Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Won Unimog on eBay for somewhat reasonable price (basically MSRP), mint box was promised. The guy ships in the poly bag!  Gah!!! I thought only kmart and amazon does that...

Still sealed, but box took a bit of a beating on the way. Got $25 refund from him (considering that used ones are sold for about that much, did not have enough room to negotiate). But, gah!!!

Not Lego related, but I just bought an out of print board game expansion from ebay.  After checking out, I noticed that at the bottom of the auction they state that they ship everything in a poly mailer to "save the environment" and that boxes are only used upon request.  I'm not sure how using a plastic polybag saves the environment over a cardboard box that's most likely reused, but whatever.  Glad I caught it in time to send them a note to use a box.  That's just asking for trouble, I can't imagine many people would be happy having most items shipped in a poly mailer.

You guys have convinced me.  I'm sending a disclaimer with every EBay purchase from this point forward.

I disappointingly had a send back a Tower of Orthanc I bought for $167 shipped, because it reeked of cigarette smoke.  I even found a discarded cigarette pack wrapper in the LEGO factory box they shipped it in. CRAZY!!!

Actually, it did happen to me before(not even poly bag - just a paper wrap around the box), but seller was like: "oh, i was out, had to ask my wife to ship". Got discount there as well, but sour taste in the mouth remained...

I also have had paper wrapped Lego sets from eBay. Amazingly, they arrived in mint condition.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=121370185497

Ok, so let me get this straight... people, and not just top 0 feedback ones, are willing to buy 10240 X wing for full msrp from 0 feedback seller, shipping from china, claiming to ship from Sydney. Just wow... people must be really desperate... I assume 0 feedback buyer is going to try to scam 0 feedback seller, who is probably scammer himself. Or this is "second best offer" scam?

You guys have convinced me.  I'm sending a disclaimer with every EBay purchase from this point forward.

I disappointingly had a send back a Tower of Orthanc I bought for $167 shipped, because it reeked of cigarette smoke.  I even found a discarded cigarette pack wrapper in the LEGO factory box they shipped it in. CRAZY!!!

That sounds like a smokin' deal!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok someone misread the description or didn't read at all.  I had a generic picture up.  What do you do if the buyer is kind of wrong in the feedback?  thanks.  There is a report buyer icon but report him for what.  they are enttled to their opinion even if it is wrong imo.

Did the generic picture include something not that wasn't included in what you sold?

Ok someone misread the description or didn't read at all.  I had a generic picture up.  What do you do if the buyer is kind of wrong in the feedback?  thanks.  There is a report buyer icon but report him for what.  they are enttled to their opinion even if it is wrong imo.

There are instances when ebay will remove it, but we would need to know more details to say whether it can be removed.

Assume buyers don't read anything is what I've learned. I sell other things on ebay where I specifically tell people to check my other items for larger quantity packages if they want to save money and they still order many of the single items and pay significantly more. I call it the illiterate tax in those cases.

But challenge it through ebay. Stock photos are used all the time for things that are not perfect on ebay. That's what the description and titles should clear up. Now, if you have a stock photo, list them item as "new", and don't say otherwise in the title, I would side with the buyer since they shouldn't have to dig through the description if there is something different that what is typically sold in the category and what they would expect from a typical search to compare identical items.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but this thread needed to be resurrected for the following auction. This is awesome. Only asking $500 OBO. Hey, it just be a deal since AFA "U" graded it. Yes folks, someone mailed AFA an unopened Batman JetSki poly and paid them to open, build, grade,and encase it.

Who the heck pays another person to build a Lego set. Jeez. Don't get me started... u grade. JOKE.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-mini-figure-vehicle-BATMAN-with-JetSki-were-graded-/301290180515?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item46264b4fa3

Update : I hope the flippers and flick missile heads fall off the BatSki. Oh, I'm livid.

post-3743-0-38217300-1409014799_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I'm sorry but this thread needed to be resurrected for the following auction. This is awesome. Only asking $500 OBO. Hey, it just be a deal since AFA "U" graded it. Yes folks, someone mailed AFA an unopened Batman JetSki poly and paid them to open, build, grade,and encase it.

Who the heck pays another person to build a Lego set. Jeez. Don't get me started... u grade. JOKE.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-mini-figure-vehicle-BATMAN-with-JetSki-were-graded-/301290180515?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item46264b4fa3

Update : I hope the flippers and flick missile heads fall off the BatSki. Oh, I'm livid.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's crazy, don't they know that you lose half the sets value once you open it. They should have just graded the poly;)

Who the heck pays another person to build a Lego set. Jeez. Don't get me started... u grade. JOKE.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-mini-figure-vehicle-BATMAN-with-JetSki-were-graded-/301290180515?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item46264b4fa3

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wait for someone to buy it. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

It will be on Pawn Stars next week and Rick will offer a dollar for it.

• Like 2

I'm failing to understand the rage and derision. :) If someone wants to go to the trouble and expense and test the market for this kind of thing, why is that bad? I don't see the seller making any false claims in his description, or claiming that it's worth that amount for bogus reasons.

This kind of grading will either take off (I doubt it) or not (probably) in the LEGO market, but all markets start somewhere if they're going to start and provided the sellers are honest it's pretty much up to the buyers to determine what the market will be and what the market will bear.

• Like 1

Anybody here deal with legowalterman on ebay?  I feel it's ok to put the name here as I'm not bashing him, but asking if he/she has purchased from any of you, or if he/she is here.  They have asked for me to send them an offer for all the sets I have for sale on ebay right now.  It only 4 listings of some old sets, but it's several hundred dollars we're talking about here.  Just wanted to see if anybody has sold to them.  Thanks.

Sometimes fruitcakes work in your favor. Guy buys three items. Shipping is 30 bucks. Guys address is around the corner. Free thirty bucks.

If you mean you're dropping off in person, it's also a free three items for him if he opens a PayPal claim, since you can't prove delivery in a way PayPal will accept.

OTOH, he probably won't want to mess with an LEO gym rat who lives around the corner from him. ;)

Sometimes fruitcakes work in your favor. Guy buys three items. Shipping is 30 bucks. Guys address is around the corner. Free thirty bucks.

I had someone buy three giant sets in a row. 3 days apart. International buyer so shipping was expensive (and I charge a substantial handling fee for the time, etc. to ship internationally).

I sent him a message and told him that he should let me know everything he wants next time to save him shipping.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm OCD and I can't stand seeing one of the flaps not properly attached.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I would have to agree with justafrog on this one

I'm failing to understand the rage and derision. :) If someone wants to go to the trouble and expense and test the market for this kind of thing, why is that bad? I don't see the seller making any false claims in his description, or claiming that it's worth that amount for bogus reasons.

This kind of grading will either take off (I doubt it) or not (probably) in the LEGO market, but all markets start somewhere if they're going to start and provided the sellers are honest it's pretty much up to the buyers to determine what the market will be and what the market will bear.

I only see this benefitting us in the secondary market in the long run by showing more value in what we do. Now, don't get me wrong, I personally wouldn't get a polybag graded like this but something more along the lines of a cloud city Boba Fett or a Mr. Gold would make way more sense to me.