Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

You're wrong, unless you mean you'll make a UPS claim for the money to refund the buyer for the damaged item.

As the seller, you are responsible for the item arriving to the buyer in the condition it was described. If your shipping company damages the item, that's on you, and both eBay and PayPal will back the buyer on that.

Re: partial refunds vs. returns - I agree that partial refunds are often the cheaper way to go, but keep in mind that sellers caving to these over and over has created a small percentage of buyers on eBay who claim there's something wrong with everything they get, to get a little money back. Requiring a return for a full refund spikes their guns nicely - they don't want to send stuff back, they want to keep it and get some money back too - so if the buyer is one of these numpties they won't take the offer of a full refund upon return, they'll just go away.

Though I agree that there are those buyers I wouldn't count on it.

Normally it's not a problem to come to an agreement. Of course you can ask the buyer to send you a picture to back up his claim.

And yes there are those buyers who really want the item but in the end it still is your time when they really send it back to you and as I already mentioned the item will not be as good as when you first sent it out.

That's why I would not BET on getting out of it too easy.

As a customer myself I also think that partial refund is a good system.

For example I bought a set for about 300$ and it was listed as NEW and SEALED with little shelfwear and it will be shipped "well packaged".

When it arrived at my place it looked as if the UPS guy took a nap on it and the box was severely damaged.

The sellers idea of "well packaged" seemed to be a thing layer of paper around the LEGO-Box with + writting "fragile" on it.

What I have been looking for was a nice and new lego item + box for my collection. What I got was... something else.

Still it has been good enough to keep it for building though I needed to get a new one now (which really was NEW ;-) ).

So the seller and I came to an agreement which left both of us partial satisfied.

Honestly for me this has been the best solution and for him it might have even been the better solution. If I'd send it back he would have needed to repay me + pay me for returning it and I doubt that he would have been able to resell it for the price that we agreed upon.

So I give you that some people might abuse the function but ont he other hand I came to like it as well.

Ebay is a difficult game to play though!

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted it to be separate from the one before:

You know what's the real funny thing about EBAY?

I mean it's cool that they make you feel (and actually BE) safe as customer but most of the money they earn comes from the sellers.

So actually the Seller is the customer of Ebay and they repay them with what exactly? Okay they have their platform working for you... but I have the feeling that say do hardly anything to really help those people that are actually paying their bill.

(Feel free to disagree with me).

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted it to be separate from the one before:

I mean it's cool that they make you feel (and actually BE) safe as customer but most of the money they earn comes from the sellers.

So actually the Seller is the customer of Ebay and they repay them with what exactly? Okay they have their platform working for you... but I have the feeling that say do hardly anything to really help those people that are actually paying their bill.

With no buyers, nobody would be selling. eBay is protecting it's most valuable asset when they protect their buyers... sellers are a dime-a-dozen.

With no buyers, nobody would be selling. eBay is protecting it's most valuable asset when they protect their buyers... sellers are a dime-a-dozen.

^This. Until and unless eBay does see a significant drop in profits because not enough people are listing items there, they will be more buyer-centric.

Between new sellers, listing promotions, and the like, they seem to be able to keep their profits where their shareholders want them, so losing a hundred sellers and picking up a hundred sellers on any given day is just not a problem for them.

^This. Until and unless eBay does see a significant drop in profits because not enough people are listing items there, they will be more buyer-centric.

Between new sellers, listing promotions, and the like, they seem to be able to keep their profits where their shareholders want them, so losing a hundred sellers and picking up a hundred sellers on any given day is just not a problem for them.

And the reality is that just won't happen. How many people around here sell on eBay despite the risks because eBay has the potential to reach a wider audience and potentially higher profits than Bricklink?

I think that the hardest part is that as a buyer, I've purchased hundreds of items over the years and I've been 100% honest with every seller. The only time I've ever had a problem is when customs delays packages. I once got a refund for something that had been "delayed" approx 8 weeks but when I eventually got it, I emailed the seller and offered to re-pay for the items.

I am pretty sure that we are seen more as the workers for eBay.

"Would you like some fries with that?"

Just a heads up regarding the new user agreement update for paypal USA in November. Buyers will now have 180 days to file an INR or SNAD case starting 11/18/14:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

As tracking is not viewable 180 days out as a seller you will have no way to win an INR case. I am perplexed but this will just hasten my exit from ebay and paypal.

If ebay is down when an auction ends are you obligated to sell at the last bid price or do you get to realist and cancel the sale without problems. Just curious since it seems ebay has been down a lot recently, anyone had this happen?

You are expected to sell at the final bid price.

I've gotten a few bargains in the past when eBay was "down".  Sometimes, for example, web access is down but the iPhone app can still bid.

Someone offered me $85 for my mostly complete(missing 11 pieces and 2 minifigures) 4709 Hogwarts Castle. I'm asking $100. I say no and that I think the $100 is fair. I get curious and look up the EBay member and find that they are selling a few HP older sets for well above BP valuations. Not really a fruitcake but......

• 2 weeks later...