Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Fruitcake worthy...  Sold a high value set that was missing pieces.  In the title, I say "Incomplete".  In the description, I say "Incomplete.  Only pieces as shown."  The pictures clearly show the lack of certain pieces.  So set is delivered to buyer, receive a message that I didn't include all of the pieces.  I explained that the set is incomplete and to circle the pieces in the pictures that are missing.  He kept circling the manual.  Buyer then proceeded to let me know that "incomplete" means "not built"; it does not mean that pieces are missing.  I explained diplomatically that new sets would then be labelled as incomplete...  Then I was threatened with negative feedback.  And no, this was not an international sale.  

• Sad 8

2 hours ago, trstnkn said:

Fruitcake worthy...  Sold a high value set that was missing pieces.  In the title, I say "Incomplete".  In the description, I say "Incomplete.  Only pieces as shown."  The pictures clearly show the lack of certain pieces.  So set is delivered to buyer, receive a message that I didn't include all of the pieces.  I explained that the set is incomplete and to circle the pieces in the pictures that are missing.  He kept circling the manual.  Buyer then proceeded to let me know that "incomplete" means "not built"; it does not mean that pieces are missing.  I explained diplomatically that new sets would then be labelled as incomplete...  Then I was threatened with negative feedback.  And no, this was not an international sale.  

this sux....sorry it happened cuz you covered all the info that a "reasonable" transaction requires.

When I sell a high priced item, that triggers me to go over in detail in messages anything that is less than perfect (ie box has shelf wear and here are the pictures...set is missing pieces, etc)

I find that folks (and me included) gloss over descriptions in the ad when shopping, but pay much closer attention to PMs (especially after they paid their money). IDK if it will really help against the fruitcakes...but at least their crazy messages (or lack of replies) back will raise flags on my end and I may simply refund and reject the sale...or at least I have some documentation to make my case to Ebay.

2 hours ago, trstnkn said:

I'd take the negative and get ebay to remove it.  Sounds like they may be using feedback extortion which is against ToS.  Without seeing the listing it sounds like everything was completed properly as long as it was marked as used.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, scratchdesk said:

Then I was threatened with negative feedback.

Perfect. That's the absolute worst move that idiot could have made. You'll get it removed whenever they threaten, and you have a chain of diplomacy that eBay can see, but that chain has to include an offer for a full refund, including shipping -- PERIOD. We know it's a leap of faith to take the short-term negative (it will be removed, though), but you have no choice with a high-dollar item. If they complain and the price is $50 or less, I tell them to keep it with a full refund, but I've been in your situation with big tickets, and you have to stand your ground. God-speed man!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, scratchdesk said:

I'd take the negative and get ebay to remove it.  Sounds like they may be using feedback extortion which is against ToS.  Without seeing the listing it sounds like everything was completed properly as long as it was marked as used.

This is an important part because on ebay, New condition items are supposed to be new and complete.  A lot of sellers just ignore this when selling used / incomplete items.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

This is an important part because on ebay, New condition items are supposed to be new and complete.  A lot of sellers just ignore this when selling used / incomplete items.

Thank you all for commiserating.  I definitely labelled it 'used', and I silently cheered when he threatened with negative feedback.  Of course, bark worse than bite, he's done nothing.  

I've had quite a run of fruitcakes lately.  On one set, my description said "a few pieces missing".  The buyer found 3 pieces missing and said that "a few means 2 not 3".  I refunded him $5 and let him go on his merry way.

Then I've had a run of international purchasers claiming that there are cracks or issues with minifigures when I know there are not.  Once I ask for photos in order to make it right, they go silent.

Typically eBay and I coexist well, but lately the crazies have been coming out...

4 hours ago, trstnkn said:

Thank you all for commiserating.  I definitely labelled it 'used', and I silently cheered when he threatened with negative feedback.  Of course, bark worse than bite, he's done nothing.  

I've had quite a run of fruitcakes lately.  On one set, my description said "a few pieces missing".  The buyer found 3 pieces missing and said that "a few means 2 not 3".  I refunded him $5 and let him go on his merry way.

Then I've had a run of international purchasers claiming that there are cracks or issues with minifigures when I know there are not.  Once I ask for photos in order to make it right, they go silent.

Typically eBay and I coexist well, but lately the crazies have been coming out...

With the economy on the downturn, I expect more buyers trying to get extra discounts.  Especially on damaged boxes / incomplete items, even with plenty description and pictures.

On 7/20/2023 at 10:52 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

With the economy on the downturn, I expect more buyers trying to get extra discounts.  Especially on damaged boxes / incomplete items, even with plenty description and pictures.

Just got an extra discount email. Thankfully they went through a channel where eBay eats it. 

image.png.d2288dbdbbb62f1704200442fd37c7b2.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/27/2023 at 5:49 AM, brickvoyeur said:

Just got an extra discount email. Thankfully they went through a channel where eBay eats it. 

image.png.d2288dbdbbb62f1704200442fd37c7b2.png

I've had a few of these and by providing proof of delivery ebay sided in my favor every time.

Apparently 71718 Wu's Battle Dragon is a big player for this. I just received 3 more of these, from 3 different users with 50+ feedback. I assume a single entity has acquired some accounts and is using them to dropship.

