Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I started selling Funko a few months ago and this week, an eBay fruitcake told me I shipped her a SS Joker (common), when I sold and shipped her the SS Joker [Suit] Walmart exclusive.  I got 6 of these from Walmart.com, checked them over carefully, and it doesn't even make sense that a regular Joker would be mixed with the WM exclusive, since the exclusives came 6 to a case and wouldn't be intermingled with commons.  Also, I've never even had any common Jokers, nor any common Suicide Squads at all.  She took a picture of a common Joker in my shipping box (not sure why she depicted it in the box other than to act like it came in my box), and it wasn't even in the box the same way I packed it.  She requested a return, which I'll probably have to do, since eBay will just side with her anyway.  I've never had so many issues with any product until I started selling Funko.  On AMZ Marketplace, I had a buyer claim I sent her a "fake item".  Her message literally was just "fake item" and her complaint to AMZ was "fake item".  It was a Funko Shop exclusive that had just been released.  I sent AMZ my order receipt showing the item direct from Funko, and after some back in forth, they denied her claim, but then they blocked me from selling a second of the same item (even after more back and forth and more evidence).  On top of that, I had some other items blocked because of the defect caused by the unsubstantiated "fake item claim".  Needless to say, I'm dumping the rest of my Funko and getting out...too many Funko fruitcakes.

Edited by I am Niko

3 minutes ago, pzyluke said:

Wow, if that happened to me, someone would have to convince me not to go to their house and punch them square in the nose. Despicable.

Worst part of all of this is that my father is in the ICU right now, barely clinging to life.  I even let the scammy buyer know this, in case it took me a little long to reply (I've still messaged her back within an hour on everything).  No sympathy, no nothing.  Just continues telling me I made a mistake and that I need to correct it.  She'll probably get her money back and swap the common Joker back to me, but I hope she gets what she deserves in the end.

1 minute ago, I am Niko said:

Worst part of all of this is that my father is in the ICU right now, barely clinging to life.  I even let the scammy buyer know this, in case it took me a little long to reply (I've still messaged her back within an hour on everything).  No sympathy, no nothing.  Just continues telling me I made a mistake and that I need to correct it.  She'll probably get her money back and swap the common Joker back to me, but I hope she gets what she deserves in the end.

Karma always wins.  Always.

• Like 3

You could try appealing to eBay's twitter help, they tend to be more personable (and know exactly who you need to talk to). Could try getting someone on the phone too - I've seen eBay sit on the fence by siding with the seller but refunding the buyer out of their own pocket (and vice-versa) just to make nice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pzyluke said:

You could try appealing to eBay's twitter help, they tend to be more personable (and know exactly who you need to talk to). Could try getting someone on the phone too - I've seen eBay sit on the fence by siding with the seller but refunding the buyer out of their own pocket (and vice-versa) just to make nice.

Thanks, I'll let her return the incorrect item and see where to go from there.  I once called eBay for a similar issue many years ago, and they rejected my appeal, but finally gave me $10 or so in eBay GC to shut me up (they also still collected FVF from me, even though I was forced to accept a return and refund the buyer, since I "decided to contest the case").  The financial hit on this one isn't bad, but I absolutely hate dishonesty, and it's terrible how eBay enables it and helps perpetrate scams.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll let her return the incorrect item and see where to go from there.  I once called eBay for a similar issue many years ago, and they rejected my appeal, but finally gave me $10 or so in eBay GC to shut me up (they also still collected FVF from me, even though I was forced to accept a return and refund the buyer, since I "decided to contest the case").  The financial hit on this one isn't bad, but I absolutely hate dishonesty, and it's terrible how eBay enables it and helps perpetrate scams.

Make sure you report her to eBay. Most likely this is not her first time doing this, and it may help fellow sellers down the line.
Hope your father is doing better.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, I am Niko said:

Thank you and I will of course report her when she completes the scam.

If you used the United States Postal Service, I believe it is also mail fraud. Make sure to report it as it will be a felony. I always video record  the packing of items that I send.  I also video record items I receive as I open the shipping box. 

