Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

If your policy is 3 days you should leave them alone until past the time you've alloted them to pay. I personally don't understand anyone one who doesn't pay immediately, especially a BIN auction.

They lock-in the buy and then wait for payday.  The American way, spending money you don't have, ooooor giving away money you don't have.

Plenty of valid reasons to not pay right away. Some of mine are if I'm in an inconvenient location and I don't want to be impolite to the people I am with (aka having dinner, at the mall watching kids, etc)

There is also the PayPal Credit $99 minimum for 6-month financing with extra eBay Bucks. Sometime people are looking to combine items to reach that limit and your item is just one of them while they find something else. I've waited at least 1 day a couple of times while waiting for other auctions to end, etc.

If you find this annoying, you can just specify immediate payment for a BIN listing. For auctions, you just have to wait but you can specify the minimum of just 2 days before an automatic case opens by turning off the ability for combined payments, which isn't good if you are offering combined shipping discounts to get people to buy multiples from you.

Edited by grackleflint

BTW, BIN option is gone the moment a bid is entered

This isn't always true anymore. I believe it now depends on how much difference there is between the current bid amount and the BIN price. If the difference is large enough (not sure what it is right now but think like $0.01 starting bid and a $100 BIN price), then the BIN is still in place until the bid amount difference is smaller.

Edited by grackleflint

This isn't always true anymore. I believe it now depends on how much difference there is between the current bid amount and the BIN price. If the difference is large enough (not sure what it is right now but think like $0.01 starting bid and a $100 BIN price), then the BIN is still in place until the bid amount difference is smaller.

Makes sense.  Also, since BIN has to be at least 30% higher than initial price now, my guess is it is gone once the highest bid is within 30% of BIN

They lock-in the buy and then wait for payday.  The American way, spending money you don't have, ooooor giving away money you don't have.

I had a guy message me saying that's exactly what he did, and would pay me early the next week. I was so shocked he was honest I couldn't be mad.

Edited by tonysbricks

Makes sense.  Also, since BIN has to be at least 30% higher than initial price now, my guess is it is gone once the highest bid is within 30% of BIN

Its one of those inconsistent ebay things. It used to be once the bid was made. Now it is very random and inconsistent. It still usually goes away after the first bid but sometimes it will stay. Its usally more on one where you have a low 9.99 opening bid and a high 99.99 BIN that it would stay available longer. Ive I've seen it do it on a listing like that and then on the same listing again not do it. Just very random. I always set my opening bid at half of BIN to try to avoid the opening bid and get them to hit the BIN. What i don't like is ebay emailing bidders while it is going on with the BIN price in there after it has gone away. This has happened a lot the last few months and the buyer emails asking to buy it now when it is no longer availabe. It can cause problems especially when the item goes over BIN price.

They lock-in the buy and then wait for payday. The American way, spending money you don't have, ooooor giving away money you don't have.

Sold two items in past few days. One lady contacts me to tell me she is paying in teo days once her pays check comes in. No problem. Thanks for letting me know.

The other..... '' just letting you know I don't have the money right now but still want the item. I will be paying on March 28th.

Ummmm, yeah that's not gonna fly.

• Like 3

Good info. I am staying away from auctions (even when they are FREE!) so I have not paid attention to that problem.  Has this happen to listings within the same category ?  Perhaps it is a "feature" for that particular category ;)

Or perhaps there is a hidden option that needs to be set / unset within the listing ?

Good info. I am staying away from auctions (even when they are FREE!) so I have not paid attention to that problem.  Has this happen to listings within the same category ?  Perhaps it is a "feature" for that particular category ;)

Or perhaps there is a hidden option that needs to be set / unset within the listing ?

used to notice it most on Camera listings and some other electronics.  I sell such a wide variety in so many categories so it is hard to say.  I don't really keep up with it.  Its kind of like the one where they started the best offer would stay open until it was paid and you could keep accepting offers until then.  They only did it on certain ones and now don't do it at all.  

I think they just randomly test stuff and on different accounts as well.

Printing labels is another one.  I have some super fast one on one account yet its not on my other one.   I asked and they said its only given to certain high level accounts.  I said well my other account is just as good or better and it doesn't have it.  They said well it hasn't been selected yet.  So go figure.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but now on the desktop they hide the "full description" and you have to click on it to see it all.  Its only doing it on my home computer and none of the 3 at work.  It lets you vote and I voted against.  Funny seeing they encourage you to create detailed descriptions highlighting any flaws or defects only to try out something that hides the work  you did.  Then when the buyer gets it and give you the defect ding you know why they do it LOL.

Sometimes I don't pay right away on auctions because my max bid was entered well before the end of the auction period and I'm busy doing work stuff when I win. Working 12 hour overnight shifts in the emergency room a couple days in a row keeps me out of the loop for a day or two. I always pay right away for BIN listings regardless of whether immediate payment is required.

used to notice it most on Camera listings and some other electronics. I sell such a wide variety in so many categories so it is hard to say. I don't really keep up with it. Its kind of like the one where they started the best offer would stay open until it was paid and you could keep accepting offers until then. They only did it on certain ones and now don't do it at all.

