Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I think any seller is opening themselves up to issues if they are using "as is" and "use the pictures to determine condition" as a catch all for any possible problem.  It is not wrong to use these terms but they need to be qualified.  E.g. "As is" because there is no guarantee set is complete or "as is" because some pieces might be in fair condition.  Yes, buyers should ask questions if they are suspicious, but there is no way a buyer can cover every possible issue if a seller has a misleading or misrepresented listing.

PhilB - I would definitely reach out and either suggest a solution or let the seller offer one.  If they don't offer a satisfactory one, tell them you are disappointed and tell them you will file for a return.  The seller should be able to figure out that they would incur return costs and have to sell it at a much reduced price due to the glue.  If they seem clueless, point this out.  I only would file for a return if they seem uncooperative/unresponsive.

Just my two cents...

• Like 1

So I had a little back-and-forth with the seller and we settled on a return with him paying shipping. He asks me to go to the Resolution Center to set this up. Does this mean I need to file SNAD as the reason - I don't want to saddle him up with unnecessary trouble?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. BTW, Seller sells more items "For Parts", including an ISD: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-6211-Imperial-Star-Destroyer-For-Parts/201775419446 for $100. He doesn't mention glued parts, so if you're one of the 27 watching this listing better make sure you ask tons of questions. He indicated to me in our conversation that he had expected me to ask questions .... duh.

Edited by Phil B

2 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

"WE HAVE DESCRIBED THIS ITEM TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILITY"

Hmmm? Have you really? I think you let him off the hook? I'd have SNAD it just because he's trying to be dishonest.

I filed a return request citing something like "Description and Photo don't match item" - Isn't that what SNAD is?

Guest TabbyBoy

I just sent this to the seller:

I'm based in the UK but, currently in NJ on business. Can you please confirm that these parts are in fact useable as I did buy a 10221 Super Star Destroyer off another buyer in TX last year but, most of the pieces were glued together making it useless to me. I had to open a case with eBay to successfully obtain a full refund. Thanks!

UNQUOTE

Just now, MarleyMoose said:

Yes I guess it does. I misunderstood "AKA Didn't fully read" you're post. Glad you're getting your $ money back. 

That's what he's promising. I had also earned $10 in EBay Bucks on this item during the last promo, with a little luck I get to keep those (at least that's what happened in past cancellation cases).

6 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I just sent this to the seller:

I'm based in the UK but, currently in NJ on business. Can you please confirm that these parts are in fact useable as I did buy a 10221 Super Star Destroyer off another buyer in TX last year but, most of the pieces were glued together making it useless to me. I had to open a case with eBay to successfully obtain a full refund. Thanks!

UNQUOTE

Love it, just don't get me into any trouble until I've received my refund, please :)

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Love it, just don't get me into any trouble until I've received my refund, please :)

Here's the reply...

hello, parts may be glued, not sure, that is why this set is being offered as a for parts or restoration set.if you are unsure please do not purchase this set.

UNQUOTE

If I was selling something unfamiliar, I'd check it properly before listing it.

18 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Here's the reply...

hello, parts may be glued, not sure, that is why this set is being offered as a for parts or restoration set.if you are unsure please do not purchase this set.

UNQUOTE

If I was selling something unfamiliar, I'd check it properly before listing it.

Thanks Tabby!

Final question for you in my fruitcake seller saga:

So I have received a return label and am ready to send the set back. However, the set is now completely taken apart into individual bricks (some of the furniture builds are still intact, and of course all the Kragled bits) - I needed to inspect how much of it was glued. I mentioned this to him in one of the emails, but didn't spell it out loud and clear. Do I just send it back, or does that open me up to some sort of reduced refund?

I'm not in the mood to go and build the entire set (especially not since the set came without manual #2, but that was clearly mentioned in the listing), but I don't want to give him any reason to refuse a full refund. Tips?

5 hours ago, Phil B said:

Final question for you in my fruitcake seller saga:

So I have received a return label and am ready to send the set back. However, the set is now completely taken apart into individual bricks (some of the furniture builds are still intact, and of course all the Kragled bits) - I needed to inspect how much of it was glued. I mentioned this to him in one of the emails, but didn't spell it out loud and clear. Do I just send it back, or does that open me up to some sort of reduced refund?

I'm not in the mood to go and build the entire set (especially not since the set came without manual #2, but that was clearly mentioned in the listing), but I don't want to give him any reason to refuse a full refund. Tips?

Geez. You are letting this guy get away with being a lazy dishonest deceitful seller. I would just open a SNAD case with eBay and let them handle it for you. They will force the seller to issue a full refund and pay for shipping. This guy is not going to learn and will likely do this to other buyers. It takes seconds to add a sentence in the description about glue to his listings. He needs to know "as is" is not a blanket protected term allowing him to screw with buyers. Lego parts implies lego PARTS, not glued hunks of plastic. He's intentionally being lazy and deceitful. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PurpleSnurple said:

Geez. You are letting this guy get away with being a lazy dishonest deceitful seller. I would just open a SNAD case with eBay and let them handle it for you. They will force the seller to issue a full refund and pay for shipping. This guy is not going to learn and will likely do this to other buyers. It takes seconds to add a sentence in the description about glue to his listings. He needs to know "as is" is not a blanket protected term allowing him to screw with buyers. Lego parts implies lego PARTS, not glued hunks of plastic. He's intentionally being lazy and deceitful. 