Also whether they are true collectors or resellers, sometimes people that order a lot of stuff all at the same time  from different sellers can get parcels confused and claim incorrect item sent.

An eBay customer started a return for an item with a message stating the "manual is folded and damaged".  The set was sealed so I'm not sure if they are trying to pull a fast one on me or not.

Is it common to win a case for this sort of dispute or should I just accept the return and move on?  I messaged them to offer a partial refund so I could just be done with it and move on.  I'm waiting to hear back.  Just trying to determine if I should take a hard stance on this one or eat the return shipping and potential damage to the set and/or missing pieces/figs.

I would take a hard stance. Manuals often come folded over in sets that don't have a hard cardboard backing with a bag. What was the specific set? How much is another manual? For somebody to try to take a hard line that the value of the set is reduced because the manual was folded AFTER opening the box and making it no better than an open box set, that is....fruitcake-ish.

17 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

An eBay customer started a return for an item with a message stating the "manual is folded and damaged".  The set was sealed so I'm not sure if they are trying to pull a fast one on me or not.

Is it common to win a case for this sort of dispute or should I just accept the return and move on?  I messaged them to offer a partial refund so I could just be done with it and move on.  I'm waiting to hear back.  Just trying to determine if I should take a hard stance on this one or eat the return shipping and potential damage to the set and/or missing pieces/figs.

If the set was sealed, and you sent it sealed, then you've sent it new.  I'd say it's not a SNAD case.

Unfortunately, eBay always sides with the buyer. They may win the case and you will have to accept the return. Did you explain to the customer that the set's manual is supposed to be folded?

I would ask an eBay cs if they have a history of doing this kind of thing. Check her feedback sent and recieved as well.

4 hours ago, BrickLegacy said:

2 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

Unfortunately, eBay always sides with the buyer. They may win the case and you will have to accept the return. Did you explain to the customer that the set's manual is supposed to be folded?

I would ask an eBay cs if they have a history of doing this kind of thing. Check her feedback sent and recieved as well.

eBay does not always side with the buyer. I've disputed more than one situation and come out on top as the seller. The key is to be persistent and patient. If you run into a wall with the CS person then ask for their supervisor. Don't take no for an answer. This kind of thing is ridiculous and should not be enabled.

Now if they are claiming it showed up not sealed that is a different matter. But how are you supposed to be held responsible for the condition of something in a sealed box?  C'mon people!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grynn said:

eBay does not always side with the buyer. I've disputed more than one situation and come out on top as the seller. The key is to be persistent and patient. If you run into a wall with the CS person then ask for their supervisor. Don't take no for an answer. This kind of thing is ridiculous and should not be enabled.

Now if they are claiming it showed up not sealed that is a different matter. But how are you supposed to be held responsible for the condition of something in a sealed box?  C'mon people!

When one gets those kind of ridiculous cases it makes me wonder if that person was a legitimate buyer or your competitor trying to screw 

1 minute ago, trstnkn said:

Trick question...

"Is the listing 8 ozs or 1/2 lb?"

Yes, I received this from a fellow USA eBayer.

And how do you handle the people asking for discounts for their child who only has $45.62 on a $49.99 listing?  

The difference is not that big . I would cross out the child part and see if it a reasonable offer based on what u are selling , current prices and your buy in .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bold-Arrow said:

The difference is not that big . I would cross out the child part and see if it a reasonable offer based on what u are selling , current prices and your buy in .

I know...just smells funny.  Why do I have to cough up money when the parent clearly can, or the parent can teach the kid to pay asking price?  One step away from the "Veterans Lego Support Network" that I need to donate my $200 set to.

The best was when a "mom" wrote me asking for a $200 discount on my used Cafe Corner because her son vows not to resell it for at least 10 years...

Just now, tractorboy said:

Oh man this drives me nuts. And they always seem to have multiple copies to shift too.

I have no problem with the multiples but stop trying to lower the going rate. I think they're just too lazy to look up what's they're currently going for. Look, these customers were tardy to the party! They must pay.