Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

2 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

I had one sale in the same city and a couple about 15 mins away. It could be coincidence, but I know some people sort/filter by distance. I was very tempted to deliver it myself as well, but I figured it might be kind of creepy to the buyer. I didn't even think about the eBay tracking ding. :)

That's a good point. I didn't consider the creep factor in doing that. I'm in Green Bay, which has a population of just over 100k. People here are generally pretty nice and down to earth. Now that you mention it though, I never answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone, so it would probably come across as a little creepy. 

3 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Print out a first class mailing label, put it on an envelope, send it. In the meantime, drop off package at the door. Save on postage, gets there quicker. No ding on Ebay.

You sir, are what they refer to as, a "problem solver and a go getter".

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

That's a good point. I didn't consider the creep factor in doing that. I'm in Green Bay, which has a population of just over 100k. People here are generally pretty nice and down to earth. Now that you mention it though, I never answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone, so it would probably come across as a little creepy. 

"Hey neighbor, I got your package right here!" Not creepy at all. :P

2SNLcuN06.jpg

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

I had one sale in the same city and a couple about 15 mins away. It could be coincidence, but I know some people sort/filter by distance. I was very tempted to deliver it myself as well, but I figured it might be kind of creepy to the buyer. I didn't even think about the eBay tracking ding. :)

I've had that happen a couple times lol. 

1 hour ago, terrymc4677 said:

Not a fruitcake but an odd occurrence. I just sold an 850487 Halloween Graveyard Scene on eBay to somebody who lives in my same city. I just looked up their address and it is literally four blocks away from my house. I'm tempted to walk it over there right now and blow them away with extremely fast and efficient service. That would be a fun experience. I will still need to mail it though because eBay requires a tracking number to be uploaded or else I get dinged. Out of the thousands of sales I have made online, this is the first I can remember coming from my city. Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

I have this same set listed on my local Craig's for a better price. If they would have just checked there we both could have saved some money. I'll put a thank you note on their package and inform them of my items on there.

I had one instance on ebay where someone bought something from me in my town, and we were actually aquaintences. The guy owned a local store in town, so I refunded him the shipping it was going to cost me and I delivered it directly to him at his shop. He wasn't creeped out, thought it was funny and liked the refund and fast delivery. If I wouldn't have known him, I probably would not have done it.

Edited by Kevink24

7 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Both decent songs, I like Radiohead more though.  Both apply...creep

I love the Radiohead Pablo Honey album. I spent many a study hall in high school listening to that disc on my disc man while sleeping. Hearing it today still gives me chills. Great album. Thanks for posting. Brings me back. Damn. I'm forty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

Not a fruitcake but an odd occurrence. I just sold an 850487 Halloween Graveyard Scene on eBay to somebody who lives in my same city. I just looked up their address and it is literally four blocks away from my house. I'm tempted to walk it over there right now and blow them away with extremely fast and efficient service. That would be a fun experience. I will still need to mail it though because eBay requires a tracking number to be uploaded or else I get dinged. Out of the thousands of sales I have made online, this is the first I can remember coming from my city. Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

I have this same set listed on my local Craig's for a better price. If they would have just checked there we both could have saved some money. I'll put a thank you note on their package and inform them of my items on there.

I've done this before. It wasn't appreciated. Lol. Wouldn't recommend unless you actually know the person.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2017 at 8:53 AM, lego rules said:

So how is this scam working?  Someone hacks someone's ebay and paypal account and changes the shipping address to their own?

Usually it is obvious as they send you some stupid email about needing you to send it to another address. I simply tell them I only send to approved address as I print the labels directly from EBay, if the person seems like they are actually sending a gift, I let them know they can add an address in eBay but I will wait 48 hours to send their item when I usually send it in 24 hours.

It usually is very obvious. 

Here is an actual scam email I got today for an elves tree house set sold for a whole $61.00

An hour later the real person sent me a message, do not send, his account was hacked. Also the eBay account was a name that indicated he was Hispanic, and his English grammar was perfect, it would be highly unlikely his brothers name is Ygor

Please sent my order to my brother(it's gift for him!) to:
Receiver name - Ygor Sergess
(Address was deleted)
Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

You guys make me laugh.

When it happened to me, I sent a note (via eBay) and explained that I lived nearby and if they were interested I could hand deliver the package.

The buyer was cool with the option. I delivered (and snapped photos).

I just marked it as shipped on eBay and all was good.