^^^

THIS.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PurpleSnurple said:

18 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

^^^

THIS.

It is clear that this is my first time dealing with a situation like this. I went to the Resolution Center and requested a return based on "Item not as described". How is this different from the magical "SNAD" and what would I need to do to open up a SNAD case? As you can see, I'm a nice guy and always worry about doing things wrong. Guess that makes me a good seller, but I want to not do anything that can be held against me when it comes to getting my money back. I've got a return label and seller is paying for all costs. I just want to understand what would happen if he decides to partially refund me because I took apart whatever was built and shipped it back that way.

• Like 1

So I had a little back-and-forth with the seller and we settled on a return with him paying shipping. He asks me to go to the Resolution Center to set this up. Does this mean I need to file SNAD as the reason - I don't want to saddle him up with unnecessary trouble?
EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. BTW, Seller sells more items "For Parts", including an ISD: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-6211-Imperial-Star-Destroyer-For-Parts/201775419446 for $100. He doesn't mention glued parts, so if you're one of the 27 watching this listing better make sure you ask tons of questions. He indicated to me in our conversation that he had expected me to ask questions .... duh.

Honestly I want to buy that just to SNAD this guy. It's listings like this that give a bad name to eBay sellers.
  • Like 5

Guest TabbyBoy

VERY IMPORTANT - Make sure that you have separate buyer and seller and private and business accounts especially on eBay. It's a lot to manage but, reduces the chance of "revenge" if a seller wants his own back one day. I don't hesitate to open a SNAD case or leave negative feedback if I feel it's necessary.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

It is clear that this is my first time dealing with a situation like this. I went to the Resolution Center and requested a return based on "Item not as described". How is this different from the magical "SNAD" and what would I need to do to open up a SNAD case? As you can see, I'm a nice guy and always worry about doing things wrong. Guess that makes me a good seller, but I want to not do anything that can be held against me when it comes to getting my money back. I've got a return label and seller is paying for all costs. I just want to understand what would happen if he decides to partially refund me because I took apart whatever was built and shipped it back that way.

Partial refund should not be an option at this point. If he causes a stink and tries to hold out, just communicate well and eBay will almost certainly side with you. They lean toward the buyer normally anyway, but often succumb to whomever puts the most pressure on them. I say this because I've had to fight for a fair result more than once (as a seller). Usually it's not too bad, however.

I'm also completely on board with Alpinemaps' approach to it. Do things right and you don't have to be looking over your shoulder the whole time. There are some folks around here with lots of attitude that make the entire "industry" seem much more negative than it is.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grynn said:

I'm also completely on board with Alpinemaps' approach to it. Do things right and you don't have to be looking over your shoulder the whole time. There are some folks around here with lots of attitude that make the entire "industry" seem much more negative than it is.

I learned that it does not matter what you do on eBay in general.  Once you get scammers buying your stuffs, Paypal will side with the scammers 8 out of 10 times regardless of how great of a seller you are :drag:

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

I've never subscribed to that. Never saw the need. I've been on eBay since it opened. Always had one account. Never bothered me to have my selling and my purchasing in the same place. In nearly 20 years it hasn't made a difference.

I buy using my buying account which is set up as a Private Seller which is also useful for selling sets in my collection which were not intended for investing hence, I don't declare this to the tax man as it's a capital gain (if there's less than £11,100 profit) not an income. It's not a good idea in the UK to mix Private & Business sales.

It's also feels really good to let rip at a really bad seller who sends crap and ignores message without affecting your business reputation. I also use the same account for reporting knock-offs and asking sellers questions that most don't want to hear.

Each to his own I suppose ;-)

Next chapter in my glued parts fruitcake seller saga. Here's what I wrote to him after packing the set back up for return:

I have prepared the item for return shipping and will post it Monday morning. I have put all the glued pieces in one large ziploc bag and taped that bag shut. I would recommend disposal of these items upon receipt (as they no longer count as LEGO parts) or at least a clear mention in a future listing that certain items have been glued.

So the seller responds back the next day with this:

hello, thank you for your cooperation in this matter. we will re-list the set as it was for parts, no returns for any reason

WTF.

In the meanwhile, my "accidental" purchase of another 71006 for $75 turns out to be a way better find - looks like 90% complete, all minifigs, plus a bonus hotdog cart from the 60104 Fire Station and a Zombie spawner from Minecraft the Dungeon. Oh, and some MegaBloks.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Next chapter in my glued parts fruitcake seller saga. Here's what I wrote to him after packing the set back up for return:

So the seller responds back the next day with this:

WTF.

In the meanwhile, my "accidental" purchase of another 71006 for $75 turns out to be a way better find - looks like 90% complete, all minifigs, plus a bonus hotdog cart from the 60104 Fire Station and a Zombie spawner from Minecraft the Dungeon. Oh, and some MegaBloks.

I think you were too generous with this particular seller.  They obviously either don't care or don't feel glued Lego parts matters and doesn't need to be mentioned.

• Like 3