Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Mhd747 said:

What service leaves the items at the post office?

It's called "Local Collect" if you send a lot of volume through the Royal Mail. I ship over 500 boxes a month and I'm allowed to use my old work account and just pay for what I use. Buyers can also pay 70p to collect from their local Post Office and I mention this as an option. Due to previous bad experiences, everything I send is now signed for. The bad news is that this will soon create horrendous queues at post offices once a lot more companies (and Joe Public) get on board. I have an informal agreement with my local post office (I know the shop owner) where I just drop off my mailing sacks (pre-paid online) before they open and I just pick up my proof of postage later on. If not, I face a queue of at least 12 people even during a quiet time and some of those are also eBayers with full sacks! There was an estimated 25 people queueing up at 1pm today probably gettting their car tax that they should've done online!

Someone with a brand new account with 0 feedback bought a $250 set from me at eBay. Average sold for the same set is about $210. Shipping address is a PO box. PayPal show seller protection is eligible. Should I ship it? Do I need signature for extra protection or just tracking is fine?

Edited by LegoEdison
  • Like 1

Someone with a brand new account with 0 feedback bought a $250 set from me at eBay. Average sold for the same set is about $210. Shipping address is a PO box. PayPal show seller protection is eligible. Should I ship it? Do I need signature for extra protection or just tracking is fine?

Ship away. A) you are protected. B) there are new buyers on eBay every day. Knock on wood I've never had a new buyer issue.

32 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Ship away. A) you are protected. B) there are new buyers on eBay every day. Knock on wood I've never had a new buyer issue.

And this "you are protected" is slightly different than the "oh my 160GBP Cloud Cities" 'you are protected'. As a seller you have no reason to suspect this buyer (whereas as a buyer you are expected be suspicious of sellers giving "too good to be true" deals - don't go for things you can be sure of to be a scam). Still - make sure you send to his verified address, use a shipping method with tracking and take pictures.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LegoEdison said:

my 0.02 : 

a. signature required +

b. buy insurance +

c. take picture of box and item before shipping +

d. note net weight. 

[ a+b based on your risk tolerance. veteran eBay sellers can chime. my experience on amazon tells me i need (a) and even with (a) .. A-Z is not gurantee. has to play case by case ]

since its a PO BOX most likely person will not go for non-receipt [if its a big item it won't fit on the box anyway so PO employee will definitely scan when handing over the package. so signature required may be moot in that aspect] most likely if its a scammer or something of that sort will get a return request for item not described or damaged box.

Edited by newbie77

• 2 weeks later...

This is Amazon not eBay but I didn't see anything else close. I thought this was cute. Amazon wants me to "Buy it again." Well, sure I will, if you charge me the prices I paid last time 'cause I don't need them for the prices listed now...

Amazon.JPG

• Like 3

I've never understood the benefit of selling on ebay via best offer, it seems like most sellers don't even entertain offers if you offer any less than £10 less than asking price.

You would assume most people would accept 5-10% off asking price, not 1-2%.

I've never understood the benefit of selling on ebay via best offer, it seems like most sellers don't even entertain offers if you offer any less than £10 less than asking price.

You would assume most people would accept 5-10% off asking price, not 1-2%.

I always assume (and accept) a BO that's within 10%. Main advantage of offering it (for me, anyhow) is (1) appealing to buyers who may be looking for a [bulk purchase] "deal", and (2) even a click decline can help you gather feedback on what may be an overly ambitious expectation on your pricing.
  • Like 1

This is an email from Disney. I didn't see another "fruitcake" thread so...

Dear Guest,

We want to hear from you!

You’ve been selected to participate in an exclusive online survey for Disney
customers like you. The survey will be approximately 40 - 50 minutes and will
ask about your family entertainment and travel preferences and behavior.

We value your feedback and hope you’ll share your thoughts. We have hired
Lieberman Research Worldwide, an independent market research company,
to help us with this survey. Please be assured that your responses will be
kept confidential and your information will not be sold or used for direct
marketing or promotional purposes. Our research company will share your
responses with us so that we can better understand our customers' needs.

Thank you in advance. We appreciate you taking the time to
complete our survey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcdfan said:

This is an email from Disney. I didn't see another "fruitcake" thread so...

