Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

NEWSFLASH: one of the reasons Ebay/paypal fees are astronomical is because of the "oh well if it's a scam they will protect me" mentality. Y'all wanna blame ebay and paypal for being greedy and having exorbitant fees when in actuality it's the people's greed that is a major cause of the stupidly high fees. Good job everyone.........golf clap.

​I do not believe it is greed to want to receive what you pay for or at least something from the seller and if the seller never sends anything then you should be protected...I agree you should not buy an item that you assume is a scam.

​I do not believe it is greed to want to receive what you pay for or at least something from the seller and if the seller never sends anything then you should be protected...I agree you should not buy an item that you assume is a scam.

​There is an element of greed, when people know in their hearts that it's a scam and go for it anyway. The scammers are generally easy to spot, they're too good to be true.

• Like 1

I have a feeling the people defending buying from obvious scammers are the people that buy stuff from obvious scammers. If that is the case, just know that you suck as a human. Carry on.

​I am not sure if anyone is defending buying from scammers..i clearly said you should not buy if you suspect it is a scam...Higher fees for buyer protection??? Most refunds come from sellers so it does not "cost" ebay much to provide the Money Back Guarantee also it adds a great deal of buyer trust and confidence to their online purchases...Unfortunately it gives so much confidence that some people are willing to take a risk knowing they will be protected. I think it is the scammers that suck as humans. Take it easy bro

​I am not sure if anyone is defending buying from scammers..i clearly said you should not buy if you suspect it is a scam...Higher fees for buyer protection??? Most refunds come from sellers so it does not "cost" ebay much to provide the Money Back Guarantee also it adds a great deal of buyer trust and confidence to their online purchases...Unfortunately it gives so much confidence that some people are willing to take a risk knowing they will be protected. I think it is the scammers that suck as humans. Take it easy bro

Time and again people say "oh well, I'm protected by PayPal" if it's a scam.... and now I might not go so far as to say they suck as humans but when you see an add as too good to be true for expensive collector's items on eBay or Craigslist (one of those you can't see it in person ads) it usually is and that's what annoys me. With just a little bit of effort, I found that stolen picture of the helicarrier.

We've seen numerous times on these forums that people sometimes really do find extreme deals but over and over and over when it's a too good to be true scenario it's some sort of scam or dropship with stolen credit cards or fake products or something.

I really do need to write something up.... it was so damn obvious.

​I can tell you a smart scammer can take out the money and close the account leaving a negative balance in Paypal. Paypal actually need to pay out of their (ours?) pocket to the buyer. 

you can transfer the money once you get paid. it take couple days for the product to ship (if any). by the time you file the case, money had already gone.

I did sold some PS3 long time ago and the scammer is the buyer. i can transfer the money out to my bank and he file a claim to make my paypal negative. I called Paypal and they said they refunded the buyer and that is why i have a negative balance. Got to love Paypal for their speedy refund for the scammer <3

Does this mean that you had to sell goods to cover the negative amount before you got any money in your paypal account?

​my account doesn't need SSN at that time (10+ years ago). i did receive some collection letter and i just ignore it. it was a $3500 transaction and i will never accept that BS even now. forget i was in college at that time making $7.25 an hour. 

yes, you need to put $$ back to your paypal if you want to keep the paypal account and i think they can take $$ out from your bank now. 

Edited by LegoEdison

​my account doesn't need SSN at that time (10+ years ago). i did receive some collection letter and i just ignore it. it was a $3500 transaction and i will never accept that BS even now. forget i was in college at that time making $7.25 an hour. 

yes, you need to put $$ back to your paypal if you want to keep the paypal account and i think they can take $$ out from your bank now. 

That is a lot of PS3 gear you had in college! If they can take out the money from your bank account you cannot avoid paying back the negative balance then? BTW, what is SSN?

That is a lot of PS3 gear you had in college! If they can take out the money from your bank account you cannot avoid paying back the negative balance then? BTW, what is SSN?

​PayPal cannot take money out of your personal bank account or charge your credit card without your authorization. That would land them in a heap of hot water .. but they can put your PayPal account into a negative balance and any money flowing into it would pay off the debt first.

