Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

On Bricklink, sure, the listing is all sorts of contemptible.

On Ebay?  Not so much.  I think the most misleading part is he has a stock photo of a sealed box.  If he said "No minifigure complete set" and included images of the opened box / bags you're actually getting, I'd be inclined to consider it pretty kosher with Ebay's norms.

• Like 2

So I just put my space slug on with the poly and poster, and CLEARLY stated what was in the listing. 20 minutes later got a message asking whether the invitation was included and that little competition leaflet that were in the shops. This seller was from the UK this time. What is happening?? 

13 minutes ago, darkhorseoflego said:

So I just put my space slug on with the poly and poster, and CLEARLY stated what was in the listing. 20 minutes later got a message asking whether the invitation was included and that little competition leaflet that were in the shops. This seller was from the UK this time. What is happening?? 

Perhaps he hopes for a skin cell of yours so that he may clone you.

On 5/3/2016 at 7:27 PM, Alpinemaps said:

Mine went to Plano, Texas today also.

So, to add some nuts to my Plano, Texas fruitcake...

Tracking shows that it arrived (and departed) late last night in Kearny, NJ.  Umm...I think it's going on a nice trip.  Great.

So I put a FO stormtrooper poly up on Ebay last Thursday with BIN and the option of best offer. I had one person make a lower offer, to which I returned a counter offer for $16. Friday morning they countered that, which I declined. A few minutes later I had another offer from them at $16, which I accepted. I have yet to receive payment or any messages from them. Checking their feedback, I see a lot of their buyer feed back talks about how quick their payment was. 

So did this guy just get vindictive and decide to tie up my sale? Have other people had good luck with sending messages to people to remind them that you haven't received their payment yet? 

Just now, Sharkbait said:

So I put a FO stormtrooper poly up on Ebay last Thursday with BIN and the option of best offer. I had one person make a lower offer, to which I returned a counter offer for $16. Friday morning they countered that, which I declined. A few minutes later I had another offer from them at $16, which I accepted. I have yet to receive payment or any messages from them. Checking their feedback, I see a lot of their buyer feed back talks about how quick their payment was. 

So did this guy just get vindictive and decide to tie up my sale? Have other people had good luck with sending messages to people to remind them that you haven't received their payment yet? 

There is probably no issue whatsoever - I would just send the buyer an invoice (as a reminder).

Regarding the feedback - Most feedback that people leave are just the same standard feedback that they leave for everyone (unless something is out of the ordinary).

• Like 1

On 5/9/2016 at 9:18 AM, KShine said:

There is probably no issue whatsoever - I would just send the buyer an invoice (as a reminder).

Regarding the feedback - Most feedback that people leave are just the same standard feedback that they leave for everyone (unless something is out of the ordinary).

Thanks for the advice. I sent the buyer an invoice yesterday, and still no response. The buyer has been active, I've looked at the items they have for sale, and multiple new listings have popped up since yesterday. Almost all his listings are used clothing (like worn Abercrombie t-shirts)

It has now been 4 full days, I hope I'm not being antsy. Looking at Ebay's policy, it states buyers have 2 days before an item is unpaid.

Edited by Sharkbait

13 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Thanks for the advice. I sent the buyer an invoice yesterday, and still no response. The buyer has been active, I've looked at the items they have for sale, and multiple new listings have popped up since yesterday. Almost all his listings are used clothing (like worn Abercrombie t-shirts)

It has now been 4 full days, I hope I'm not being antsy. Looking at Ebay's policy, it states buyers have 2 days before an item is unpaid.

Open an item unpaid item case if your sale meets the criteria... 4 days is too long for the buyer to not have responded, never mind not have paid.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Thanks for the advice. I sent the buyer an invoice yesterday, and still no response. The buyer has been active, I've looked at the items they have for sale, and two new listings have popped up since yesterday. Almost all his listings are used clothing (like worn Abercrombie t-shirts)

It has now been 4 full days. Looking at Ebay's policy, it states buyers have 2 days before an item is unpaid. 

7 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Open an item unpaid item case if your sale meets the criteria... 4 days is too long for the buyer to not have responded, never mind not have paid.

I usually wait a week before opening a case, but certainly by 4 days they should have paid (or at least responded with an explanation).

Non-payers/slow payers are just part of the deal, so just create a time frame that feels comfortable for yourself, and stick to it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KShine said:

I usually wait a week before opening a case, but certainly by 4 days they should have paid (or at least responded with an explanation).

