Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

6 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Kshine said he hadn't seen it, but would check with other family members, that's very different from saying he knew nothing about the extra item as if he was hiding something.

The seller was then an arse and doesn't deserve any sympathy if he doesn't get the set back, he brought it on himself.

It's very easy to get a package and not notice there's something else in there, you see what you're looking for, especially if it's for resale and the box was put straight into storage. This happened to me recently, didn't notice that Tesco has sent me 4 of a set instead of three. I didn't notice the fourth set hidden under packaging once I'd checked for the 3 I'd ordered.

not that my opinion matters, but i disagree:

when amazon buyer claims item not received when tracking shows delivered 

we seller usually respond: 

" please check with your neighbors & family members" [ do we really mean that or we know/assumed that the buyer is lying. and we want to persuade buyer to change their position ] same can be said here.

2. why did he leave +ve feedback if he hasn't seen the item. [ just because it was marked delivered ]

Edited by newbie77

1 minute ago, Sprocket77 said:

Kshine said he hadn't seen it, but would check with other family members, that's very different from saying he knew nothing about the extra item as if he was hiding something.

The seller was then an arse and doesn't deserve any sympathy if he doesn't get the set back, he brought it on himself.

It's very easy to get a package and not notice there's something else in there, you see what you're looking for, especially if it's for resale and the box was put straight into storage. This happened to me recently, didn't notice that Tesco has sent me 4 of a set instead of three. I didn't notice the fourth set hidden under packaging once I'd checked for the 3 I'd ordered.

I've had the reverse happen to me the other day as I was working through 3 different orders of (parts of) 71006. I swore I had seen an extra telephone cabinet in my packages somewhere, but after all my inventorization and sorting I couldn't find it. Of course my middle-aged brain started doubting I had received it in the first place, so I asked the seller if he could do a check on his end. He obliged (plus explained how he packed before even listing, straight after making a picture), and let me know he did not see it. Of course, a day later I find the item back hidden in a bin with other furniture items. Did let him know I found it.

2 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Exactly - I had initially checked the item in the box to confirm that it was as expected, but hadn't removed it or discarded the packing materials, etc yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KShine said:

Exactly - I had initially checked the item in the box to confirm that it was as expected, but hadn't removed it or discarded the packing materials, etc yet.

again, you want the other side to give you benefit of doubt but you are not willing to do the same.

as i said before: [ unbiased view is: that perception has been muddied. its not your fault that the seller sent extra item. you are not obligated to return. but the right thing to do is to ask for the prepaid label and return without holding anything or damaging etc.]

but as a seller if that had happened to me, i would perceive that you would be lying for following reason:

a. you gave me "+ve feedback" after receiving an item [ i mean common: will you believe your buyer that they just opened the box and don't check the content i.e. lego set or part or whatever you ordered. didn't open or weigh and/or verify. and just left "+ve" feedback. ]?

b. you just gave me the runaround that i as a seller use when they claim what i perceive to be false :) as i cited before.

lets just change a-parameter. instead of extra item what if the other side of the lego set box was cut and the content was not what it should be. i.e. the seller was a scammer.

now as a buyer what would you do? tell the seller that you received damaged item after you have left a "+ve" feedback of receiving the item?

Edited by newbie77

5 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

" please check with your neighbors & family members" [ do we really mean that or we know/assumed that the buyer is lying. and we want to persuade buyer to change their position ]

Even if you have suspicions, no descent seller (or person) would call their buyer a liar in that manner. You should at least allow the buyer (even if they are lying) the opportunity to decide to do the right thing (while saving face). This wouldn't even be an issue if not for the fact that they behaved so badly.

As far as you trying to say that I did something wrong here - that is ridiculous.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

That's why I stated "unethical" in my previous comment ;-)

I was badly screwed out of £500 by a seller back in 2006 for 2x 1oz Krugerrands that were sent to the WRONG address by the Royal Mail and somehow obtained a delivery signature from somebody who wasn't me. Because the seller supposedly put my correct address on the package, eBay refused to refund my £500. Even though it was a "postal error", it was still deemed to be my fault and eBay closed the case in his favour. The seller then started to receive lots of negative feedback from other buyers and then disappeared off eBay so something dodgy was going on. At least it was a business seller with a valid address stated on his profile so a few of us drove 50 miles North and paid him a visit. My £500 was quickly recovered in cash without anybody being hurt. The police didn't want to know and a solicitor wanted £250 up front to start proceedings leaving me little choice. Think about it, how pissed off would you have been?

Luckily there's been so serious issues like this since, but I'll fight my corner if I need to.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 17.36.50.png

I might buy a set of you and return a bunch of friends / nexo knights sets as i know you love them :p 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KShine said:

Even if you have suspicions, no descent seller (or person) would call their buyer a liar in that manner. You should at least allow the buyer (even if they are lying) the opportunity to decide to do the right thing (while saving face). This wouldn't even be an issue if not for the fact that they behaved so badly.