Getting a new PayPal account is tricky - in theory a different email and address would work, but if PayPal traces back a credit card # or bank account # to a new account then they'll shut it down... it just depends on whether they find it in time to catch the scammer.

you just need a new email account and new address.

i think we talk too much to be a scammer. mod feel free to delete if that is too much .... lol

So you need to move house then to be able to open a new account. What worries me is that you were scammed and you could do nothing about it i.e. you still owe paypal money at the end!

SSN = Social Security number (national identification number for US people)

i was flipping PS3 when they launch in US. buy in is like $300 and you can flip it 10x in the first day. I still remember one of the buyer is a mom want to surprise her son. I wish my mom is cool like that.  

they cannot take $$ out from my bank at that time because of regulation but now they can. 

So you need to move house then to be able to open a new account. What worries me is that you were scammed and you could do nothing about it i.e. you still owe paypal money at the end!

​It is not as simple as that.  Paypal can trace your duplicate accounts pretty easily.  

Paypal is getting better at identifying and filtering out these types of scam.  They still want you to use their services ;) 

they cannot take $$ out from my bank at that time because of regulation but now they can. 

One of many links...

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ1148&topicID=MY_BANK_ACCOUNTS&m=TCI

It's pretty complicated, but in the end they cannot take money out of your bank account without your permission.  That would be illegal in just about every country with any decent banking laws.

What they CAN do is reverse withdrawal transactions before the money is really available (check with your bank though, as you can dispute it and the bank will likely side with you). They can also do credit card charge backs as per the TOS... and what that means is that if your primary linked method of payment is a credit card tied directly to a checking account then yes, that money would come out of your account.

If you're concerned, you should ensure that your primary method of payment is set to a real bank account and not a credit card. You should also avoid using credit cards tied directly to a bank account because the credit card companies will provide you an extra layer of protection against fraud. Let Mastercard and Visa duke it out with PayPal.

• Like 1

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, that was funny.

​Excuse me? What's so funny? Your negative attitude or my attempt at an honest answer?

PayPal can't dip into your bank account without your permission. I'd love to see some real proof as to where they can - the only way I can see it is if only a bank account backed credit card is linked to your PayPal account. In that case, they still aren't dipping into your bank account - they are charging your credit card (which under the TOS with PayPal you allow) and it gets removed from your bank account as per your TOS with your credit card company/bank.

I guess you read both sides on the internet so it must be true.

i forgot what is the reason but sure it is some generic scammer trick.

my friend recently got a Paypal charge back from his bank account. the $$ is actually deposited to his bank and took out back to Paypal. 

​Withdrawing from PayPal is doing a bank-to-bank transfer... Since those transfers are not instant, there is a time window that allows banks to ask for the money back. What time frame was it? Did your friend dispute it with HIS bank? Was it really withdrawn from the account or was it a charge back on a credit card linked to his account?

Look... I'm only talking about research I've personally done into it so obviously there is a possibility I'm wrong. But you guys keep saying it happened but can't remember the exact circumstance. In that case, you're statements mean absolutely nothing to me especially when you can find it all over paypal's own sites that they don't do it.

​Excuse me? What's so funny? Your negative attitude or my attempt at an honest answer?

PayPal can't dip into your bank account without your permission. I'd love to see some real proof as to where they can - the only way I can see it is if only a bank account backed credit card is linked to your PayPal account. In that case, they still aren't dipping into your bank account - they are charging your credit card (which under the TOS with PayPal you allow) and it gets removed from your bank account as per your TOS with your credit card company/bank.

I guess you read both sides on the internet so it must be true.

​I have had money taken from my bank account by paypal without my permission. My bank said there was nothing they could do as I had given them my account/routing number. But I guess that didn't really happen to me because you say it can't. Good to know. Guess I have that money after all.

"I guess you read both sides on the internet so it must be true."

What in the actual fact does that even mean?

Edited by gregpj
edited for trying to be a smarty pants and bypass potty mouth filters