Non-payers/slow payers are just part of the deal, so just create a time frame that feels comfortable for yourself, and stick to it.

You are being very reasonable waiting a week... I've never had to wait a week, but to me 4 or 5 days is enough. I've had buyers message me a few times in the best offer scenario that they couldn't pay right away and they always get more slack! Even then they've always paid in the next 48 hours.

Just now, gregpj said:

You are being very reasonable waiting a week... I've never had to wait a week, but to me 4 or 5 days is enough. I've had buyers message me a few times in the best offer scenario that they couldn't pay right away and they always get more slack! Even then they've always paid in the next 48 hours.

It doesn't really happen that often.

It does help that I almost always have another one of the same item available to sell (so no potential future sales are being lost).

I dont advise this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LEGO-SPACE-6883-TERRESTRIAL-ROVER-Custom-Complete-Orig-Instructions-/391457654752?hash=item5b24b1c7e0:g:SAoAAOSwubRXN7Mi

I BELIEVE IT IS 100% COMPLETE - EXCEPT THAT SOME OF THE PIECES (ORIGINAL LEGO PIECES) WERE THE RIGHT SHAPE BUT WRONG COLOR FOR THIS SET SO THEY WERE PAINTED SO THAT THEY MATCHED THE ORIGINAL PIECES. ONE 'SLANTY 2X2' BRINK WAS CUT IN HALF TO MAKE TWO 2X1 BRICKS 

• Like 1

I dont advise this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LEGO-SPACE-6883-TERRESTRIAL-ROVER-Custom-Complete-Orig-Instructions-/391457654752?hash=item5b24b1c7e0:g:SAoAAOSwubRXN7Mi

I BELIEVE IT IS 100% COMPLETE - EXCEPT THAT SOME OF THE PIECES (ORIGINAL LEGO PIECES) WERE THE RIGHT SHAPE BUT WRONG COLOR FOR THIS SET SO THEY WERE PAINTED SO THAT THEY MATCHED THE ORIGINAL PIECES. ONE 'SLANTY 2X2' BRINK WAS CUT IN HALF TO MAKE TWO 2X1 BRICKS 

WOW! That is awful!

Also move these to the fruitcake thread please mod overlords?

• 2 weeks later...

Argh ... first this buyer comes in with $50 then $60 offers on an item I'm listing for $90, then asks me a question

How much do you need. I made an offer for what they are selling for. Any counter offer?
Best offer is back and forth till a deal is made. How much do you need?
Last one sold for 60.00

As I am in no hurry to sell, I reply that offers would have to come in pretty close to $90 for me to consider them. Anyways, none of this is necessarily "fruitcake" territory - she's just trying to get a deal and I'm not budging. But then she sends me the following _AS A QUESTION_. As Ebay kept flagging it with a big red box "Unanswered question" I ended up replying with a simple "ok" just to get EBay off my back.

No thank you last 30 have sold around 60-69
So anything over that would be too much

Maybe my frustration is more with EBay than with this buyer ....

44 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Argh ... first this buyer comes in with $50 then $60 offers on an item I'm listing for $90, then asks me a question

As I am in no hurry to sell, I reply that offers would have to come in pretty close to $90 for me to consider them. Anyways, none of this is necessarily "fruitcake" territory - she's just trying to get a deal and I'm not budging. But then she sends me the following _AS A QUESTION_. As Ebay kept flagging it with a big red box "Unanswered question" I ended up replying with a simple "ok" just to get EBay off my back.

Maybe my frustration is more with EBay than with this buyer ....

I had a person recently offer me 50% off what I was asking. I politely refused and they kept raising their bid. I refused. 3 bids later they bought at full price.  It was the Gugenheim. Sold for $139.00 with free shipping.

• Like 1

@Phil B - I ran into the same thing.  There's a "mark as answered" option within your seller center.  I can't recall exactly which screen, but in one of the list views you can filter for "listings with unanswered questions" and then select "mark as answered" as one of the action options in a dropdown, IIRC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AirborneAFOL said:

@Phil B - I ran into the same thing.  There's a "mark as answered" option within your seller center.  I can't recall exactly which screen, but in one of the list views you can filter for "listings with unanswered questions" and then select "mark as answered" as one of the action options in a dropdown, IIRC.

I think it's on the listing page where you see that there are unanswered questions   You can toggle it to show that it's answered to get rid of that alert 

• Like 1