As far as you trying to say that I did something wrong here - that is ridiculous.

@KShine as i said before my opinion doesn't matter. i am just trying to explain to you how your action can be perceived [ when i don't have my $ in the game which is i am unbiased i.e. i don't have a dog in the fight ]

when dealing online with people we don't know; its all about perception. and how we handle ourself in the way we communicate.

whether you want to accept that "oh yeah. i didn't think that way. but it could very well be perceived in that sense." that's your call. 

again, 

a.  you should never leave "+ve" feedback unless you know you have verified everything yourself. again what would you have done if the set was missing contents after you have left "+ve" feedback? and how would you be perceived?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

a. you gave me "+ve feedback" after receiving an item [ i mean common: will you believe your buyer that they just opened the box and don't check the content i.e. lego set or part or whatever you ordered. didn't open or weigh and/or verify. and just left "+ve" feedback. ]?

Actually, people leave feedbacks before checking their items carefully, a lot of the time.  

In any case, accusing your buyer liar is going to make his cooperation less likely and you need the buyer cooperation if you really want to see the item back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Actually, people leave feedbacks before checking their items carefully, a lot of the time.  

In any case, accusing your buyer liar is going to make his cooperation less likely and you need the buyer cooperation if you really want to see the item back.

Some people leave feedback as soon as they pay for an item (I guess they must be really excited about an item).

• Like 1

I'm with Tabby on this one. The seller should have just let it go.

Done this myself before by sending the wrong Dimensions set to a customer, then sent the correct one and told him to keep and enjoy the other. The feedback he posted was "awesome seller! Thanks so much dude".

He now follows what I post and is a constant customer.

16 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

@KShine as i said before my opinion doesn't matter. i am just trying to explain to you how your action can be perceived [ when i don't have my $ in the game which is i am unbiased i.e. i don't have a dog in the fight ]

when dealing online with people we don't know; its all about perception. and how we handle ourself in the way we communicate.

whether you want to accept that "oh yeah. i didn't think that way. but it could very well be perceived in that sense." that's your call. 

again, 

a.  you should never leave "+ve" feedback unless you know you have verified everything yourself. again what would you have done if the set was missing contents after you have left "+ve" feedback? and how would you be perceived?

It's not about opinions mattering, it's about the process....

Kshine could have just left the message to sit and simmer while he "investigated" but he thought he did something that we generally refer to as "common courtesy" and replied quickly that he was unaware and would check on it. As a seller, I would completely appreciate a quick reply like that and NEVER call my buyer a liar.

THAT is good communication. THAT is dealing with the initial perception that you may not have been honest in a POLITE and COURTEOUS manner. Maybe he got it in the morning while he was at work and wouldn't have been able to check until later that evening? Now the seller thinks... hmmm, the buyer seems to be ignoring me, now I think he's trying to figure out what to say.

Frankly, sounds like the seller was just being a big ole d.i.c.k and no matter what Kshine did it wouldn't have been good enough unless he replied "Sorry, I'm an idiot for forgetting to tell you about that. I already sent that back to you at my own expense because you're a such a nice guy."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

you are correct on both point.

as i mentioned repeatedly, 

a. when you leave a feedback then if there is something wrong with the item closes the door for you to go back. just talking about common sense. it will be one of those things. where everyone of this forum has pointed that the buyer is trying to scam because he left a "+ve feedback" for the item and now complains bags missing. its been said before :)

48 minutes ago, gregpj said:

It's not about opinions mattering, it's about the process....

Kshine could have just left the message to sit and simmer while he "investigated" but he thought he did something that we generally refer to as "common courtesy" and replied quickly that he was unaware and would check on it. As a seller, I would completely appreciate a quick reply like that and NEVER call my buyer a liar.

THAT is good communication. THAT is dealing with the initial perception that you may not have been honest in a POLITE and COURTEOUS manner. Maybe he got it in the morning while he was at work and wouldn't have been able to check until later that evening? Now the seller thinks... hmmm, the buyer seems to be ignoring me, now I think he's trying to figure out what to say.

Frankly, sounds like the seller was just being a big ole d.i.c.k and no matter what Kshine did it wouldn't have been good enough unless he replied "Sorry, I'm an idiot for forgetting to tell you about that. I already sent that back to you at my own expense because you're a such a nice guy."

you don't get + point for sending "conflicting response" and creating different perception. my personal opinion, rather wait 4-8-12 hours whatever needed to verify and respond rather than instantaneous response where in the heat of moment any one can say anything which they will regret later.

i am sure in this case the seller is regretting what he said if he really wants the item from @KShine.

in this case @KShine, he is ahead in the game. other side wants something from him. so he can say whatever he wants and still get ahead.   if and only if that item itself  was somehow not what @KShine was expecting and after leaving "+ve" feedback not sure how he would retrace his steps.