They covered the first one without asking me to provide anything. These 3, even though they are delivered and older, are all asking for proof.  All are being challenged by the payment institution, and not at the eBay level. 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Sad 1

On 7/30/2023 at 10:07 PM, oneknightr said:

Saw this title for a completed listing: "Lego Star Wars UCS AT-ST 10174. Complete To My Knowledge."

I'm curious how eBay would handle a dispute by a buyer saying the set was not complete?

I bought a set that had a stock photo and was advertised as being complete and in perfect condition. The set was missing multiple pieces and the white bricks were sun damaged. eBay's solution was for me to post it back but, I managed to come to a resolution with the seller.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CsabaLazlo said:

I bought a set that had a stock photo and was advertised as being complete and in perfect condition. The set was missing multiple pieces and the white bricks were sun damaged. eBay's solution was for me to post it back but, I managed to come to a resolution with the seller.

I would have definitely returned, which I do with any set that smells like smoke.

On 8/3/2023 at 1:55 PM, exciter1 said:

I would have definitely returned, which I do with any set that smells like smoke.

The minifigs that came with it were in good condition and worth more than what I paid so I was prepared to make some compromises :)

Edited by CsabaLazlo
  • Like 1

TL;DR - To charge for shipping or offer free shipping when selling small batches of minifigures?

I just got done with Wal-Mart clearance season and my strategy was to buy sets discounted, sell off the minifigures and keep the remaining pieces to help rebuild my inventory.  When selling smaller things like minifigures (which should have a low shipping cost), what do you do regarding shipping?  I offered free shipping on all my auctions (I did 9 of them so far) as I thought it would get me more visibility and I assumed buyers would take that into account and bid higher.  One Harry Potter Set (Polyjuice Mistake) the 4 MFs only sold for a total of $6.50.  After $4.90 shipping there's little left and it was wasted effort.  However, on Boba Fett's Throne Room, I sold all 7 minifigures for $36 (I know, different theme/audience, different minifigures, not apples to apples here).  But is it generally best practice to charge for shipping?  My feeling is yes, particularly on Polyjuice Mistake.  Even if it had sold for only $2.00, if shipping was covered by buyer I'd have been better off than how I approached it.  Are there certain times to charge for shipping and certain times to offer free?  Just curious what you all do in various selling scenarios on eBay.

The best solution would be to drop the auctions and offer free shipping on BIN. 

If you're set on doing auctions then definitely charge shipping, but chances are your total price isn't going to be much better due to the fact that people actually have to be watching the auction to bid at the last second like they like to do. 10 watchers and 2 bids isn't going to do much for you. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

Got my first negative feedback ebay, it was delivered but he says he didnt get it. Do I have any recourse besides responding?

image.png.d5c0ca97196a9120c8d3cf61c715a1a5.png

You may be protected if Tracking shows delivered, depending on the exact circumstances; you should try reaching out to customer support. 

On 8/7/2023 at 9:06 AM, brickvoyeur said:

The best solution would be to drop the auctions and offer free shipping on BIN.

Yeah, during the pandemic, I was doing auctions almost exclusively. The demand was through the roof - especially for Star Wars due to Mando S1 & S2 hype. Auction prices often exceeded BIN prices - with all the benefits of auctions. Results have been lack-luster for a while, though, so I pivoted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the "We cancelled a sale for your security" email from eBay.  I've received this before, but before I shipped the item.  This time I already shipped it and it's in the USPS network, do they have a mechanism to stop delivery?  If not, I assume eBay eats this, but if not, I'm not out a huge amount.

46 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I got the "We cancelled a sale for your security" email from eBay.  I've received this before, but before I shipped the item.  This time I already shipped it and it's in the USPS network, do they have a mechanism to stop delivery?  If not, I assume eBay eats this, but if not, I'm not out a huge amount.

They will eventually pay if you complain, but not always at first. But usually it's pretty smooth.

image.png.5f2e659c8f2928a61fc0d93c3cff1d6b.png

Buyer went "I don't recognize this transaction" route, and they still sided with them at first before reimbursing me. Apparently the buyer saying they didn't order it still wasn't enough to remove the burden from me. 

A lot of scam purchases coming in recently on eBay. It's slowly approaching FBA levels of fraud. I suppose tight budgets don't remove the consumer need for stuff, and it just brings out the criminal in all of us :)

I added an extra day to my handling time, but still print the label right away. Usually two days after the label is printed, the scammers start their claims. Most of the time the package is still waiting to be mailed.

Is it correcting fraud, or super duper fraud, by mailing an empty polymailer to the fraud buyers once they start their claim? Then eBay can pay me for sending nothing, instead of scammers getting free items. What are they going to do? Put in another claim saying they got the wrong item lol  /s

Edited by brickvoyeur

2 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

You can intercept delivery through USPS, but it costs $. Not sure if eBay will reimburse or not. I have a case pending where eBay cancelled transaction because of possible fraudulent funding and suggested I intercept the package because I had already shipped it, I intercepted it, then the Scammer buyer filed a claim because he did not receive the item.  Now his (0) feedback account does not exist. Not sure where this will end up, but I did receive item back through USPS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

I just got one of these yesterday for a $249 set from 8/6. Buyer is doing a CC chargeback but ebay says: "don't worry you are covered on the seller protection plan".

Yea, I'd say more than half of them at this point come in with this email. The other's ask for proof, which in all but one case the tracking was enough. That last case from my last message took a call.  

But no matter what, the rates have went up considerably. Expect eBay to make it right by raising fees to compensate. 

Edited by brickvoyeur