Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Just so you guys know not everything on ebay is a scam.......the more likely scenario is that newbie lego investor bought a death star to sell. When the time comes to sell it they are also new at the eBay thing. And because everyone here or mosty anywhere wont give zero feedback buyers/sellers a chance, they need to get a few small sales to prove to all the non beleibers that they are legit. That is probably whats going on most of the time. Everyone even Top rated seller and powers sellers had a low amouny of feedback at one time. The problem is that all the new members here read this thread and think that everyone is out to scam them. Paranoia is contagious 

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me...

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Just so you guys know not everything on ebay is a scam.......the more likely scenario is that newbie lego investor bought a death star to sell. When the time comes to sell it they are also new at the eBay thing. And because everyone here or mosty anywhere wont give zero feedback buyers/sellers a chance, they need to get a few small sales to prove to all the non beleibers that they are legit. That is probably whats going on most of the time. Everyone even Top rated seller and powers sellers had a low amouny of feedback at one time. The problem is that all the new members here read this thread and think that everyone is out to scam them. Paranoia is contagious 

I don't disagree, but when I see the same picture being used on the different sales that are strangely cheap, all of which have low feedback and from Essex alarm bells start to ring !! 

Just now, stephen_rockefeller said:

Oh for sure and I guess I didn't mean to use this particular ebay sale as example....just speaking generally.

Oh yes I appreciate that, I know not everything that happens on ebay is scam, and everyone has to start with 0 feedback so give people a chance.  My original post was merely a friendly heads up to all members that may be on the look out for that particular set that I smelt something fishy and would hate to see people on here get scammed, which my gut feeling tells me on these recent items is exactly what would happen. :derisive:

• Like 1

I'll only take a risk on a high value item from a low feedback seller if they are local. 

If you do like a gamble though, someone with 1 feedback has just posted an auction for a 10179 on eBay UK

I saw the 10179 auction as well. Literally just up the road from me, so I sent him a message requesting whether pick up and cash on collection is an option.

I saw the 10179 auction as well. Literally just up the road from me, so I sent him a message requesting whether pick up and cash on collection is an option.

Cash is definitely an option but he's probably in Vietnam this month so please mail it overnight and we can wrap this thing up...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cissi said:

just received my first set from eBay without minifigures... similar to what I have experienced with AWD... No idea that the scammers have extended their reach like this...... horrifying..... I hope the seller will do an exchange.

Are you sure it's because of the seller?

One of my biggest concerns as a seller is that I'm going to send out a set that legitimately doesn't have it's minifigures.  It will suck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

One of my biggest concerns as a seller is that I'm going to send out a set that legitimately doesn't have it's minifigures.  It will suck.

I can't bring myself to "like" that post, but I share the same concern. I have, more than once, opened a box and checked its contents when I wasn't absolutely sure is was intact.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

You're better off checking the seam where the box is/was glued together.

I have to say though, I buy from trusted sources, but even last 2 slave-Is that I purchased at local TRU stores could be a returns with missing stuff, darn it, now I need a very good scale besides magnifying glass...that's messed up

Edited by Lordoflego

21 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

It's a beat-up box set. My guess is it was from some sort of warehouse deals or sources... I suspect that it's probably a returned item. Similar technique was used. Seals look intact, bags are indeed SEALED... but WITHOUT any minifigures in them! How did i notice that? Because small 1x1 round pieces are all over in the big bag... and TLG does bag small pieces well.

Off topic, recently there are so many damaged box or open box SW EP7 sets out there on eBay....... I can't wonder what's going on....

3 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Item is $8. The question is "Will you sell this for $4?" So bad, I'd like to say "Sure, just use your persuasive ways to negotiate with eBay, Paypal & USPS to waive their fees & I'll toss in a free bubble mailer for you"..

just tell the guy, "Sure! Not a problem! If you can pick the item up in front of my house, I can certainly do that!"

The great irony...

I don't trust anyone on eBay, I hate to shop there. I think everyone is a scammer, even though I personally have only had one bad transaction, that wasn't terrible. And I don't know anyone personally who has gotten scammed hard.

Yet here I am, trying to figure out how to get people to trust me so I can sell them something on eBay.

I don't know if I feel like a sellout or a hypocrite, but I can't help but feel like someone is being entertained by my plight.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, donbee said:

The great irony...

I don't trust anyone on eBay, I hate to shop there. I think everyone is a scammer, even though I personally have only had one bad transaction, that wasn't terrible. And I don't know anyone personally who has gotten scammed hard.

Yet here I am, trying to figure out how to get people to trust me so I can sell them something on eBay.

I don't know if I feel like a sellout or a hypocrite, but I can't help but feel like someone is being entertained by my plight.

It's never wrong to be a bit cautious about who you dealing with but to say you think "everyone is a scammer" is just crazy. I have both bought and sold a lot of items on eBay and have only had an issue maybe 3  or 4 times. Most all transactions go without a hitch. I know for a fact there are lots of eBay sellers which are good people just trying to make a little extra money and have a good time doing it. From my experience there are lots of sellers which not only give you what was described but often give more than you ever expected. I have made a few packaging mistakes as a seller but as long as you are honest with the buyer most are really nice and understanding as long as you do what it takes to correct the problem.

So I say don't be afraid to either buy or sell on eBay. However as I said in the beginning it is never wrong to be cautious so if something does not seem right don't be afraid to walk away and try someone else. We all know there are some bad people trying to always take advantage of others no matter where you go. So always keep your guard up for them.

• Like 5