1 hour ago, KShine said:

Some people leave feedback as soon as they pay for an item (I guess they must be really excited about an item).

again, point becomes if we are to give any validity to the feedback when things don't go our way as a seller. then we have to take it in the same context.

with that feedback they probably lose their credibility if things go wrong and as a seller one would have upper hand.[feeding the scammers ] 

Edited by newbie77

3 hours ago, biking_tiger said:

So my auction closed on Sunday night. No message, payment, or contact with the buyer. I send the customary eBay invoice Monday morning. Nothing. This bidder has been a member for years with a feedback score of 100. 

This morning, I receive a "I did not receive my item" message from the high bidder. "Please provide the tracking number."

Um, no. Not until I see payment thank you very much. My real reply:

"Hello. I am happy to supply a tracking number once this item is paid for and shipped. The auction ended Sunday (February 5, 2017), and I am still awaiting payment. The item will ship promptly once payment is received. Please let me know if you have any questions, and have a good day." 

I grow tired of buyer shenanigans on all platforms. Either I am getting older and grumpier, or more scammers are trying to game the system. Maybe both. 

here is a new one.  or maybe not...

Buyer bought item from me and used Echeck (over the weekend)

cancelled Echeck on monday and Ebay automatically changed the sale to print shipping label now. 

this is a new way they will try to scam us from the items becareful boys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Migration said:

Keep item. Report seller.

actually you are right :) its "the sellers' fault" and started this mess anyway.

one is not obligated to return :).

seller can ban you but who wants to deal with those people who are giving free stuffs anyway

Edited by newbie77

1 hour ago, thebrickdad said:

I'm with Tabby on this one. The seller should have just let it go.

Done this myself before by sending the wrong Dimensions set to a customer, then sent the correct one and told him to keep and enjoy the other. The feedback he posted was "awesome seller! Thanks so much dude".

He now follows what I post and is a constant customer.

best way. 

but i believe we all learned that hard way. how long does it take us to do that?

{ some sellers don't have that when they start out or they are just not being professional and/or taking responsibility of their action }

actually you are right its "the sellers' fault" and started this mess anyway.
one is not obligated to return

I guess I've simply lost all patience for sellers that behave in less than a professional manner. After the "I'm not sure, let me check" email the correct response from the seller would have been something along the lines of "cool, thank you so much for checking" By calling a customer a liar out of the gate this seller becomes all that is wrong with eBay.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, vexxet said:

here is a new one.  or maybe not...

Buyer bought item from me and used Echeck (over the weekend)

cancelled Echeck on monday and Ebay automatically changed the sale to print shipping label now. 

this is a new way they will try to scam us from the items becareful boys.

yup especially in bricklink. watch out.

i have had those things. usually with e-check it takes 4-7 days to clear and its in the paypal confirmation. it will say payment pending.

sometimes its an honest mistake as i have been told that they used their checking account and not the credit-card from their account. 

but all of those buyers have yet to be repeat buyers so i don't know what that means. :) but whenever i get e-check payment i write to buyer informing that 

"hey this is what paypal says" so although item is packed i am not shipping it until after 24hours that funds has been posted in my account.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Mhd747 said:

I might buy a set of you and return a bunch of friends / nexo knights sets as i know you love them :P

How can you if you're blocked? ;-)

If you're really that stressed about being called names online (lol, I mean really, is this worth all the stress you're putting on it, it's a fricken' word bro, for a $30 set just let it slide and block the seller, its not worth your hassle... that's my opinion) it's certainly not unheard of to have ebay reverse feedback ratings in your favour as a seller. I bet you if you called up their CS, pointed out the message conversation, and explained your opinion, they'd let you change your feedback to negative or neutral given how it played out for you. Have you tried this yet? It's great to ask the forum of resellers how they'd deal with it, but I assure you that it's biased, even if people are telling both sides of the coin, it's biased. Let ebay deal with it, that's what we pay them these insane fees for, to help us out with problems like this. 

My $0.02 while stuck in traffic.

Did seller make mistake? Yes
Was seller rude?
Yes
Does that give Kshine the right to ignore/punish/get revenge against the seller?

Is this tooth for a tooth, or eye for a tooth?

I think keeping the set and ignoring the seller would be an extreme reaction to an unpleasant email. Some people have thick skin (Phil) can keep their integrity, peace of mind and move on with life. Others are fragile and well... have a hard time dealing with their emotions.

Ethically, there's no room for revenge. I think asking for an apology and a return slip is adequate. No need to lecture them if they're not going to apologize. Getting them to apologize means they have to admit their mistake and their rudeness. For some, that's heaping on burning stones enough.

If he refuses to apologize, then your dealing with a sociopath and you should avoid like the plague. Better to send the package back as they know your address. They may drive 50 miles to your house to get their set back. That would be an escalation I would not like to see.

• Like 2