Dear Guest,

We want to hear from you!

You’ve been selected to participate in an exclusive online survey for Disney
customers like you. The survey will be approximately 40 - 50 minutes and will
ask about your family entertainment and travel preferences and behavior.

We value your feedback and hope you’ll share your thoughts. We have hired
Lieberman Research Worldwide, an independent market research company,
to help us with this survey. Please be assured that your responses will be
kept confidential and your information will not be sold or used for direct
marketing or promotional purposes. Our research company will share your
responses with us so that we can better understand our customers' needs.

Thank you in advance. We appreciate you taking the time to
complete our survey.

And they were going to compensate you at your hourly rate?  Or was it the fake TRU "enter a drawing" they do for reviews that I'm sure never get drawn.  Has anyone ever won that?

Just now, Sfcommando14 said:

And they were going to compensate you at your hourly rate?  Or was it the fake TRU "enter a drawing" they do for reviews that I'm sure never get drawn.  Has anyone ever won that?

I googled the TRU one a long time ago and it seemed legit or at least they spent the time leaving comments that reflected such. No, Disney didn't try to entice me in any way. Just, Hey, we're Disney and you love us. You'll do it. Sure...

• 4 weeks later...

Got an email from a
Buyer about a costume I had for sale. Said she had 2 autistic kids and wanted the costume for one of them but couldn't afford my price. I agree to a lower price and ship it for free to her. She sends me another email saying it is damaged and wants a partial refund = about 2/3 of the total price.
Needless to say I have some complaints about this. First off, as someone with a loved one who it autistic, I think it is pathetic to use that as an excuse to get a cheaper price. I should have never agreed to this arrangement, as now I will be losing money. Some people are just plain scum.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

Got an email from a
Buyer about a costume I had for sale. Said she had 2 autistic kids and wanted the costume for one of them but couldn't afford my price. I agree to a lower price and ship it for free to her. She sends me another email saying it is damaged and wants a partial refund = about 2/3 of the total price.
Needless to say I have some complaints about this. First off, as someone with a loved one who it autistic, I think it is pathetic to use that as an excuse to get a cheaper price. I should have never agreed to this arrangement, as now I will be losing money. Some people are just plain scum.

Make her return the item for a full refund.

• Like 6

Got an email from a

I've received this type of message before as well, about some of my items for sale. I don't give in, only because I've read about this type of scam on various sites. I delete, not even worth a reply IMO.
  • Like 4

On 6/27/2016 at 10:16 AM, lodibricks said:

really wish we had some offsite bad-seller list if we can't have one here. Maybe make a badpicker.com. :)

I agree with that. I also wish we had bad Buyer list for all the shady resellers who buy and want the lowest item price, maximum quantity put in parcel to lower shipping cost, and then complain when 1 out of 10 or 20 kits gets dented in the shipment. Using blackmail of bad feedback to get a partial refund. Or the reseller that hides under the guise as a collector and says before the sale "do you have any in perfect condition? I'm a collector and I want, 10". Or the same "collector" says "please pack well and do not include an invoice". I'd block everyone on that list.

If this offends you then, you're that reseller. If you disagree, good for you. "Good, good...let the hate flow through you."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Average Guy said:

I agree with that. I also wish we had bad Buyer list for all the shady resellers who buy and want the lowest item price, maximum quantity put in parcel to lower shipping cost, and then complain when 1 out of 10 or 20 kits gets dented in the shipment. Using blackmail of bad feedback to get a partial refund. Or the reseller that hides under the guise as a collector and says before the sale "do you have any in perfect condition? I'm a collector and I want, 10". Or the same "collector" says "please pack well and do not include an invoice". I'd block everyone on that list.

If this offends you then, you're that reseller. If you disagree, good for you. "Good, good...let the hate flow through you."

please pack well and do not include an invoice?

So I ordered a new The Zombies set.  It arrived yesterday. This is one smaller set I can't get enough of when a good deal is around.

the eBay seller folded the box in-half and stuffed it into a medium flat rate USPS box. 

I basically sent the seller an eBay message scolding him and ended it by asking "why?"

• Like 5