Printing labels is another one. I have some super fast one on one account yet its not on my other one. I asked and they said its only given to certain high level accounts. I said well my other account is just as good or better and it doesn't have it. They said well it hasn't been selected yet. So go figure.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but now on the desktop they hide the "full description" and you have to click on it to see it all. Its only doing it on my home computer and none of the 3 at work. It lets you vote and I voted against. Funny seeing they encourage you to create detailed descriptions highlighting any flaws or defects only to try out something that hides the work you did. Then when the buyer gets it and give you the defect ding you know why they do it LOL.

Very very interesting because I'm the opposite as you on your last paragraph. The app on my phone now hides the full description yet NY desktop is business as usual.

I wonder if I can sue eBay for my headaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

used to notice it most on Camera listings and some other electronics.  I sell such a wide variety in so many categories so it is hard to say.  I don't really keep up with it.  Its kind of like the one where they started the best offer would stay open until it was paid and you could keep accepting offers until then.  They only did it on certain ones and now don't do it at all.  

Printing labels is another one.  I have some super fast one on one account yet its not on my other one.   I asked and they said its only given to certain high level accounts.  I said well my other account is just as good or better and it doesn't have it.  They said well it hasn't been selected yet.  So go figure.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but now on the desktop they hide the "full description" and you have to click on it to see it all.  Its only doing it on my home computer and none of the 3 at work.  It lets you vote and I voted against.  Funny seeing they encourage you to create detailed descriptions highlighting any flaws or defects only to try out something that hides the work  you did.  Then when the buyer gets it and give you the defect ding you know why they do it LOL.

I saw the hidden description randomly.  It probably has something to do with which eBay server I hit on a particular day

• Like 1

Very very interesting because I'm the opposite as you on your last paragraph. The app on my phone now hides the full description yet NY desktop is business as usual.

I wonder if I can sue eBay for my headaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

the app did for a long time for me as well. That last update it seemed to show it more.  Haven't checked it of late.  With app business at 40% range it was killing me on my stuff I list with defects or issues.  

Like I said its just on my computer at home.  Every day I click the vote that I don't like it LOL.  Yet it's still there.

If your policy is 3 days you should leave them alone until past the time you've alloted them to pay. I personally don't understand anyone one who doesn't pay immediately, especially a BIN auction.

There are times that I deliberately won't pay immediately following the auction and one reason is that I don't want to use my cc/paypal and pay conversion fees when I can wait a day or two and have the money appear in my account through a sale or a transfer from someone else.  3.5% on every transaction adds up over a year.  A second reason is that I try to line up deliveries so that I can pick up multiple packages in one trip.

If I do not intend to pay within 24 hours, I leave a message with the seller so that they know I am not ignoring them.  However!!!! One time a seller opened a "did not pay" against me and I waited until the last minute to pay for the item but I still left positive feedback even though they were impatient.

Sold two items in past few days. One lady contacts me to tell me she is paying in teo days once her pays check comes in. No problem. Thanks for letting me know.

The other..... '' just letting you know I don't have the money right now but still want the item. I will be paying on March 28th.

Ummmm, yeah that's not gonna fly.

I HATE when people do that....."oh yeah, uh, I still want the item but I don't have the money.....can I pay you in a week?"....I feel like telling them "why did you bid on it then if you don't have the money? You couldn't have sent me a message first asking me if that's okay?"

Edited by legodelorean

Ok, is this weird or does this happen all the time?

I ordered a Palace Cinema on eBay for $142.50 shipped and almost immediately regretted it because the seller only has two feedbacks, one negative.

Well I got it today, and it was shipped from Lego, Lego shipping box, Lego packing slip, Lego return address, total legit Lego. Only thing weird was that my last name was mispelled.

So I'm thinking, WTF is going on here? Did they purchase it with a stolen credit card and ship it to me while collecting my paypal payment? How do I inform Lego of this?

I ordered a Palace Cinema on eBay for $142.50 shipped and almost immediately regretted it because the seller only has two feedbacks, one negative.

Well I got it today, and it was shipped from Lego, Lego shipping box, Lego packing slip, Lego return address, total legit Lego. Only thing weird was that my last name was mispelled.

So I'm thinking, WTF is going on here? Did they purchase it with a stolen credit card and ship it to me while collecting my paypal payment? How do I inform Lego of this?

Sounds like a drop shipper to me.

Lego always includes a receipt. Is the city your sellers from the same as the one on the receipt? If not, it's probably a drop ship scammer.

The buyer and ship to are both my name and address on the receipt

Yikes! I have no idea what that means. Hopefully, someone else can chime in here...but, I would think that if I bought this with points (as someone on here suggested) then you would receive a receipt with my info as the buyer...

Yikes! I have no idea what that means. Hopefully, someone else can chime in here...but, I would think that if I bought this with points (as someone on here suggested) then you would receive a receipt with my info as the buyer...

Right? I feel like I should contact Lego

The buyer and ship to are both my name and address on the receipt

are you sure that this one is from EBAY not from your own order from LEGO Shop at Home.

just asking :). when there are multiple deliveries of the same item from different places i do get confused... especially when amazon order arrives... since they don't have any packing slips and i have had instances when occasionally walmart or target misses the packing slip and i am left scratching my head. { then i have to match the tracking number }