Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Read your other post. I know where you're coming from, but I sincerely believe that as long as the transaction is completed voluntarily by both parties, no one can feel ripped off. Now, the reasons about why the seller is doing it might be shady, who knows, but assuming they are following the law I have no problem with it.

Plus, in the case someone actually buys the $379.00 empty DS box (because really no one would buy the LOTR ship for $9,000, or any set for that matter), once it gets delivered they would get their money back by opening a SNAD case on eBay.

Also, I know some sellers list items at exorbitant prices sometimes when they run out of stock to avoid people buying them while they re-stock. This way they don't have to pull the listing and re-list later.

Why is this weird? The buyer doesn't want to pay your inflated price? Would you?

I don't think you believe what you just said. If following your logic, we should all sell the well kept lego at retail price as bought years ago. In fact, to be fair to everyone we must ensure we end up losing money after all the ebay/pp/postage/storage fees! 

I don't think you believe what you just said. If following your logic, we should all sell the well kept lego at retail price as bought years ago. In fact, to be fair to everyone we must ensure we end up losing money after all the ebay/pp/postage/storage fees!

I absolutely believe what I said. The guy didn't want to pay the inflated price there is no arguing that. I wasn't defending him I was explaining his thought process. If he did want to pay the price he would have bought it and there would be no discussion right?
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Sellers upping prices when running out of stock is common practice and I used to do it.  I ran out once on 4529 Iron Man (too lazy to end and relist) while I was waiting for another 30 to arrive and I changed my BIN to

Okay in that case I will take back whatever I said...

This thought process is something totally new for me (as newbie I'm still allowed to that! ;-) ).

I always thought that when you're out of stock you're out of stock and you're item-offer is ended.

So after all I learned something new! Thanks for the enlightenment! (Though I still don't get everything haha :-) )

I started browsing on eBay for some computer parts recently, found yet another thing that makes my blood boil- people listing items as New Other, then you go to the description and it says "Like new condition, only used for a few hours!"

NO. If you have USED it, then it is USED. It doesn't matter how like new it looks, it's no longer New or New Other. So glad that the Toys category doesn't have the option or we'd be seeing New Other listings like "Grand Emporium, just a thick coating of dust from sitting on my shelf and a few pieces missing from when my dog gnawed on it, other like new!"

• Like 3

Just had a buyer message me and ask if they could pay $20 towards a $50 dollar item now and then another $30 at the end of next week. I didn't realize I offered layaway. I'm starting to reconsider the "best offer" setting.

Well, as a testimony, I've pretty much stopped using Best Offer on all but a few rare times I use it.  If buyers are serious with their offers, they'll send you a private message anyway.

Tonight I had an offer on my listing for 3 used Castle sets and a used Kingdoms set. He left a note with the offer saying my BIN was a bit too high and would I accept his offer plus the shipping.  About a half hour later before I could counter offer he bought it for my original  BIN price. If he waited he would of saved $15.

Tonight I had an offer on my listing for 3 used Castle sets and a used Kingdoms set. He left a note with the offer saying my BIN was a bit too high and would I accept his offer plus the shipping.  About a half hour later before I could counter offer he bought it for my original  BIN price. If he waited he would of saved $15.

People like that always bother me. They are the ones who usually complain about something once received. Good luck to you.

It wasn't a lego item but had a case opened a month after delivery for they say is corner damage. In my description I noted wear and never reported it to be mint.

Will ebay force me to take it back, I replied that sine it took a 3 weeks after delivery to complain it seems a little fishy. I replied to the case, but should I message ebay or call them

As seller most ot the times you're the weaker link so I wouldn't be suprised.

Normally the best way for everybody to solve the problem is to offer the buyer to chose between a partial refund or to send it back to you.

Both ways are not perfect but normally I'd prefer the partial refund, as you will have to pay money for him to send the item back (normally it's in a worse condition afterwards) and you'll have more work with the item.

Offering a small partial refund mostly works pretty well and you still gain some money (though not as much as you would have liked to get...).

In addition I'd like to say that posting a picture of the actual item showing the "damage" always is a good idea on ebay so the buyer knows exactly what he's dealing with.

Thanks

You think some 1 week after delivery rule or something would make sense

I asked for photos, because if it was usps damage I should not be at fault

You're wrong, unless you mean you'll make a UPS claim for the money to refund the buyer for the damaged item.

As the seller, you are responsible for the item arriving to the buyer in the condition it was described. If your shipping company damages the item, that's on you, and both eBay and PayPal will back the buyer on that.

Re: partial refunds vs. returns - I agree that partial refunds are often the cheaper way to go, but keep in mind that sellers caving to these over and over has created a small percentage of buyers on eBay who claim there's something wrong with everything they get, to get a little money back. Requiring a return for a full refund spikes their guns nicely - they don't want to send stuff back, they want to keep it and get some money back too - so if the buyer is one of these numpties they won't take the offer of a full refund upon return, they'll just go away.

• Like 5

Just a reminder starting today sellers on ebay are responsible for return shipping costs when a buyer opens a SNAD case (this applies to items sent internationally purchased on ebay.com as well so factor that into your pricing as international return shipping is quite expensive and add to that customs charges). From the updated user agreement going into effect 9/15/14:

When an item is returned to the seller

• The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

• The seller is required to accept the return at the same location specified in the listing.

• The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility. For return of items with a total cost of $750 or more, we require signature confirmation.

The seller pays for any customs charges on the returned item.

Just a reminder starting today sellers on ebay are responsible for return shipping costs when a buyer opens a SNAD case (this applies to items sent internationally purchased on ebay.com as well so factor that into your pricing as international return shipping is quite expensive and add to that customs charges). From the updated user agreement going into effect 9/15/14:

• The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

• The seller is required to accept the return at the same location specified in the listing.

• The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility. For return of items with a total cost of $750 or more, we require signature confirmation.

O eBay you so dumb.
  • Like 1

Just another good reason for me to not ship internationally. 

If it comes back "different" can't you file a claim that it wasn't returned in came condition? I can't imagine sellers are completely without recourse in times of buyer scams like a buy and switch.

Well that all depends. If the buyer opens a SNAD case, you'll be hard pressed to prove they returned something different unless you can get proof of package dimensions and weight that the post office shipped. If the buyer simply wants to return something, then I'd think you have a case.

It does not seem right that most 30 days after an item is delivered they open a case for damage.

Why not immediately or with some time restriction. This to me seems like buyer remorse.

It's the risk you take selling on eBay. They don't give a s*** about you as a seller as long as they're making $$$. To make their "market" more attractive to buyers of all stripes and ethics they offer very long return periods, rules tend to favor buyers and eBay doesn't advertise how sellers can fight fraudulent claims.

If it comes back "different" can't you file a claim that it wasn't returned in came condition? I can't imagine sellers are completely without recourse in times of buyer scams like a buy and switch.

You can certainly escalate the claim but don't expect ebay to back a seller over a buyer on a he said she said case, and on a regular basis. Remember 2 case strikes and you are permanently banned from selling on ebay so pick your battles wisely and have those backup accounts seasoned and ready to go.

Even if you use GSP if the buyer claims SNAD for any reason other than damage then it becomes a regular return and the seller is responsible for return shipping and customs charges on those returns ( so best to encourage your scammer to state damage so they keep the item for free and let PB eat the cost).

Edited by asharerin
  • Like 1