I have also, a few days before Christmas the past 2 years I had purchases within 10 min of me. I emailed the buyer and asked if they just wanted me to meet them. Worked great, they gave feedback while I was there. One lady owned a kids clothing store and even wrote out a receipt before I got there as she thought it would help.

I do snap photos of the box with their license plate before they even notice though. I worked as a government inspector/scientist for 7 years, and learned not to trust anyone and how to take photos that would even hold up in court!

• Like 1

We had a BrickLink order once that was to a house on the street on the other side of the back wall of our business park.  Literally 100 yards from our shop.  Had to drive around the block to deliver it, but that was crazy.  And it wasn't someone that knew us through the community, it was truly a coincidence.  Talk about small world...

Edited by DadsAFOL
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

I've dropped a parcel off about 10 times through ebay sales.  Didnt even mention i was the seller so i think they assumed i was the courier.  I could have done it a couple of more times but just posted it as wasnt going that way even though it was only 10 minutes (between 2-3 miles) drive away. 

One time i had delivered the parcel within 2 hours of ordering because i was going that way for work.

I've also done local delivery in past on ebay when buyer was a short distance away.

But beware...If you do a local delivery, and the buyer opens a Item Not received case, you will lose 99% of the time if you do not have a tracking number which shows the item as shipped. It does not matter if you have a note saying item was signed by the buyer, or a picture / video confirming pick up etc as paypal will automatically decide in favor of buyer, as the only thing paypal cares about is tracking number.

What I've done in the past which has worked for me is to print out the ebay sale invoice, get the buyer to sign / date confirming receipt of goods as described in listing, and then taking a copy of this and posting 2nd class signed for. This way a tracking number gets uploaded to paypal. However, there is a risk with this, as there has been cases where even if you do this a seller can lose out if the buyer wants to pull a scam. It just depends on everyone's risk / reward scale.  

On 2/9/2017 at 1:19 PM, KShine said:

So, I responded - let's see what kind of pleasant response I receive.

First off, I was not lying (suggesting that was offensive, and is not the best way to convince someone to care about helping you out). Second, I was able to confirm that we did receive an extra set (which you could have just waited to find out) - You can either send me a return label, send me $15 to send it back to you myself, or send me the address of the person who ends up buying it (and I could ship it straight to them, saving you the extra shipping costs).

Update:

The seller sent me $15, and then sent me a msg, saying that they choose to have the set shipped back to them.

A couple days later (after they received the set), they sent another msg saying that the package was received well, and saying that they were sorry for all the problems and insinuation.

So while the seller should never have attacked (assuming, and expressing their assumption), and the temptation to attack back can be strong -  it usually works out best by de-escalating things.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

I've also done local delivery in past on ebay when buyer was a short distance away.

But beware...If you do a local delivery, and the buyer opens a Item Not received case, you will lose 99% of the time if you do not have a tracking number which shows the item as shipped. It does not matter if you have a note saying item was signed by the buyer, or a picture / video confirming pick up etc as paypal will automatically decide in favor of buyer, as the only thing paypal cares about is tracking number.

What I've done in the past which has worked for me is to print out the ebay sale invoice, get the buyer to sign / date confirming receipt of goods as described in listing, and then taking a copy of this and posting 2nd class signed for. This way a tracking number gets uploaded to paypal. However, there is a risk with this, as there has been cases where even if you do this a seller can lose out if the buyer wants to pull a scam. It just depends on everyone's risk / reward scale.  

I understand the scam aspect of delivering local.  Its a judgement call.  Most of my local deliveries are toys sold just before xmas valued between £10 - £50 and most people are honest.   

Anyway i got a brother who know someone who knows someone who knows what to do in these circumstances.  

I would actually put it down to a loss if the buyer tried to scam.

Just now, KShine said:

Update:

The seller sent me $15, and then sent me a msg, saying that they choose to have the set shipped back to them.

A couple days later (after they received the set), they sent another msg saying that the package was received well, and saying that they were sorry for all the problems and insinuation.

Everyone can get worked up in the heat of the moment.  You did the right thing. Well done. 

I had to (didnt have to but did anyway) apologise to my spouse for raising my voice after the kids denting / creasing a mint 42043 Mercedes-Benz Arocs) box yesterday.  They pulled the lego box out of the parcel box so they could hide in it.  My fault for leaving it in the living room and forgetting kids will be kids.

Its easier to blame others than to accept responsibility for our own miscalculations.   FFS i was only out for two minutes dropping my niece home.

• Like 1