?

​Well I'm curious under what circumstances it happened then. Want to share or keep with the world's out to get me attitude?

What "I guess you read both sides on the internet so it must be true." means is that without a real story I don't believe a word you guys say. On the internet, everyone has a story and I don't know if it's true or not. PayPal says they never will, some hothead says they do, PayPal says that's impossible, some sweet innocent person says they did.

PS You can f* it all you want, but it doesn't fly. How about trying to be helpful instead?

• Like 1

​I have had money taken from my bank account by paypal without my permission. My bank said there was nothing they could do as I had given them my account/routing number. But I guess that didn't really happen to me because you say it can't. Good to know. Guess I have that money after all.

​Did Paypal take the money or did it look like Paypal taking it because your eBay issues?

If it's the latter, then that's because the eBay serller agreement you signed allows them to charge you and take money from you if you lose a case against a buyer.

Edited by cissi

It seems that this might not be the perfect thread for this question, but relevant. I posted an FB and PS with global shipping, and it sold. The buyer is in Indonesia, with 0 ebay feedback. I'm paid up via PayPal, but I'm a bit nervous none the less. Do you guys have any advice on this? I was going to weigh everything and take a ton of pictures. Anything else I can do to protect myself? 

It seems that this might not be the perfect thread for this question, but relevant. I posted an FB and PS with global shipping, and it sold. The buyer is in Indonesia, with 0 ebay feedback. I'm paid up via PayPal, but I'm a bit nervous none the less. Do you guys have any advice on this? I was going to weigh everything and take a ton of pictures. Anything else I can do to protect myself? 

​With the global shipping program the item only needs to be delivered to the ebay warehouse/hub.  Once delivery is confirmed to the hub (where ebay repacks and send to the end user) you should be fine.  I sold an item through the gsp earlier this year and it was "lost" in the mail in the end users country.  The tracking info just dried up.  The funds were put on hold for awhile but I got to keep the money from the sale.  Thats why I like the gsp, once you deliver it to ebay, you dont have to worry about it anymore.

• Like 1

insure the product. that's the best way to go about it. most of my sales above $200 are signature confirmation and insured. (someone will jump and say that i am wasting money but the odds of having to file a claim is about 4% (for me). i take it as a part of doing business. even at that its about $800 at the minimum. cost of insuring and signature confirmation roughly about $7 on average. so i am spending $700 to protect at least $800.) it makes sense for me financially and better sleep at night.

on a side-note, we all had to start at 0. so i don't necessarily have that "beware/watch out" flag for "0" feedback.

i have no experience or knowledge about Global Shipping.

Edited by newbie77

Thanks for the idea. I'm fine with insurance, but I'm insuring it from my house to Kentucky. eBay take over from there. Signature guarantee and insurance would end there. It doesn't prevent the buyer from filling with Mega Bloks and returning it to me. It's that kinda stuff that I'm more worried about. 

Thanks for the idea. I'm fine with insurance, but I'm insuring it from my house to Kentucky. eBay take over from there. Signature guarantee and insurance would end there. It doesn't prevent the buyer from filling with Mega Bloks and returning it to me. It's that kinda stuff that I'm more worried about. 

A preshipment inspection by a notary public or competent official body would be the only sure fire way to avoid that but unless you are shipping SSD´s or better, it probably isn´t cost effective.

The cheapest way is just  not to take Paypal and assume you will lose a % of customers.

Bought a 7965 MF from this seller over the weekend and it hasn't shipped yet. They also relisted the auction, which means they sold 28 of them in a couple of days. The price is not too much cheaper from the going rate, but I'm beginning to suspect this was a cash grab. I've messaged him twice and no response yet. Anyways, I'm not worried because I should be able to get my money back if my order is not fulfilled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181761352165?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is a perfect example of "lets not be to quick to judge" http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-IMPERIAL-SHUTTLE-10212-RETIRED-NEW-SEALED-/171803013919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item280041f31f

I purchased this cause I had a big ebay coupon and wanted one more of these, yes i had other sets to weight this against and verify but at first the listing looks highly suspicious. Like no way a seller with 3 feedback has 8 of these. 

Here is a perfect example of "lets not be to quick to judge" http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-IMPERIAL-SHUTTLE-10212-RETIRED-NEW-SEALED-/171803013919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item280041f31f

I purchased this cause I had a big ebay coupon and wanted one more of these, yes i had other sets to weight this against and verify but at first the listing looks highly suspicious. Like no way a seller with 3 feedback has 8 of these. 

​He had 10 of these. 8 on that listing & 2 have imperfections. I think you're fine.

Bought a 7965 MF from this seller over the weekend and it hasn't shipped yet. They also relisted the auction, which means they sold 28 of them in a couple of days. The price is not too much cheaper from the going rate, but I'm beginning to suspect this was a cash grab. I've messaged him twice and no response yet. Anyways, I'm not worried because I should be able to get my money back if my order is not fulfilled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181761352165?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

​I saw these. I think this will never materialize. I hope I'm wrong...

The seller may not have much detail in the listing, but the item specifics and detailed item info are correct... the pictures do not appear to be stolen.. each listing is just a bit different and most importantly the listed price isn't too good to be true.

I know you can never be too sure, but this listing doesn't have nearly the red flags of those other ones. The only problem is the low feedback score and even then we've seen the scammers usually try to hack accounts with better feedback scores.

I hope you enjoy your 10212 anyways... still my #1 fav set.

​I saw these. I think this will never materialize. I hope I'm wrong...

​Shipping cost to Spain is only 21 USD - you might be able to sell the product cheap but why would you subsidise shipping too? One way of catching scammers might be to see if they took the time to calculate foreign shipping accurately -  very low values could set off alarm bells.

• Like 2

I bought a UCS Darth Maul a couple weeks ago, and it finally arrived today. The majority of the pieces are caked in dust, which was not how the item was described. More than half of them look like the picture attached. I'm going to message the seller, but what is reasonable to expect? I don't really want to deal with returning it, but is it reasonable to get some kind of refund for all the time I'm going to have to spend cleaning it?

image.jpg

I bought a UCS Darth Maul a couple weeks ago, and it finally arrived today. The majority of the pieces are caked in dust, which was not how the item was described. More than half of them look like the picture attached. I'm going to message the seller, but what is reasonable to expect? I don't really want to deal with returning it, but is it reasonable to get some kind of refund for all the time I'm going to have to spend cleaning it?

image.jpg

​To be honest, some of my BL order bricks came this way too... I didn't bother to complain. Used condition... really hard to define.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

throw all pieces is towel, run under warm water (jostle around pieces will help), dump onto another towel and put a fan on it. 5 min wash 30 min dry. no refund needed, maybe a comment in feedback

now the pet hair is a endless battle

image.jpg

Honestly 90% of my used sets that I've bought off of ebay have arrived dusty so in my opinion it's reasonable to expect any used set that you order to need cleaning since that isn't necessarily the sellers responsibility it's more of a common courtesy thing, if on the other hand the parts have chew marks, discoloration, or damage then that's another story so I would say you can either return it or keep it and clean it.

Edited by California92563

Thanks for the input. I've received dusty sets before, but nothing this bad. I probably won't make a big deal about it, but this is something that should at least be described in the eBay listing in my opinion.

Absolutely agree! Should have been mentioned for sure...